Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 29th December - Into mid-Winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Feeling bitter on the 12th in NW'ern areas near the coast battered by strong winds, snow showers and a clean cold upper flow:

gfs-1-96.pnggfs-14-96.png96-779UK.gif

Edited by IDO
  • Like 6

Posted

At no point does the GFS look like following ECM after D5 and it maintains the consistency of feeding lower pressure under the Greenland heights:

gfs-0-126.png

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, IDO said:

At no point does the GFS look like following ECM after D5 and it maintains the consistency of feeding lower pressure under the Greenland heights:

gfs-0-126.png

Yep, another ECM climbdown coming on the 18z, it hasn't been performing well with regard this next week or so. 

• Like 1

Posted

The channel low at D6 a bit further north bringing in a warm sector and warming out the uppers, so a rain event on this run:

gfs-1-156.png

Though this will chop and change for days to come...

• Like 1

Posted

By 150 heights much more prevelant over Iberia. Usually game over when that happens.

ecm good but given the backdrop to this winter of euro heights GFS seems much more likely to me. Each GFS run seems flatter than the one previously so the 6z run is not good news albeit hardly surprising as it's just a repeat of what we have already seen.

lets see what the GEFS say, but at shortish timescales I'd be surprised if the overall story is much different.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, January Snowstorm said:

I mentioned last night I saw nothing more than a 24 hour toppler. The 06z is firmly in that camp this morning.

Snow showers on Thursday/night

Just about to say the same, going on this run this is a pretty dissapointing short cold snap, albeit with the chance of snow about anywhere. I hope this isn't all this month has to offer.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

Assuming the feature isn't 'history' within 6 hours in which case something else will chop and change for days to come. Such is following the GFS with 4 runs per day and 6 hourly charts within it! 

Looking at the GEFS 0z run I was surprised it had over 50% support, hence the interest. I suspect it is quite likely as the PV and HP interlock with the jet sending satellite lows into the flow:

gfsnh-5-144.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!
6 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Yep, another ECM climbdown coming on the 18z, it hasn't been performing well with regard this next week or so. 

Not sure about that.  Leaving aside the ECM for now, the differences between the GFS and UKMO at 120 are stark. 

gfsnh-0-120.pngUN120-21.gif

More amplification on the UKMO and it doesn't blow up the low to the south of Greenland in the same way.  I certainly wouldn't be putting my weight behind the GFS just yet!

• Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, Radiating Dendrite said:

Firstly it doesn't have an 18z run and secondly next week has not happened so we have no way of knowing how well it has performed yet.

Ok, it comes out at 18z. I think we have a good idea on it not happening, but yes I agree we can't be sure!!

• Like 1

Posted

I was hoping to see some changes in the 6z to give some support in prolonging the cold but if anything it breaks it down faster. The 6z is even less amplified than previous runs and the odd one out of the main three. Having said the ECM and UKMO are also not agreeing with each other. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

A possible snow event in the south just need The low  further south not a done deal yet with the low to the south west channel low .

IMG_0209.PNG

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Whatever your thoughts on the gfs the 0z and 6z out to the 200 hour mark are almost identical.Rubbish id agree but thats how i see it.Also altho in fi the high pressure coming of the esb is still showing its hand.BA mentioned this so this may aid some decent ridging if it does varify .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
11 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Just about to say the same, going on this run this is a pretty dissapointing short cold snap, albeit with the chance of snow about anywhere. I hope this isn't all this month has to offer.

It hasn't happened yet so how can you say a disappointing short snap? If it was showing raging a easterly and snow you would be saying upgrade!! There's loads of time for changes

• Like 2

Posted

The d9 GFS chart is awful, with no potential, really dont want the trend in this direction>>>PV moving from Canada/Greenland to Siberia taking a week or so, blocking any height build to the NW and NE:

gfsnh-0-216.png

The Azores remaining the UK driver. Not good...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

To be honest I don't know why peeps bother paying much attention to either the 6 or 18z runs with the GFS, they are little better than the likes of NOGAPS from what I've seen. 

Less we forget it was the 6z that produced 'that run' a couple of weeks back, so why anyone thinks it's more likely to be right now I don't know.

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, Gustywind said:

To be honest I don't know why peeps bother paying much attention to either the 6 or 18z runs with the GFS, they are little better than the likes of NOGAPS from what I've seen. 

Less we forget it was the 6z that produced 'that run' a couple of weeks back, so why anyone thinks it's more likely to be right now I don't know.

why would it be worse than the 0z or 12z?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Gfs 6z looks very progressive compared to the Ecm 00z..Fingers crossed the ecm is right, it should be..it's a superior model!:D

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_144_mslp500.png

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_06_138_mslp500.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE
9 minutes ago, Ice Day said:

Not sure about that.  Leaving aside the ECM for now, the differences between the GFS and UKMO at 120 are stark. 

gfsnh-0-120.pngUN120-21.gif

More amplification on the UKMO and it doesn't blow up the low to the south of Greenland in the same way.  I certainly wouldn't be putting my weight behind the GFS just yet!

Storm Barbara was an example of how the GFS over does the minimum central pressure, even though it was a bad storm. I hope UKmo Gfs ecm start to agree between 120 144hrs so we see were this cold snap is going.12z should clear it up in this evenings outputs as the time frame is now approaching fast:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers
1 minute ago, ArHu3 said:

why would it be worse than the 0z or 12z?

Not sure, although I've seen posts in the past that say they have less data than the other 2 runs.

As I say it's just my perception from 12 years of model watching, they seem to come out with more volatile and extreme outputs than the 0 or 12 runs, be that cold, storms or heat.