Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 29th December - Into mid-Winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Once again today the GFS flat bias is showing up. You'll see upstream the 00hrs had a flat shortwave running east across the USA around T144hrs. The GFS 06hrs now slowly backtracking towards the Euros with that more amplified wave.

GFS 00hrs run to T144hrs                            GFS 06hrs run to T138hrs

gfsnh-0-144.pnggfsnh-0-138.png

The stand out model today for those hoping for the easterly is the UKMO with the most amplified upstream shortwave. Looking at its T168hrs output Atlantic view you can see a different shortwave running se'wards this is the trigger for any possible easterly. The UKMO has this the furthest west of any of the outputs.

ukm2_2017011400_168_lant_troplant_prp_fcst_gentracker.png

Its not just what happens to the east with the Russian ridge but the critical area is upstream with the pattern in the eastern USA, the more amplified the pattern is there at that crucial timeframe the higher chances of that easterly. If for arguments sake the UKMO verified at T168hrs it would have the coldest solution past that point and would likely bring in an easterly.

I think at the moment there looks a bit too much energy in the northern arm of the jet with the odds more in favour of you guessed it the coldest air heading towards south/se Europe but theres still uncertainty with how much amplitude there will be over the USA and Canada.

Regardless of that any amplitude upstream will help back the pattern further west.

Maybe that's why the met keep leaving this line in their further outlook, it has been there for about a week now, so the chance must still remain:

There is a small risk of a cold easterly wind developing later in the month, which would bring very cold weather, and an associated chance of snow in places.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Flicking through the 6z GEFS it seems Thursdays pattern is far from nailed. A fair few members really ramp up that wave on Thursday turning it into a nasty little low, the intensity and track are very varied. 

There is a chance for some blizzard conditions on its northern edge if and when it lands. 

Therafter we have a slight trend to drop the lows further south east leaving us on the cold boundary once again.

these smaller details for our little patch are outwaying the global means etc in my opinion.

p4 even develops a channel!

IMG_1732.PNG

the pattern for the end of the week has plenty of chances to come yet! 

• Like 4

Posted
11 minutes ago, karyo said:

Nick, that's the most promising chart I have seen from the UKMO in a long time.                                                                                                                                    The 12z ECM also has some kind of slider and the 6z gfs flirts with the idea but then flattens quickly.

Yes its a very good chart. That shortwave circled red would run se'wards. You can see if you flip between the T144 and T168hrs the direction of the ridge upstream would build further ne at T192 hrs and we'd see the ridge the furthest north of any of the outputs.

UN144-21.gif

The forward projection of the UKMO is not too difficult to work out because we have very good agreement that the upstream pattern will eventually flatten out and the PV will start to head south to the west of the UK. As that happens if you have the ridge sufficiently north this will be pushed ne towards Scandi with that shortwave heading se and helping to feed lower heights over southern Europe. You can tell just how much more amplified the UKMO is upstream because the shortwave circled black started out from just north of the red arrow and heads se between T144hrs and T168hrs.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 7

Posted
8 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Yes its a very good chart. That shortwave circled red would run se'wards. You can see if you flip between the T144 and T168hrs the direction of the ridge upstream would build further ne at T192 hrs and we'd see the ridge the furthest north of any of the outputs.

It keeps a little hope alive I suppose but as you know,  the ext ukmo only seems to verify when going mild.  Let's hope it bucks the trend this time. 

• Like 2

Posted

I assume that the meto 30 dayers retention of the snowy easterly possibility is predicated on a cluster of members showing an SSW on glosea later in the month. 

that was the case either last winter or the previous one

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
1 hour ago, Polar Maritime said:

Purely an observation for the up-coming cold spell as there will be many more macro differences over the coming days of interest... But the 6z shows a much better chance of snow further South.

a.pngb.pngc.png

00z was good - but the 06z really  has delivered -  what a run.

Can we draw any comparisons to Dec 2010 on this basis or was it indeed a once in a generation event?

Keep calm - iceaxe not being sharpened yet.

• Like 4

Posted
24 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

I assume that the meto 30 dayers retention of the snowy easterly possibility is predicated on a cluster of members showing an SSW on glosea later in the month. 

that was the case either last winter or the previous one

That was up to yesterday's update. Today they have dropped the mention of an easterly.

• Like 2

Posted

Strong consistency continues in today's models for the reliable timeframe, all showing a potent PM airstream come Thursday (edge of reliable at this stage). Differences thereafter between ECM and GFS, as there has been for a few days now, ECM doing what it tends to do - maintaining a more amplified flow, GFS a flatter flow, more often than not, something inbetween tends to occur. However, notably UKMO is the most amplified.

My own thinking is we will maintain a flow predominantly from between west and north in the 6-12 day timeframe, trending from NWN to WNW in time, temperatures below average in the main,but returning to nearer normal especially in the south, with Scotland always exposed to further wintry episodes. 

There are major changes taking place over the N Pacific, the ridge is about to be replaced by a trough, and consequently we see major ridge/height rises over E Asia - this could have an impact on the strat/trop profile, perhaps some warming on the Asian side which would lock the PV in place on the canadian side but also weaken it as we enter Feb, any further amplification could help promote the chances of mid atlantic heights eventually building NE thanks to warm air advection through Greenland.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
24 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Just to add in from the earlier post.

Fantastic post Steve. I personally really appreciate everyone's efforts on here and Tamara always does very well reasoned posts based on genuine meteorology and makes opinions based on science behind it but the weather makes mugs out of all of us and it really makes us all realise that we are only stil in infancy stages of truly knowing what the weather does and why. It's great trying though but the winter has so far been a complete wild card and continues to be so. 

Edited by Polar Maritime
To snip long quote.
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.
1 hour ago, Tamara said:

I agree. This is precisely the issue.

Excellent post Tamara

People forget computers etc only work on the information given to them and then decipher that information given a set of what if's and why for's so they are only as good as the programs themselves.

It is therefore vitally important that we then are able to interpret what outputs are achieved if we don't we can't improve the said programs. In my own mind I believe we are in a new era especially inregard to our atmosphere in that we are may have modelled certain aspects and thought we knew consequences but we have never been in such a rapid slow down of a solar cycle and as such we don't fully understand how therefore our atmosphere will react. I liken it to slowly turning down the heat on a pan of water over say five or ten minutes until the heat is off the water takes time to cool this cycle is like taking that pan of boiling water taking of the heat and putting it in a fridge

For me we are in a transition phase to a time when we will see greater and greater High Latitude Blocking

Keep up the excellent posts Tamara

Edited by Polar Maritime
To snip long quote.
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, jonboy said:

Excellent post Tamara

People forget computers etc only work on the information given to them and then decipher that information given a set of what if's and why for's so they are only as good as the programs themselves.

It is therefore vitally important that we then are able to interpret what outputs are achieved if we don't we can't improve the said programs. In my own mind I believe we are in a new era especially inregard to our atmosphere in that we are may have modelled certain aspects and thought we knew consequences but we have never been in such a rapid slow down of a solar cycle and as such we don't fully understand how therefore our atmosphere will react. I liken it to slowly turning down the heat on a pan of water over say five or ten minutes until the heat is off the water takes time to cool this cycle is like taking that pan of boiling water taking of the heat and putting it in a fridge

For me we are in a transition phase to a time when we will see greater and greater High Latitude Blocking

Keep up the excellent posts Tamara

Which, in turn, are only as 'accurate' as the inherent chaos in the equations will ever permit?:)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tamara said:

I removed to save repetition

@Tamara100% spot on as usual and extremely well put. As several others have already said, if one criticises the use of teleconnections, one is criticising the models themselves, rendering this model thread completely pointless and those people may as well go back to using 24 hour forecasts. As @johnholmes puts across so well, he has lived and worked through a period of huge advances in this fascinating science such as the use of computers, satellites, advanced modelling as well as understanding the teleconnections. These are now all built into the various forms of modern forecasting..Like the vast majority on the MOD, I only have a limited understanding of part of the teleconnection science but it is enough to see how they play an increasingly vital role in the model's output. As Tamara says, it should not be an us vs them on this thread and I have attempted to address some of these issues in each of my last few weekly reports. So, please do not let your emotions cloud your judgement and opinion. I will certainly find the time to read through the paper that Tamara links us to and anyone who feels the need to comment on the relative benefits (or lack of) of teleconnections should only really do so from a better informed knowledge base. Finally, let's all make an effort to respect each other and their opinion. Any constructive comments are to be encouraged.   

Edited by Guest
A vital should "NOT" has been added!

1 hour ago, Tamara said:

For what little it is worth, there have been summary posts made though this winter which have documented both the possible upsides and downsides of the pattern in terms of the tropospheric extra tropical and tropical jet flows (as the GSDM provides valuable insight into) vs the equal difficulties involved in anticipating stratospheric developments.

For those minority who richly suggest it is for those who provide an attempt to pro-actively contribute to somehow defend themselves, I would suggest that they read this, take as long as it takes to get some understanding, and then come back and "Discuss"....

http://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/full/10.1175/MWR3293.1

There is no obligation to do anything of course, but if that is the case, then desist instead, period, from attempting to flare up the over-machoistic tribal divisions of this thread through cynical attempts to discredit and disrespect one side of the perceived "divide". A divide which palpably doesn't exist in the real world of science and meteorology...

Interesting that Google Scholar only lists 7 references for "Global Synoptic Dynamic Model", 5 of those from Berry+/Weickmann, which suggests that with regards to the GSDM framework, the real world of science and meteorology hasn't exactly picked up the ball and ran with it, just saying.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers

From what I've seen over the years, if key parameters point to a mild winter, e.g. Last years super El Niño, a strong La Niña or it's clear by November the polar vortex is stronger than average, then the winter forecast is fairly simple. Almost certainly temps above average and rainfall above average. Last winters forecast for example was pretty easy - super El Niño, supercharged polar vortex = wet, stormy and mild.

The tricky bit is when the above factors are mixed or unclear, making potentially colder conditions more likely. A forecast for an area as small as the UK becomes very difficult in these circumstances. I admire people who give it a go, but the majority end up wrong as it's just too difficult for the reasons Steve stated.

The best forecast on here I've ever seen (in over 10 years of lurking) was GP's 2010-11 forecast, when he correctly called the Dec 10 cold spell and then accurately in terms of dates, called the end of it and switch to mild. It was an incredibly accurate forecast given the strong El Niño conditions, which led most other long term forecasts to predict mild. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
5 minutes ago, Gustywind said:

The best forecast on here I've ever seen (in over 10 years of lurking) was GP's 2010-11 forecast, when he correctly called the Dec 10 cold spell and then accurately in terms of dates, called the end of it and switch to mild. It was an incredibly accurate forecast given the strong El Niño conditions, which led most other long term forecasts to predict mild. 

2010/11 was a La Nina winter was it not?

Posted

I'm wondering whether the outputs are reading the MJO signal slightly differently. As it is the MJO is weak at the moment. Matt H mentioned this is going to be in phase 5 however the MJO forecast  which tries to remove interference has this about to enter phase 6 and stay there for around a week.

It's of course questionable just how much impact this might have on us in western Europe given its low amplitude however phase 6 normally adds some amplification to the Atlantic.

The actual composites can be rather rigid tools because what ENSO is doing at the time needs to be taken into account, currently we're in a weak La Nina with this declining towards neutral values.

If we take it that the MJO is in phase 5 and could go into phase 6 depending on which forecast you use the research suggests this:

Phase 5 is associated with enhanced trough anomalies over the North Atlantic extending across north-central Europe, and across parts of eastern Asia, with substantial significant ridge anomalies over western Russia. Phase 6 is associated with enhanced trough anomalies over far northwestern North America and parts of East Asia, with significant ridge anomalies over the North Atlantic and parts of interior Europe.

Interestingly if you follow the ECM on the NH view you'll see a pretty good correlation with the above although it makes less of that ridge anomaly in the North Atlantic.

Again though we are dealing with a low amplitude MJO signal so this is likely to mute out some of the trop response and of course there are other factors to take into account.

PS If you were just using the standard MJO composite this doesn't show that strong ridge anomaly in western Russia,  you might conclude that the NH pattern is more closely following that research which  looked at not just whether you were in say El Nino or La Nina but more importantly were they declining or advancing and the different impacts that could have on the NH pattern.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental climate, snow winter, sunny summers
39 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

2010/11 was a La Nina winter was it not?

Sorry Crewe yes your right, 2009-10 was the El Niño year.

Edited by Gustywind
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Friday into Saturday London hits 16/23 on the snow row

gefsens850london0.png

So around a 70% chance of snow in London based on the 06z

At the same time, Aberdeen peaks at 13

gefsens850Aberdeen0.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I've been wondering again::oops:

Are the teleconnection forecasts separate from the 'ordinary' models or, are they constructed using the very same starting data? If they are related thus, won't they be subject to exactly the same degree of uncertainty? Why would, for instance, a GFS-based MJO forecast be any more (or less) useful than other GFS products?

These are genuine questions, and are not a nit-pick.:cc_confused:

• Like 5