Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 29th December - Into mid-Winter.

Posted

Forgot to add the failure of the global models to correctly predicting the deepening low and association energy has major implications for any easterly. It provides the energy that helps to form the under cut and the med/French/Spain instability 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
6 minutes ago, PerfectStorm said:

I'm not seeing the southward correction. I don't have the previous chart to back up my point but I'm almost certain northern extent of the precipitation band is where it was earlier. Happy to be proven wrong! :)

17011215_1112.gif

Looks similar, i have to say its times like these i wish the 3hr slots on the Euro 4 existed for us to see in 3 hour steps for Rainfall/Snowfall. Trying to judge from 850temps and dewpoints at 3pm where the snowline would be. I'd hazard South Midlands/Cotswolds around 2-3ish, Chilterns/Dunstable 3onwards, then home counties 4pm, london and Se 5ish.

temp...gif  temp.. 6pm.gif  Temp at 3pm & 6pm according to the Euro 4.

dew 3pm..gif dew 6pm.gif  Dewpoints at 3pm & 6pm according to Euro 4.

upper air 3pm.gif upper air 6pm.gif Upper air temps for 4pm & 6pm.

So without seeing the 3pm Euro 4 data for Rainfall/Snowfall but only seeing you can use the other charts on offer to try and decipher the transition to snow, 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, MKN said:

Cheshire gap streamer could see some reasonable localised falls if gets going like it has done on occasion.

Look at that coming into Scotland on Friday too, many could see snow from that as it comes south- more inland too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

ec 12z shows tomorrows accumulations to be e hants/sussex/kent  (south of London with elevation I would say). plus Dartmoor/exmoor

Makes sense. Further north and west it all moves through too quickly and too early. Longer period of precipitation and more ground and air cooling in the favoured locations.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
6 minutes ago, Purga said:

After the 'mild' blip coming up the GEFS trend markedly to cold

GFSENS12_52_0_205.png

These are the 850hPa (above) so don't tell the full story i.e. surface cold always important with E'ly synoptics, The T2M are below

GFSENS12_52_0_206.png

These paint a decidedly cold picture for the foreseeable...:cold:

Blimey! Thats a real upgrade from GEFS compared to the 00z suite!!! Still plenty of scatter, but a marked trend towards colder!

00Z for comparison!

GFSENS00_52_0_205.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
2 minutes ago, chris55 said:

Blimey! Thats a real upgrade from GEFS compared to the 00z suite!!! Still plenty of scatter, but a marked trend towards colder!

00Z for comparison!

GFSENS00_52_0_205.png

Here are the London surface temps. Chilly!

gefstmp2mmaxLondon (3).png

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

The ECM looks best of the big 3 at T72hrs, hopefully it won't let us down and will deliver the easterly.

less amplified than yesterday (jet now south of iceland as opposed to north) but i agree better direction of WAA in the nw atlantic though clearly worse than yesterdays run. don't expec the same output as 24 hours ago ! 

Posted

Way better ECM than the GFS , this could bring back the Easterly 

Posted
Just now, bluearmy said:

less amplified than yesterday (jet now south of iceland as opposed to north) but i agree better direction of WAA in the nw atlantic though clearly worse than yesterdays run. don't expec the same output as 24 hours ago !

Good grief the differences at T96hrs, all down to that T72hrs being better. The UKMO really pushes a lot more energy east at T72hrs and looks pants in comparison!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sun, Heat, Cold,T/storms via Spanish plumes *rare*

Liking the look of the ECM 12z at 96hrs, im hoping that the shortwave just north of Norway doesnt inhibit the development of the high later on, but instead help the high remain north with it driving more of an easterly feed...lets see what the next few frames have in mind!

ECM1-96.GIF?11-0

Edited by Panayiotis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Good grief the differences at T96hrs, all down to that T72hrs being better. The UKMO really pushes a lot more energy east at T72hrs and looks pants in comparison!

That's one heck of a chart there t96. Could that be a snow event in the south East again?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Well no mild blip with ECM - straight into the cold!

ECMOPEU12_120_1.png

A tad chilly at 144hrs

ECM0-144.GIF?11-0

:cold:

Edited by Purga
  • Like 2

Posted

the difference with the trough headed south (to our east) T96 provides the euro trough with more energy which drives a different profile than the other models. as I said before, the euro trough is a very tricky thing to model. if ec is wrong with the front headed south at day 4 then its wrong thereafter as it will have the euro trough wrong for days.