Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 29th December - Into mid-Winter.

Posted

There's clearly a wave moving in early Thursday crossing from Southern Ireland over very South coast of UK. If it occurs as modelled it could give me a serious dump of snow! It would be very ironic if cranky toppler JS got all the snow for himself lol

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE
Just now, January Snowstorm said:

There's clearly a wave moving in early Thursday crossing from Southern Ireland over very South coast of UK. If it occurs as modelled it could give me a serious dump of snow! It would be very ironic if cranky toppler JS got all the snow for himself lol

We don't mind your due a bit of luck:cold:

• Like 2

Posted

I know the mods don't like references to to forecasts but interesting  that the 10 day forecast was fairly clear on a westerly flow for next week. Last evening the scandi ridge got a mention on a diminishing likelihood. The eps have firmed up on it's probably since then (still not favoured) but to not mention the possibility seemed odd. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

I know the mods don't like references to to forecasts but interesting  that the 10 day forecast was fairly clear on a westerly flow for next week. Last evening the scandi ridge got a mention on a diminishing likelihood. The eps have firmed up on it's probably since then (still not favoured) but to not mention the possibility seemed odd. 

Maybe they got fed up of the models crying wolf? :)

• Like 4

Posted

ECM once again holding firm with its easterly evolution - very noteworthy, that's 5 runs now in a run, and well within the reliable timeframe, GFS backing away from its quick zonal onslaught, UKMO trending more towards ECM.

The models are showing the deep cold pool over SE Europe not going anywhere, a cut off low in this region would most likely help prop up any heights rises towards scandi. 

I suspect a half way house pattern will develop, i.e. heights will attempt to ridge in towards scandi, but not sufficiently north enough to produce the easterly, instead we will maintain surface low level cold off the near continent, with the far NW exposed to weak frontal attacks, a rinse and repeat pattern, with another attack from the NW, and perhaps a greater chance after that one for a sufficient building of heights NE.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Longer Ensembles showing cold clusters

pluim_06260_15D.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Bit like the other week when they were touting winds from the North East only moments before or after the runs switched on them... they were wrong then so maybe they will be wrong again this time and them Westerlies will turn to Easterlies...

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
1 minute ago, January Snowstorm said:

@Nick F looks very good for Southern Ireland though with us being below zero dew points too?

Yes, and the wetter3.de precip type charts show some flakes for south Wales and southern England on northern flank of wave ppn too, snow showers kicking in form the NW behind the wave

60_20.gif66_20.gif72_20.gif

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
2 hours ago, radiohead said:

Ukd0VNM.gif

What time frame is this chart please??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

For point-in basis. .

Anything following north/north eadt of m4 corridor on 18zgfs would highly likely be of snow precipitation. 

With mixing out of warming sector of air south west-wards..

However at this juncture. .there will be defined alignment of sectors of wet bulb/and upper air mixing. Equalling ..AGAIN making for 'now cast promo. 

Anyway the exactement of cold prolonging is another story until resolution. ..+36/48 hrs

gfs-1-90.png

Edited by tight isobar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GFS still bringing the Atlantic in on Saturday but the last 2 runs have made incremental improvements.

gfs-2-114.png?18gfs-1-114.png?18

Gfs 18z V 12z

gfsnh-0-120.png?18gfsnh-0-126.png?12

Edited by Mucka

Posted

Good news. The hi res 18Z HIRLAM has -6 uppers reaching the North Sea at 48 hours. 18Z GFS has -6 uppers barely reaching the Irish Sea at the same time.

Colder air, further east, quicker. When it comes to the fine line between snow versus rain these are the kind of margins that can make a big difference in places.

hirlamuk-16-48-0.png?09-2348-7UK.GIF?09-18

• Like 5

Posted

The GFS is beginning to get on my nerves now! for heavens sake just stop all this attention seeking. Anyway its better upstream with the direction of the PV and if that digs south like the ECM we should still force some ridging ne'wards.

Its not just the ridge that's important but the direction of the elongated PV, that keeps digging south you'll see an attempt to ridge ne ahead of it.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, frosty ground said:

GFS falling has been greatly exaggerated 

Yes it just didn't happen, sitting firm. How can two powerful models get it completely different so close - half way between won't be that good so I hope the GFS op is way out early on from its ENS - I feel a depressing morning in here though with the ECM again backing down.

Posted
Just now, festivalking said:

A severe warning with a yellow warning....mmm paper talking it up.

hope so got to much to do in and around

Posted

It's worth bearing in mind that the GFS ensembles are consistently heading colder. I'm very cool with the operational sticking out on a limb if it's getting less and less support from its buddies. Sooner or later the inevitable will happen and, knowing the GFS, will then produce an Armageddon op run.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
4 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The GFS is beginning to get on my nerves now! for heavens sake just stop all this attention seeking. Anyway its better upstream with the direction of the PV and if that digs south like the ECM we should still force some ridging ne'wards.

That would annoy me though as it is a mild ridge with a quick thaw. If it gave a roaring Easterly later I guess I could forgive it

gfs-9-132.png?18

Edited by Mucka

Posted
1 minute ago, Ali1977 said:

Yes it just didn't happen, sitting firm. How can two powerful models get it completely different so close - half way between won't be that good so I hope the GFS op is way out early on from its ENS - I feel a depressing morning in here though with the ECM again backing down.

What I don't understand is surely 1 or 2 of the runs in the last few days would show a scandi, but no, every single one has shown westerlies by Friday night. It's the equivalent of flipping a coin and getting heads 20 times in a row.

• Like 2