Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 29th December - Into mid-Winter.

Posted

I think after that better start the GFS sort of flatlined. The high takes an age to get north and the flow is too slack with the colder uppers not getting far enough north. Given the start point for the GFS it really should have been better than what it finally delivered in terms of the easterly.

It will be very cold at the surface but to get a chance of some convection off the North Sea the flow needs to be stronger with the southern Europe high deeper and the GFS needs to get the high centre north much more quickly.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I think after that better start the GFS sort of flatlined. The high takes an age to get north and the flow is too slack with the colder uppers not getting far enough north. Given the start point for the GFS it really should have been better than what it finally delivered in terms of the easterly.

The worrying thing then becomes that, having set off on  the same path as ECM for a change, it found itself able to take a different route.
Let's hope that neither ECM or UKMO discover that route tomorrow!  And let's hope GFS can't find it again on the 12z and instead follows ECM's well worn tracks

Posted

The posts about 2010 etc have now all been hidden as the conversation has continued beyond the request to stop. Please keep it to the model output in here, and head to the banter thread for more general chat. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzard, Hot & Sunny

Anybody got the charts with the dam line? Looking at for tomorrow's event and where the dam line will be situated.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!
9 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

True, however I would take the improvements within 96 all day long and let the rest take care of itself.  Whatever it shows later on will have changed by the 0z's anyway.  The important thing is there's no horrors lurking in the semi-reliable......and with a bit of a tweak we could even see the mythical retrogressing Murr Sausage shaped high?

gfsnh-0-198.png

Edited by Ice Day
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

gfsnh-0-192.png?18ECH1-192.GIF?11-0

hmm

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow

Atlantic is still snookered in FI though and I would imagine it will be absolutely bitter at the surface under light winds?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
5 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

It will be very cold at the surface but to get a chance of some convection off the North Sea the flow needs to be stronger with the southern Europe high deeper and the GFS needs to get the high centre north much more quickly.

The retrogression signal looking on again though, that's a pretty strong signal amongst the ensembles, admittedly a good deal end up West based -nao so not prolific wrt uppers but the Greenland height rise signal looking pretty solid.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

The retrogression signal looking on again though, that's a pretty strong signal amongst the ensembles, admittedly a good deal end up West based -nao so not prolific wrt uppers but the Greenland height rise signal looking pretty solid.

Agreed pretty similar to the ECM just at different time frames.....a new trend?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Epic fl inbound on 18z GFSIMG_5366.PNG 

:shok:

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, karlos1983 said:

Yeah this is looking like a prolonged cold spell now, never really expected that a few days ago - this chart would surely be extremely cold at night 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Frostbite1980 said:

Agreed pretty similar to the ECM just at different time frames.....a new trend?

I don't even think theres that much difference in time frames tbh.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Timmytour said:

The worrying thing then becomes that, having set off on  the same path as ECM for a change, it found itself able to take a different route.
Let's hope that neither ECM or UKMO discover that route tomorrow!  And let's hope GFS can't find it again on the 12z and instead follows ECM's well worn tracks

I almost feel bad berating a run that a few weeks back would have been welcomed and it does at least follow the ECM trend for retrogression. The main thing is we got that crucial early improvement within T96hrs and so that's good to end the day on a high note.

• Like 1

Posted

Unless there is a dramatic upgrade in the next 24 hours, this is not going to be a classic easterly. The flow is too slack and the uppers are not low enough. For these two reasons, any snow from the east will be minimal. Don't get me wrong, this is a huge improvement on the last 3 winters but in terms of real snow potential (next 48hrs aside), I think most people will be pinning their hopes on retrogression as the easterly will be a bit of a let down to many on here.

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, karlos1983 said:

PV over Scandinavia primed to dig south introducing frigid air surely

• Like 1

Posted

Look at that Northern Blocking. The outlook is cold looking at the model output from today. The FI on 18z is going to be something to behold.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Yes the trend is great. I wonder if the UKMO are still dismissing any MJO influence for the next 25 days!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
1 minute ago, blizzard81 said:

Unless there is a dramatic upgrade in the next 24 hours, this is not going to be a classic easterly. The flow is too slack and the uppers are not low enough. For these two reasons, any snow from the east will be minimal. Don't get me wrong, this is a huge improvement on the last 3 winters but in terms of real snow potential (next 48hrs aside), I think most people will be pinning their hopes on retrogression as the easterly will be a bit of a let down to many on here.

I sense if we are patient, some of that PV shunted over to the east will start sliding into Europe and that will eventually bring fun and games our way

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

Yes the trend is great. I wonder if the UKMO are still dismissing any MJO influence for the next 25 days!

Also there is a growing signal to shift the strat vortex Eastwards, however, this looks a top down event (if it does propagate of course), so that cant surely be a reason for the Greenland trop height signal, the timeframes surely wouldn't add up?

Posted

Low pressure near s Greenland is scuppering the GH I have a feeling this may be a close but no cigar.....UK high in FI anyone?

• Like 1