Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 29th December - Into mid-Winter.

Posted
Just now, Jonathan Evans said:

Milder air returning for Sun/Mon & a mid latitude block next week - ECM will catch up tomorrow

Lmao! Really it seems to be the other way round. If the GFS can get to where its at at T162hrs given its start point then that actually increases confidence that the signal for pressure to rise to the e/ne is very strong. There was always the chance that some milder air might get in temporarily so that's not really a big shock.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow
6 minutes ago, Jonathan Evans said:

Milder air returning for Sun/Mon & a mid latitude block next week - ECM will catch up tomorrow 

Cmon seriously

its not that simple

• Like 7

Posted

Notably the GFS 18z is showing low pressure over N Italy which ensures any building ridge to our east can't sink southwards. Whilst it is very slow in its evolution to a continental feed - it does still show this, so odds based on today's runs that we will not be influenced by the atlantic next week, has increased markedly to about 70%. 

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Jonathan - is this just an analysis of the GFS runs or do you know something we all don't ? 

I think it was just a cry for attention. 

A few tweaks here and there and GFS ok. Cannot believe the consistency of ecm. Hopefully the 0 will provide some resolution

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Ha ha..

Then pick up the signal an incurs the flow.....and offers these uppers:diablo:

gfs-1-204-1.png

• Like 2

Posted

I think we got to bear in mind, even if we get the amplification like the ECM is showing, it does not gurantee an easterly wind will develop, we could end up high pressure near or on top of us and in fairness, the GFS is seeing the hints but not quite getting there.

Conversly it won't take much for the ECM to back away to something more like the GFS is showing but it does look like pressure rising as we head into the weekend and into the start of next week is fairly likely.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
2 minutes ago, BurwellWeatherWatch said:

I think it was just a cry for attention. 

A few tweaks here and there and GFS ok. Cannot believe the consistency of ecm. Hopefully the 0 will provide some resolution

This is my personal assessment of the modelled synoptics using a blend of experience & probability

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, chris55 said:

ECM for USA still incredibly mild for the time of year in the mid term, days 9/10

ECMOPNA12_216_2.png

ECMOPNA12_240_2.png

That's what happened in our famous 91 cold spell re warm USA. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow

It so wants to do it you can almost taste it. I do hope its okay for me to post in this thread, its rare i would as i am no where near qualified enough. Just one thing i wanted to mention, considering we do get an easterly, those uppers don't appear to be that cold. The last thing i want is an easterly, but thats so marginal it keeps us all on edge right to the point of nowcasting rain or snow. That would top off this winter so far. Any thoughts from those with more expertise?

Edited by John Hodgson
Clarification
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow
6 minutes ago, Jonathan Evans said:

Short term upgrades now starting to appear - thurs/fri looking very good for some with accumulating snow - possible east coast surge a concern 

East coast surge ??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

The moment when you login and see 245 members in the model output room, you know something is happening :)

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

It's good to see where we have come from. Especially in the sake of the GFS which the differences are substantial. 

18z nowgfs-0-120.png?18 2 days ago gfs-0-168.png?18

18z nowgfs-0-168.png?18 2 days agogfs-0-216.png?18

ECM

nowECM1-120.GIF?10-0 2 days agoECM1-168.GIF?12

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
4 minutes ago, A Frayed Knot said:

IF.JPG

Was difficult to see.

• Like 8

Posted
3 minutes ago, John Hodgson said:

It so wants to do it you can almost taste it. I do hope its okay for me to post in this thread, its rare i would as i am no where near qualified enough. Just one thing i wanted to mention, considering we do get an easterly, those uppers don't appear to be that cold. The last thing i want is an easterly, but thats so marginal it keeps us all on edge right to the point of nowcasting rain or snow. That would top off this winter so far. Any thoughts from those with more expertise?

I can understand your concerns. At this range though the 850's might change, the main thing is to get the easterly with a strong enough flow and a deepish low over southern Europe to get the coldest air into the UK. If the easterly verifies then closer to the time we'll know more about snow chances.

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Although there are differences between the models in the alignment of the 'Scandinavian' High next week, isn't it more important that there are differences before then, certainly by Saturday Eve that would affect the potency of the initial north-west flow and the ability of cold air to stick around. Would anyone with access mind posting Metrociel charts for GFS18z, UKMO12z and ECM12z for T+96 alongside each other?

Cheers TE

Edited by The Enforcer

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter
19 minutes ago, Jonathan Evans said:

Good valid point I see where your coming from to some degree. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

This snapshot says it all really. 

Sinkin/flattening heights and dissolving the cold. .-mass spread continental and Scandinavia! !!..

Sorry but the gfs is just performing abismal. .

Its to me synopticaly ridiculous! !!!!

gfs-1-240-1.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 2