Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 29th December - Into mid-Winter.

Posted
13 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Right, cherrs I'm not really that knowledgeable on the MJO, what I would say regarding the west based -NAO though, I would much rather see one modelled at this range than a pattern too far East, I predicted a west based -NAO at the beginning of Dec when a really strong GEFS mean modelled one at serious range, but we always seen to end up with the pattern too far East so I'm never forecasting one again, a lot of people on here always say the models have the pattern too far East, I think the other way, I would rather start of with a West based -NAO, how many times in the last few years have we had the pattern 'TOO' amplified - not often, and how many times has the cold been out of reach and the continent to the East gets it? nearly every time I would suggest

You do realise that it only works one way though don't you?? :-)

Seriously, I do get exactly what you are saying and would tend to concur. Easterly 'drift' over a period of time on the charts would appear to be far more prevalent than Westerly. Implying the models are indeed, on the whole, more prone to over-amplification than over-zonalification (sounds like a real word to me).

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

ECH1-0.GIF?00ECH1-120.GIF

Comparing this pattern to the previous cold shot into Europe in early Jan, certainly looks like the cold is edging closer.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

True that phase 8 is not ideal in isolation for us due to the W neg NAO signal:

JanuaryPhase8gt1500mb.gif

- but with the real convective signal potentially featuring more of a C Pac component based on hovmoller plots, plus the stratospheric vortex displacement, we may just be able to modify the above in our favour.

Anotjer factor to consider is tje fact we'll be moving ever close to Feb, in which phase 8 places a strong blocking signal close to our NW, and its not uncommon for the tropical feedbacks to take a bit longer to manifest in our sector than the models first show.

FebruaryPhase8gt1500mb.gif

While it should be to soon to go all the way to the above, a halfway house between it and the composite for Jan may be achievable. 

FebruaryPhase1gt1500mb.gif

In this respect, hopefully the Atlantic component of the MJO forcing won't come to dominate as much as the H-W plots currently suggest, as the result is a less clear cut signal for our sector albeit with an impressive trough signal to our south.

• Like 2

Posted
24 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

I'm not sure what the fuss is about really? ECM and GFS have us staying very cold throughout next week with potential beyond that, it's certainly not mild. Even Sundays attempt at an Atlantic attack now looks unlikely to make it past the Midlands.

Staying cold with very hash frosts next week, with potential for snow beyond that, not to mention it would only take a tiny correction North to be back in the convection game again. 

I agree. I think the fear (and it's not unjustified) from some though is this is the start of a trend to further 'downgrades' (I.e. further slipping south from the high). Unlikely, I think this is, give or take the odd blip, the 'worst' we are going to see the charts as we head into next week's continental feed of sorts. I do fancy the northern arm strength has been a bit over-egged in recent ops

Edited by s4lancia
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

ECM ENS again looking cold with the Op on the milder side.

ensemble-verwachtingen-detail10.png

Warming a bit at the end but the cold option is still strongly represented

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Purga said:

ECM ENS again looking cold with the Op on the milder side.

ensemble-verwachtingen-detail10.png

Warming a bit at the end but the cold option is still strongly represented

Apart from Monday, not sure the op is on the milder side ?

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Towards day 10 it's heading warmest 

Posted
5 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Probably referring to day 10. Only 3 other members are milder.

Posted
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Well it is for about half of the run right up to tuesday and the hugs the middle of the bunch and is milder bias at the end.

Posted

Low over the med at 90 is slightly deeper and further North , could help a stronger Easterly feed and snow potential ...apart from that it's very similar.

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, abbie123 said:

Cold pushing back west from the east .

IMG_0239.PNG

Not looking as good as the 12z though, 850s not as good but still cold on surface. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

This is just to lighted up the mood while 18z is trickling along,mods feel free to delete if off topic.

Just want to prove how even a medium term forecast can go horribly wrong, this is one of the most respected senior forecaster in Slovakia showing his views ahead for first few weeks of January towards the end of December(pict1), on picture 2 is a snapshot of real time temperature on the 8th January at 8AM, he was only about 30 degrees adrift! A travesty as they just had their coldest spel since January 1987!

jurco-faux-paus.jpg

teplota.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: hastings riviera 4 last 10 years .born & bred in croydon
  • Weather Preferences: proper seasons ! hot sunny summers & cold snowy winters
  • Location: hastings riviera 4 last 10 years .born & bred in croydon
2 minutes ago, jules216 said:

This is just to lighted up the mood while 18z is trickling along,mods feel free to delete if off topic.

Just want to prove how even a medium term forecast can go horribly wrong, this is one of the most respected senior forecaster in Slovakia showing his views ahead for first few weeks of January towards the end of December(pict1), on picture 2 is a snapshot of real time temperature on the 8th January at 8AM, he was only about 30 degrees adrift! A travesty as they just had their coldest spel since January 1987!

jurco-faux-paus.jpg

teplota.png

:oops::cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

The cold uppers have faded a little more on the GFS 18z but the High is actually quite a bit further West than the previous run so we are under greater influence from the Easterly although still quite slack at Day 7.  Surface cold remains throughout however.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Well 18z has colder air much further West on this run with High slightly further North.Also Lower Heights in Med compared to 12z. Small differences have big implications for UK and it will very cold in Eastern England on this run.Could it be a start of a trend pushing High further North?.Fascinating model watching and be interesting to see ECM and UKMO next runs.

h850t850eu.png

• Like 3

Posted

Interesting evolution with the GFS 18z

gfs-0-192.png?18

gfs-1-192.png?18

A pocket of pretty cold uppers -8hPa and an decent area of snow across the south of the UK

gfs-2-192.png?18

A long way off of course but still nice to see, :)

• Like 8