Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 29th December - Into mid-Winter.

Posted
50 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

The 6z is another wind and rain fest, with some fairly deep low pressure systems moving across. On to the 12z.

Good news. High pressure has dominated for so long, local reservoirs are at Summer levels. The breakdown can't come quick enough.

• Like 1

Posted

Afternoon all :)

Well, I have to confess I'm looking forward to my lunch of humble pie with oeuf sur visage to follow.

The block has proved more resilient than I thought earlier in the week (and the models indicated).

A final chilly hurrah but the current models seem to indicate the Atlantic coming through over the weekend and then, as I expected, settling in for a 10-14 day spell.

Straws in the wind - the last few days of model watching have seen big changes from day to day so this may not be a done deal quite yet and the long fetch SW'lies promised especially on GFS earlier in the week have been replaced by a more perturbed outlook as the jet oscillates further south next week.

There are colder members in the GEFS but not too many in FI.

There's been talk about the lack of an SSW - the 10 HPA temperatures in FI are down around -68c. Last year they were still -84c or below going into February.

The PV will be much weaker and IF there is a second assault in February, so much the better. We shouldn't be surprised if the first result of an Eurasian warming is to displace the PV to the Canadian side - this is what happens.

Oddly enough, we may see February, usually a colder and drier month turning out more unsettled and stormy than January which is traditionally the more disturbed month.

Still plenty of February and early March to come for cold/snow fans so no need to feel too disheartened at this stage and as others have said, some rain may well be welcome. 

• Like 4

Posted

The SSW seems to have gathered some pace with ECMWF now predicted a pretty big one which will most certainly have effects on the PV, and NH blocking has a very good chance of occuring. The trop fallout of this is a few weeks away and won't be modelled yet so don't expect a sudden swing to blocked EPS or GEFS charts - and then if it does it may not be Europe that benifit - however a very good sign for mid to late Feb.  Remember the earlier we see this happening the better, if like me we want some UK wide big freeze type conditions that is.

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Maybe our definitions of blocked are different!

I'd say the set up as it has been, and even today would still be blocked:

Rtavn001.gifRtavn0015.gif

No Atlantic train of lows, amplified meridional jet.

Now fast forward 10 days:

Rtavn2401.gifRtavn24015.gif

Atlantic full of low pressure once again, strong zonal W-E jet running across the Atlantic.

Sorry but the last chart as I am seeing it shows Zonal winds yes but look at the trajectory NW-SE this is nothing like what has been in the past before. I remember back in 113/14 looking at the outlook and seeing 4 low pressure systems lined up waiting to hit us. Zonal yes, wind storms???? I can't see it on any charts. plus it is not a straight jet above it is kinked....

All to play for in my eyes.

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, Richard Fisher said:

GFS trumps ECM again? I would be interested to here whether Steve Murr is still backing the ECM today.

To hazard  guess, because it verifies better, is higher resolution and has a better ensemble suite, apart from that, I have no idea.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind and summer storms

To be fair to Steve he said 99%, so I guess he covered himself by the 1% He may of course still be correct but sadly it's looking less likely now 

Eyes down for the 12z's now and we maybe slightly closer to resolving those small height rises to the north and the undercutting low scenarios 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

The high certainly is putting up a fight, comparing yesterday's GFS 12z with today's. The jet isn't exactly blasting through the UK either! This ain't a done deal yet.

gfsnh-0-132.pnggfsnh-0-126.pnggfsnh-5-126.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Differences again at 120, this time the GFS looks better than the UKMO! Pointless going past 120 really as things keep changing.

gfsnh-0-120.pngUN120-21.GIF

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

h850t850eu.png h850t850eu.png

Less of a residual low by Scotland and the shortwave SW of Iceland held back west more. Relatively small adjustments that make a fair bit of difference to the extend of height rises across the UK during the following day or so.

h500slp.png h500slp.png

Enough to keep the UK in chilly air throughout Monday away from the far S and SW.

This may take until it's at +72 or even +60 hours to resolve. Curiously the H-W observed MJO dropped suddenly today in the face of all the model projections - even  GFS - which may have triggered a sudden step-down in upstream amplification. Question is, how legit is the signal? Based on the form of the winter so far, perhaps not very. It's just among the quickest, easiest ways to track changes in what the models are seeing. Looking at upper wind plots suggests to my admittedly only partially-trained eye that if anything the MJO is divided between the west Pacific and west Africa, with a the H-W plot averaging this out to an artificial position in the western Indian Ocean. Even so it seems something has unexpectedly weakened or more likely interfered with the MJO signal today.

ALL_emean_phase_full.gif

Posted
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

I see their own forecasts are going for exceptionally mild in 10 days. Not that that can have any bearing on an objective ECM graph but just saying

Posted
11 minutes ago, Singularity said:

h850t850eu.png h850t850eu.png

Less of a residual low by Scotland and the shortwave SW of Iceland held back west more. Relatively small adjustments that make a fair bit of difference to the extend of height rises across the UK during the following day or so.

h500slp.png h500slp.png

Enough to keep the UK in chilly air throughout Monday away from the far S and SW.

This may take until it's at +72 or even +60 hours to resolve. Curiously the H-W observed MJO dropped suddenly today in the face of all the model projections - even  GFS - which may have triggered a sudden step-down in upstream amplification. Question is, how legit is the signal? Based on the form of the winter so far, perhaps not very. It's just among the quickest, easiest ways to track changes in what the models are seeing. Looking at upper wind plots suggests to my admittedly only partially-trained eye that if anything the MJO is divided between the west Pacific and west Africa, with a the H-W plot averaging this out to an artificial position in the western Indian Ocean. Even so it seems something has unexpectedly weakened or more likely interfered with the MJO signal today.

ALL_emean_phase_full.gif

The question is,  what would unexpectedly weaken or interfere with the mjo signal?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

@blizzard81 I'm not sure to be honest, hopefully someone will have an answer or suggestions.

gfs-0-114.png?12 arpegeeur-0-114.png?12

Doing a bit of straw-clutching, the 12z ARPEGE on the right peaks the Atlantic low sooner and further west, which improves the changes that there will be time for a secondary low to break away and slide SE before the next push from the westerlies arrives.

Not convinced we'll have enough tropospheric forcing to escape what the stratospheric forcing (displaced vortex) wants to make happen, though.

If we do see the displaced vortex influencing our patterns then reinforcements to the warming that displace the vortex yet further - right down into W. Eurasia - will be needed, ideally in combination with an active MJO propagating to the Pacific, to help break free from the mild and wet regime. GFS/GEFS currently lacks both of these so little wonder the longer-term output has been so dire of late.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Looks like a two week spell of mediocre winter weather for the UK, probably not a raging Atlantic storm fest but something in between.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I thought it was the Steve Murr thread for a moment! Can we please continue with constructive Model discussion. And also a reminder that there is also a model ramp/moan thread open for general chit-chat. And a Winter thread open for hopes/thoughts.

Thanks.

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Looks like we coldies got trolled by ECM yet again.

Back to the strat warming and ensembles, which at least show an increased possibility of blocking 2nd week of Feb.

• Like 3