Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 29th December - Into mid-Winter.

Posted

re my post last evening about the surface ridge over NE N America and it extending into the Atlantic, similar time frames for the 12z today show a deepish low is developed on the 12z today where the ridge was yesterday so the 168 chart near the UK looks nothing like that of yesterday. I will persevere and see how the 24 hour off the 168h-192h looks tomorrow. You never know it might re-appear!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Snow/Hail & Strong Winds

GFS 12z does begin to push increasing heights out of NE America around 198h which by 210h push up towards the Arctic. Hopefully this continues in the next runs.  

Capture 111.PNG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

High pressure linking from Italy in the East right across the Atlantic and joining up to form another High system covering the entire eastern seaboard of the United States.

+192

gfsnh-0-192.png?12

PPN running along the Jet stream and that's about as flat as it gets :-(

gfsnh-2-192.png?12

As with pretty much every single GFS run in the past 2 weeks it shows colder weather (this time in the form of cold zonality) spilling into the UK.

If it's not going to be cold then I would rather it stay dry and that's about all one can say about the weather for the foreseeable future.

Edited by EML Network
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, karyo said:

I don't know why there is this interest in the east US weather! There is not enough relevance to what happens here.

There is a far stronger link with southeast Europe, 9/10 we have the opposite weather of what the southeast Europe gets.

The best cold spells in the past were almost always preceded 5-7 days before by a spell of very negative EPO

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, EML Network said:

High pressure linking from Italy in the West right across the Atlantic and joining up to form another High system covering the entire eastern seaboard of the United States.

+192

gfsnh-0-192.png?12

PPN running along the Jet stream and that's about as flat as it gets :-(

gfsnh-2-192.png?12

As with pretty much every single GFS run in the past 2 weeks it shows colder weather (this time in the form of cold zonality) spilling into the UK.

If it's not going to be cold then I would rather it stay dry and that's about all one can say about the weather for the foreseeable future.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=2&ech=204

if  f1  right  the  fun  starts  jan  11  onwards  here  in the  uk

• Like 2

Posted

They say madness can be defined as doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result .

The retrogression on the GFS looks simple enough but note the gem doesn't go the same way as a weak trough develops mid Atlantic to prevent it. Signs on the ECM op that the same thing could happen. 

Just saying ..........

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.
20 minutes ago, radiohead said:

Look out Scotland...

gfs-0-213-3h.png?12

Dragging cold air across the Atlantic.

gfs-1-216.png?12gfs-2-222.png?12

I think that would bring in the coldest westerly I've even seen!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
2 hours ago, karyo said:

I don't know why there is this interest in the east US weather! There is not enough relevance to what happens here.

Not according to data gathered by the University of California. They see a link and have published a hemispheric composite to show what the data suggests.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
32 minutes ago, radiohead said:

A snow cover for almost everywhere by T240 on the 12Z GFS, with 46cm showing over high ground in Scotland.

gfs_asnow_eu_41.png

There looks to be a growing trend for the Euro trough to descend in our vicinity bringing cold (but not exceptionally cold, though just about cold enough for snow) unstable air, with the potential for some kind of easterly flow thereafter.

As Bluearmy has pointed out many times the Euro trough showing in the anomalies is gathering pace and something that could well deliver into the middle of Jan.

Its salient to take note regarding the anomalies, as all the semi pros/pros on here do. It's kind of clicked with me recently that the anomalies are the starting point and the Ops/Dets are are just that, deterministic within the wider pattern, determining the finer details within the bigger picture.

So a decent anomaly will increase the chances of a favourable synoptic pattern developing within that wider sphere.

But then there is also the "wildcard" as many of us look for, and as Steve M has highlighted for today.

But overall I'm pretty upbeat regarding the middle/latter part of Jan.

Lets see what ECM brings next....

Edited by chris55
  • Like 8

Posted
14 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Not according to data gathered by the University of California. They see a link and have published a hemispheric composite to show what the data suggests.

A link to that research would be appreciated.

Posted
3 hours ago, Law of averages!! said:

Isn't this what big Joe bastardi said in last few days or so...cold West side of the states, cold western Europe towards 10th onwards??... let's hope :D

I won't drag this out but from I remember of the tweet by Joe b...he was referring to the WEST COAST STATES being cold and WESTERN EUROPE being either cold or very cold at the same time, as if the western side of the states cold was being pushed into siberia and the cold there being pushed into eastern europe, into mainland Europe!!

Not tother way round... eastern seaboard into the Atlantic...that's how I read it but could be wrong??

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Model Discussion please, Thanks.

Posted

GFS op following the GFS det. In FI with deepening low pressures driving across Scotland and then into Europe bringing a cyclonic cold spell to us. I think this looks like the way forward next week what happens next  is still " up in the air"

lets see what the ECM brings later

tasac

Edited by There's a storm a coming

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
3 minutes ago, booferking said:

Over 40mins since the last post on the model thread says a lot really looking at the ens you can see why trending the wrong way again.

The 12z GEFS;

graphe3_1000_306_141___Londres.gif

Look, aside from small scale variability expected within an ens suite, very similar to the last few GEFS;

graphe3_1000_306_141___Londres (2).gif

graphe3_1000_306_141___Londres (1).gif

Not much change & not much to talk about from a cold perspective, apart from some frosty nights, until mid month where the last few GEFS have shown a fall away of 850hpa temps recently.

Certainly not trending any different to the last few GEFS IMO.  We continue to chase the FI carrot.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, booferking said:

Over 40mins since the last post on the model thread says a lot really looking at the ens you can see why trending the wrong way again.

Perhaps the latest GFS run at D16 has found a solution the the difficulty of the Northerly considering the strong vortex over Canada, now gone in this chart:

FDSl.png

Posted
12 minutes ago, AWD said:

The 12z GEFS;

graphe3_1000_306_141___Londres.gif

Look, aside from small scale variability expected within an ens suite, very similar to the last few GEFS;

graphe3_1000_306_141___Londres (2).gif

graphe3_1000_306_141___Londres (1).gif

Not much change & not much to talk about from a cold perspective, apart from some frosty nights, until mid month where the last few GEFS have shown a fall away of 850hpa temps recently.

Certainly not trending any different to the last few GEFS IMO.  We continue to chase the FI carrot.

That is not the 12z ens which i was commenting on that is 00z & 06z...

I see editing 12z ens in now and they are worse going the wrong way.

Edited by booferking