Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 29th December - Into mid-Winter.

Posted
16 minutes ago, Cloudy daze said:

Some alarmingly deep cold to ,government might need a cobra meeting !

IMG_1123.PNG

The GFS has often had a thing about overdoing cold temps over snow, I suspect that chart is a good example of it!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

I recall the 1978 well , but then it was an easterly in mid february when the north sea was very cold and thus the sea could not temper the easterly. Any views on how the north sea temps may limit the cold from an easterly in early January.

Posted

I've been looking at the GFS archive for past wintry periods, eg Feb 1981, Jan 1987, Feb 1991 - and one thing is for sure, as long as we can keep low heights in Europe then for me that's a big step in the right direction. 

The 06z keeps low heights there during the run, resulting in the easterly, albeit a long way off. 

So for me, I'll certainly be keeping a close eye on what's going on in Europe and the Med, as well as to the North West (Greenland/Iceland). 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
17 minutes ago, Paul said:

The GFS has often had a thing about overdoing cold temps over snow, I suspect that chart is a good example of it!

Two 6z runs in a row! Tells you it's not wise to drink early :nonono:#newpubrun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

And on a model related note it is interesting to see the 06z ensembles, the Op run is at the bottom end of the ensemble members but not a clear and unrealistic looking outlier like 24 hours ago. Looking better and better for cold imho.

gefsens850London0.png

Edited by Polar Maritime
To move discussion on.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I've been checking back through the CET since 1679 and can't find any that have had a bitterly cold Jan after a mild December, We will have to set a new trend if we want to see a cold Jan!

Posted
7 minutes ago, Doctor96 said:

I recall the 1978 well , but then it was an easterly in mid february when the north sea was very cold and thus the sea could not temper the easterly. Any views on how the north sea temps may limit the cold from an easterly in early January.

Negligible when looking at monthly averages at say Lowestoft. Jan 7.2oC/Feb 7oC/March 6.8oC 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, SteveB said:

I've been checking back through the CET since 1679 and can't find any that have had a bitterly cold Jan after a mild December, We will have to set a new trend if we want to see a cold Jan!

No but warm spells followed by extremely cold spells happen. Dec 86- Jan 87 is one that jumps out. I'm happy to have just a week not a whole month 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A few posts hidden, Any issues please contact a member of the team and not air it in here, Thanks.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
7 minutes ago, sorepaw1 said:

Very jealous of your location as we head into the New Year,  it does look like NE could see some hefty snow showers Sunday overnight into Monday.

Whilst my area is prime for some snow showers, no doubt the best place to be is the North York Moors which sticks out into the sea and eats snow showers for breakfast, dinner and tea!

69-779UK.GIF?30-6

Edited by Polar Maritime
To move discussion on.
  • Like 6

Posted
3 minutes ago, Daryl Dixon said:

No but warm spells followed by extremely cold spells happen. Dec 86- Jan 87 is one that jumps out. I'm happy to have just a week not a whole month 

True, just seeing snow will do me, but if we want that Easterly in  a couple of weeks times I bet the CET will be very low by then, and little chance of recovering once it sets in.

• Like 3

Posted
14 minutes ago, Doctor96 said:

A mild North Sea can be good and bad. As long as the air is cold enough to cancel out the mild effect it's fine. Also a higher gradient between air and sea will bring more precipitation.

• Like 6

Posted

A crucial set of 12z runs coming up, arguably the most important of the season so far. Would be nice to have the ukmo on board.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

A mild North Sea can be good and bad. As long as the air is cold enough to cancel out the mild effect it's fine. Also a higher gradient between air and sea will bring more precipitation.

I usually find that, as a rule-of-thumb, northerly-sourced air with uppers of about -9C or less is sufficient, for snow to fall to sea-level, on the coast...An easterly is an entirely different kettle of fish, however.:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

I usually find that, as a rule-of-thumb, northerly-sourced air with uppers of about -9C or less is sufficient, for snow to fall to sea-level, on the coast...An easterly is an entirely different kettle of fish, however.:D

Yes, usually -9 here off northerly, -12 needed off any Atlantic air

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE

Will the UKmo move in the 12z or will we have to wait till tomorrow anybody?? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
2 minutes ago, snowice said:

Can someone confirm the attached are the current out put times, ie we should see 12z before UKMO 

Posted

No more discussion on Meto forecasts please. There's a thread here for that

Edited by Paul
Added link
  • Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, snowice said:

Still time for changes, and we've seen some massive changes before, you only have  to look at last months massive flip from cold to mild, so caution still needed.

I think the fact that the first Northerly is nailed on (finer details aside) and the second one is almost in the bag leads to think, as we are in a cold pattern then it gives us a good platform to continue a colder theme, it's just what version of cold that will be.

And as many have said, we are in a far better position than the last 2-3 Winters. We are still in the game, just need the UKMO to play ball..... not long until we find out

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

IMG_2218.PNG

IMG_2219.PNG

Is this in with what the ECM is seeing??

fromey

Edited by fromey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!
3 hours ago, SN0WM4N said:

Looks to me like cold rain for lower levels. The 6z doesn't bring the v cold air at all.

gfs-1-216.png?6 gfs-1-222.png

Obviously far out in FI and they share similar pressure patterns, but the deep low that comes down to give us the northerly feed throws warmer air in front of it. But the high pressure is further north and may give us a better chance of an easterly. Just variations in the theme.

Yes indeed, it would be very marginal as modelled there.  Should have emphasised "could" - was rather referring to the potential for how it might pan out, something to keep an eye on anyhow.

Posted

I see the latest met office update suggests an increased confidence in the model output we are seeing lately (even daring to mention the word "snow"). If the UKMO model is not following the trend so far, it would indicate that the Meto are giving more weight to the GFS and ECM solutions. If that is the case, we should see the UKMO leaning back towards the other two... we'll see...

• Like 5