Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Which Winter month would you like to see a repeat of?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 hour ago, Bristle boy said:

Without any doubt it has to be January '79 - epic blizzards (i'll sneak in New Years Eve '78 to add on to the month of Jan). And...

December 81.

Snow, snow, snow down here

Was that the weekend when Spurs got thrashed 0-5 by the Gooners?:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, warm sunny summers.
On ‎05‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 20:36, Ed Stone said:

If I recall February 1969 correctly (Beatles @ #1?) there was both a fantastic polar low that caused a raging blizzard coupled with a sudden 7C temperature drop, and a massive blizzard (LP from the south) that dumped many inches of snow on the English Midlands...And, as they often do, went on to cause days of havoc around Newcastle?:)

Yep, about three weeks of snow here from Monday 13th January into early February. Probably one of the best since 1962/63 and not really repeated until 1978/79 and 1981/82.

It's reckoned the cold winters of the early/mid 1980's were due to the Mt St. Helens eruption.

• Like 1

Posted

February 2012 sticks in my mind, the freezing, de-frosting, and re-freezing of the snow ontop of the rooftops around these parts led to some spectacular icicles which clung on for days. April 2014 for the snowdrifts with fine powder-snow accumulating alongside the farm walls although that was only a brief couple of days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

December 2010. Not only was it cold and snowy, it was also very sunny - there were many days where the low sun shimmered off the snow. It was a lovely experience. Many other cold months that are easterly dominated end up exceptionally cloudy/drab.

5244448702_50c896cfff_z.jpg

There's another winter month I'd like to experience.. and that's February 1998. Sacrilege on this forum, I know, but what a month - an average high of 12C in Leeds with only 9mm of rain and lots of sunshine. Utterly bizarre for winter, and genuinely felt like April rather than February. Just as exceptional as December 2010 but for the opposite reason.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters with snow and hot sunny summers

february 2012: 10 days nonstop below 0°C, 40cm fresh snow at the beginning of the cold wave, and then minimum temperature during that period was between -19 and -12°C, max never above -6°C. 

Edited by El Niño

Posted
On 7 January 2017 at 08:56, cheese said:

There's another winter month I'd like to experience.. and that's February 1998. Sacrilege on this forum, I know, but what a month - an average high of 12C in Leeds with only 9mm of rain and lots of sunshine. Utterly bizarre for winter, and genuinely felt like April rather than February. 

And mid April 1998 felt more like February!  And it was Easter too boot, snowed everyday that Easter holiday weekend.

Winter months to experience again? Ones that I remember.

February 1986, February 1996, December 2009, January 2010, December 2010

If I was given just one wish of experiencing a winter month of the past that I did not see, it would be December 1981.

Posted

December 2010 sticks in my mind, and that was just AWESOME. Also January 2010 with the epic snow-falls and low temperatures. I know it didn't really come off that well to some ardent coldies, but February 2009. The snowy start for the first week and a bit, then a few cold days after the snow melted with a bit of sleet, and the warmish second half. Throw in February 1991 as a childhood memory. I was six at the time, and had these frog wellies (helped my Nan worked in a shoe shop). We lived in a tower block, and I remember me, my sister who was four at the time and my Mum almost rolling down a hill to head to the shops and having these jigsaw type story book from the paper shop. 

For months I am too young to remember / before I was born - January 1987 (I reckon this January will emulate it on the quiet), the whole winters of 84-85 (I was born Nov 1984), 85-86 and of course the epic 1978-79 one. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Of the winter months that I've experienced, I'd have to say December 2010. 

Out of months before I was born, the Januarys of 1958, 1959 and 1984 all particularly appeal to me.  The Februarys of 1969 and 1970 also stick out.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers