Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 29th December - Into mid-Winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Gfs is nothing but a tease. 3rd time a charm surely nothing can go wrong.:rofl:

gfsnh-0-324.png

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Not what I'd call an 'inspiring' run, that...Sort of back to square one, or square two or even square three. Models and pros are all struggling to see the way forward, I think?

Interesting though!:D

You missed my post where all three main extended ens products are showing the same 10/15 day output then?

id say that's unprecedented this winter 

if you're asking me if I am confident in what they show then that's another question entirely! 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, karlos1983 said:

It would appear the ecm op was an outlier, so that would tie in with your musings @Catacol ? 

IMG_5109.PNG

On.y if you believe yesterday's day 10 ECM over today's karlos 

fwiw, the London eps graph now shows the warm up 6/12th Jan with the op very much in the warm side as might be expected. 

need a couple more runs to cement this cross model type agreement though the mid range not so much as yet. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Morning all and a very happy new year.:)

We have lost any sign for now of sharing some of the deep cold which is now heading into E.and C,Europe.It looks like we will find ourselves with a high pivoting around or near the UK for the next 10 days.The signal for Atlantic- and to some extent Pacific amplification- has certainly been fading in recent outputs as the vortex extends across to the north restricting any ridging of the Atlantic high.

gens-21-1-168.pngEDM1-168.GIF?01-12

Later gefs does suggest any colder air is now more likely from the north west in week 2 as the jet eases south and it's axis swings more nw-se which forces the high to retreat.

Edited by phil nw.
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
On 31/12/2016 at 10:49, stewfox said:

The last 10 GFS runs have been good,bad,good,bad etc

Small correction of 1,000 miles west at T120 could deliver. Optimism for New Years Eve.

h850t850eu.png

900 miles ? 24 hrs later 20% chance of something happening

h850t850eu.png

Background signals failed to deliver in December but some folk writing off the rest of January based on back ground signals ?  

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

That's a pretty decent cluster going cold 

IMG_5111.GIF

Now I know a lot will say "but that's days away" etc, but it's what we've got to work with, and eventually it will be right? Law of averages surely 

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

If....or should I make that IF, we do end up getting the much sought-after easterly this winter, then I would not expect it to have been consistently modelled from ten days out, but something that appears, especially with across the board agreement,  at just two or three days notice.

I don't believe the models have a real grip on such a situation, hence the seemingly repeat pattern of tease-disappoint-hope.

I seem to recall Dec 2012 being a month of optimism that never materialised culminating in a disappointment that led to some saying the chance had gone for the first three weeks of January (some for the rest of winter). Very soon after we were getting very well behaved grail if not exactly the holy type!

I'm encouraged by the two and fro of the models at the moment and believe we will end up with something similar if not better than 2013. And that will do me.

Edited by Timmytour
To correct autocorrect!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

IMG_5111.GIF

That's true, Karlos...But pretty-much everything past January 8 looks rather like chaos to me?:D

Posted

A great GEFS coming, again. It would nice if it got something right this year, and stuck with the general idea .

this day 11 mean is up there with the best runs a few days ago.

IMG_3942.PNG

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

A great GEFS coming, again. It would nice if it got something right this year, and stuck with the general idea .

Really? Just going through the ENS I don't see anything great within 10 days or so...

edit it just seen above: day 10 mean is abojt as useful as a chocolate fireguard to be honest! 

Edited by Weathizard

1 hour ago, karlos1983 said:

IMG_5111.GIF

Now I know a lot will say "but that's days away" etc, but it's what we've got to work with, and eventually it will be right? Law of averages surely 

GENERAL CHART INFORMATION APPEAL

A Happy New Year to you Karlos and to everyone else who reads or posts on the model thread and to all the moderators. I just want to raise a point that might help a lot of readers on here, not just newbies. When a chart is posted that does not specifically state what it is showing, it can be confusing. Your chart here is a good example. I believe that it is showing 2m surface temperatures for London but one has to pause to think whether it might be the 850s. It would make it better for everyone if you could just say "London 2m temps" above or below the chart. Similar charts often appear from other posters on the model thread for Manchester or Aberdeen but sometimes do not state the location and I find that I need to check the latitude (which is usually shown at the bottom) to confirm the location. So, this is definitely not a criticism of you (that is not my style and I could just as easily have done a reply post to anyone else where this point is relevant) but hopefully a helpful observation. My point also applies to many other charts where it is not always completely clear what is being shown to us. I will be back with my next full report very late on Tuesday evening. 

Edited by Guest

Posted
29 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

IMG_5111.GIF

All though a lot of scatter after day 10, a trend defiantly developing, Surly nothing can go wrong.

A very HNY to everyone from the King lurker.

Edited by snowflakey
bad spelling
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, Weathizard said:

Really? Just going through the ENS I don't see anything great within 10 days or so...

edit it just seen above: day 10 mean is abojt as useful as a chocolate fireguard to be honest! 

Using it to make a deterministic forecast yes but if it has a mean Atlantic ridge up towards Greenland, then that shows that colder than average conditions with a NW / N flow is more likely RELATIVE TO CLIMATOLOGY, examination of the individual runs (which with GEFS we jhave access to) is the best method to find out more, if your saying a day 10 mean chart is useless then what day mean is usefull?????    d6 and below I would always use op runs for, if you believe that the GEFS Are useless then that's your view but that wouldn't mean all ens models are.

• Like 3

Posted
13 minutes ago, Johnp said:

Looks like a large number of cold runs back in the 6z GEFS from day 10 onwards.

Just when I was going to give model watching a break for a couple of days, and now I'm eagerly anticipating (as I'm sure a lot of us will be) viewing runs to see if this trend is maintained..... arghhh!!

• Like 2

Posted
24 minutes ago, Johnp said:

Looks like a large number of cold runs back in the 6z GEFS from day 10 onwards.

I went through them all and about 14 out of 20 are "good" looking runs for coldies in FI.

• Like 3

Posted

I'm dubious of any output that removes the now cemented higher pressure over southern Europe until its shown within T168hrs.

We've been chasing lower heights for weeks and as yet nothing has materialized. There seems to have been an inbuilt bias this winter to lower heights in that region in the longer range modelling which subsequently implodes.

I'd advise people to keep their sanity intact and wait till we see a strong constant signal which gets through to the day 7 timeframe and not be seduced by the GFS or any other model which suggests the demise of that higher pressure.

• Like 7

Posted

The GEFS anomolies consistent with previous run (and other models ) days 10/15. This suite builds a mean mid Atlantic ridge quite early in its low res so not without interest in that regard. Let's see what the 12z's bring. 

Clusters point to northwesterly flow in the 8 to 12 day timeframe 

• Like 7

Posted
6 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

The GEFS anomolies consistent with previous run (and other models ) days 10/15. This suite builds a mean mid Atlantic ridge quite early in its low res so not without interest in that regard. Let's see what the 12z's bring. 

Clusters point to northwesterly flow in the 8 to 12 day timeframe 

Definitely of interest, this isn't deep FI .

• Like 3