Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 29th December - Into mid-Winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Much better GFS in the medium term with sliders under cutting Greenland "heights". Will send LP systems NW to SEE through the UK. Though uppers will be moderated, could be more interest than mini-ridge intervals?

12z  gfs-0-192 (5).png  06zgfs-0-198 (1).png

I think the heights building to Greenland is old news and GEM two cycles behind as per usual.

Should keep the colder background in situ a bit longer... 

• Like 1

Posted

I think the problem is, that the trigger moment is very close (the storm off the Eastern seaboard), if a model gets this wrong, then the rest is rubbish, and it looks like it really is a flip of a switch difference.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, IDO said:

Much better GFS in the medium term with sliders under cutting Greenland "heights". Will send LP systems NW to SEE through the UK. Though uppers will be moderated, could be more interest than mini-ridge intervals?

12z  gfs-0-192 (5).png  06zgfs-0-198 (1).png

I think the heights building to Greenland is old news and GEM two cycles behind as per usual.

Should keep the colder background in situ a bit longer... 

FI is out on Wetter. It's awful and SW'ly dominated. To get sliders you need much better heights than are being modelled on the 12z GFS.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy snow/ heatwaves
10 minutes ago, abbie123 said:

Gem upgrade to my eyes who said we wouldn't get no upgrades. :rofl:

IMG_0195.PNG

GEM ought be good at projecting weather from the northwest being a Canadian model.............sorry for the straw clutch.

Edited by chicken soup
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

gfs-0-180_tae0.pngRtavn1802.gifGFS vs UKMO

No LP coming out of Canada in the UKMO output.

edit,,,Sorry!  yes it's there.

gfseu-0-180_crk9.png

Edited by Dancerwithwings
  • Like 3

Posted

Tonights Spam Fritter award goes to the GFS, vile, vile, vile!

The UKMO looks a slight improvement compared to the 00hrs run, but still upstream looks flat at T144hrs. The GEM has more interest but still sinks the high and is never a model to trust.

Overall a very underwhelming evening so far. The ECM to come, we're into damage limitation mode now trying to feed on whatever scraps are left at the buffet table.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

If we compare the 2 at T144hrs we can see the UK has a cleaner looking flow coming se

UW144-21.GIF?06-17gfs-0-144.png?12

GFS already developing those secondary wave features which complicate the movement south of the coldest uppers.

Neither models promise anything long lasting but we may squeeze a few extra hours of something a degree or 2 colder via the UK evolution.We know what's following this -the Azores pest is lurking.

• Like 6

Posted
Just now, winterof79 said:

So as I read the thread.....it's all going pear shaped.....it's a mild and wet run and FI is mild too

Good job its FI then as it never verifies and it doesn't look a mild run up to 240 to me.Get a grip girls.It will be much colder later next week and some will get snow....again and after that well who knows.

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_gfs-1-162.png

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_gfs-0-162.png

What's shown on the GFS (and much of the modelling for that matter) is not even reminiscent of a toppler of yesteryear...it's even worse than that. Some of the winters of the late 90's and early 2000's (which were barren years) would put this one to shame so far. That's saying something- the fact we're having to scrabble around for the merest hint of a wintry shower should speak volumes.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Tonights Spam Fritter award goes to the GFS, vile, vile, vile!

The UKMO looks a slight improvement compared to the 00hrs run, but still upstream looks flat at T144hrs. The GEM has more interest but still sinks the high and is never a model to trust.

Overall a very underwhelming evening so far. The ECM to come, we're into damage limitation mode now trying to feed on whatever scraps are left at the buffet table.

Doesn't look vile to me? 

GFSOPEU12_165_2.png

GFSOPEU12_180_2.png

And if this bad boy could tuck in a little further west......with a favourable "wedge" ahead, then we would be in business. Looking at Steve M analysis of recent days its not uncommon to back things west somewhat with this type of low.

GFSOPEU12_192_2.png

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

What's shown on the GFS (and much of the modelling for that matter) is not even reminiscent of a toppler of yesteryear...it's even worse than that. Some of the winters of the late 90's and early 2000's (which were barren years) would put this one to shame so far. That's saying something- the fact we're having to scrabble around for the merest hint of a wintry shower should speak volumes.

Exactly, this PM flow lasts about 24hrs and the fact its getting this much attention shows how low expectations have become. Even many of the previous crud winters which were generally mild had a few northerly topplers, what shall we call this sad attempt, for it to be a toppler it at one stage needs to be vertical this is almost horizontal from the start. Unless the ECM can come up with something then the window of opportunity before the upstream pattern flattens out completely looks like delivering a few hours of slush on a hill.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
7 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I am not comparing with yesteryear.The drama on here is bordering on hysteria.It's forecast much colder next weekend and I am glad you are predicting a wintry shower.Also the snow before Xmas coated a good portion of West and north Yorkshire with any elevation.People should lower their expectations and maybe it would not be such a hammer blow when there is no Easterly

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 3

Posted
15 minutes ago, abbie123 said:

Gem upgrade to my eyes who said we wouldn't get no upgrades. :rofl:

IMG_0195.PNG

GEM, as I said it usually 2 runs behind other models with its evolution and at T180 only one GEFS has heights like that (well not as pumped). It cannot be taken seriously in situations like this. It is clear the window has gone >and no toppling ridge< will happen now.

The Pacific Ridge is dead by D3 and then its just a weak wedge of heights meandering in the flow, towards Siberia. No amplification so it is pretty hopeless for any long term cold. That could well be our best opportunity in January for a cold spell as FI looks mundane and with no signal for forcing to re-establish then little to be hopeful about as it stands today.

D16 op:  gfsnh-0-384 (3).png

I think the front loaded winter is an epic bust and we await to see if February can offer something. Hopefully the short cold spell will give some flakes to the north but not expecting anything newsworthy, especially for the south. A zonal two weeks after this brief PM flow looks the call.

• Like 2

Posted

Well Gfs is poor for coldies for sure, ukmo looks better at 144 although i would imagine the high will collapse towards the UK 24 hours later.Small window of opprtunity for something wintry on ukmo, and a window so small on Gfs you'd need to be an ant to get through it..

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, chris55 said:

Am i in the ramp/moan thread??? hard to tell!

Lol! If we didn't have anything to moan about then this thread would have about 2 posts an hour! I admire your optimism but the GFS is pants, the 850's will likely be watered down further. Never trust the models 850 projections in PM flows until much closer in. We need more amplification which if by some miracle happened then you might get a shortwave to track se more favourably with more cold air in place. Anyway the ECM might salvage the evening, the UKMO was a bit better than this morning so lets hope the ECM can at least squeeze out a bit more interest.

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, IDO said:

A zonal two weeks after this brief PM flow looks the call.

a zonal two weeks?  the anomalies beginning to drop out completely on the latest gefs so not sure anything can be guessed at.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, bluearmy said:

a zonal two weeks?  the anomalies beginning to drop out completely on the latest gefs so not sure anything can be guessed at.

I suppose it is the logical way forward Nick given the way the ops are progressing. There is little to force a change? 

Posted
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

What are you expecting then? I see little to prevent the PV from getting more organised, so zonal looks favourite. Looking at the GEFS at D16 (usual caveats) and they are insipid.

• Like 2