Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 29th December - Into mid-Winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
17 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

need to know which op runs to discard late on mucka! 

There still seems to be a propensity to over amplify late on in the op ECM runs. The 00z day 10 was thus although that run had a strange end with the Siberian ridge looking to bridge over to the Atlantic (cutting off a chunk of vortex to our east which would be just as 'mental' as the 06z GFS op. If that set up repeated on the 12z then jeez! 

i expect to see a less amplified version of the 00z run by late on but as I said earlier, the undercutting of the ridge is vital and also enough draining of the Euro heights to ensure a west based -NAO doesn't come into play. 

I'm not saying last nights 12z will be repeated, just that if we get similar amplification to this morning the ridge will just as likely be further West as East and my money would be on West.

Agree there is a good chance it is not as amplified as those runs but it is just a case of wait and see.The undercutting of the ridge, as you put it, and draining of the heights to our S/SW are reliant on several moving parts, the most important of which seems to be the behaviour of the closed Azores low.

Too many permutations here but essentially keeping it from phasing with the upper trough moving over the UK until later (so that we don't get West based -NAO) is the most important factor to draining those heights. Preferably it stays trapped and helps retrogress the Euro heights West.

Think we are debating degrees of agreement here. :)

Edited by Mucka

Posted

BBC automated look poor for this neck of the woods on NYD but gfs and ukmo look full of wintry promise to me? Esp places with reasonable altitude...Hoping for some sneaky upgrades by tomorrow..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
12 minutes ago, Spikey M said:

when does the ECM come out?

Hi, this thread may be of use for yourself and anyone else unsure of the update times

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
6 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

And the 3 at 120

gfsnh-0-120.pngUN120-21.GIFECH1-120.GIF.png

ECM halfway between GFS and UKMO as far as retrogessing Euro heights West.

Edit 144 is flirting with West based -NAO with the Azores low phasing with the trough but should recover to bring a Northerly at least.

ECH1-144.GIF?29-0

How amplified the pattern is upstream thereafter is another issue.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

ECM day 6 compared to yesterday

ECH1-144.GIF?29-0  ECH1-168.GIF?12

Pretty similar at this point which isn't bad considering how yesterdays 12z panned out. Better than the UKMO output as well in terms of amplification. The only real difference is the deeper US trough and perhaps the stronger ridge pushing out of the eastern seaboard.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

GFS out on its own then, ECM goes with the UKMO at 144

Not really, ECM is more a blend of the two. I would take ECM in a heartbeat over UKMO.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
2 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

I would disagree. But let's see how it pans out.

• Like 5

Posted
4 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

I would wait until the run is complete , far too early to say who is correct when we are up to 144

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
10 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

The ECM has a trough coming down from Iceland where as the UKMO doesn't

ECH1-144.GIF.pngUN144-21.GIF

there isn't much difference between ECM and GFS at 168hrs either,which is good continuity:)

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

ECM very similar to yesterday 12z at 168, just slightly less amplified. 

IMG_3388.PNG

IMG_3389.PNG

Edited by bradythemole

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

ECM not quite like the ukmo but not great it has to be said. Next couple of frames quite crucial for a cold run. 

IMG_5033.PNGIMG_5034.GIF

168 is good 

IMG_5035.PNG

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted

Yes apologies it was at quick glance as I'm trying to wolf down my dinner whilst keeping up with the ECM on my phone!

168 actually looks quite like the GFS strangely but a little flatter, will be interesting to see where this route goes.

Edited by Weathizard
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

How is the back edge snow going on the ECM?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

As the ECM appears to be a halfway house between the UKMO & GFS, would that suggest that the ECM isn't particular swinging in any direction, and could therefore slide towards either option, if of course both the GFS and UKMO options were the only two on the table. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Banbury said:

Also please consider 168 is FI in this set up given the variety of charts we are seeing

I think FI is around the 96 mark

• Like 1