Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 29th December - Into mid-Winter.

Posted
1 minute ago, Seasonality said:

GFS 240h and ECM 240h. Hmmm...

gfs-0-240 (1).png

ECM1-240 (6).gif

Given the position of the PV just days before and the fact the Siberian High has scarpered, it is quite insane to see such agreement on what most of us would have thought an extremely unlikely scenario 5 hours ago. Really????

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
Just now, radiohead said:

T288

gfs-0-288.png?18gfs-1-288.png?18

& a 1050mb high to our NE... Almost a replica of the ECM at the same stage, which is remarkable at that range! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in winter Warm Sunny Summer

gfsnh-0-240.png?18

That little shortwave to the east of Stockholm is scuppering our Russian/scandi high link up dam it.

got there in the end though 

Edited by Pembroke Dangler

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive
13 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

GFS 240h and ECM 240h. Hmmm...

gfs-0-240 (1).png

ECM1-240 (6).gif

Blimey . I don't think ive  ever seen two charts from 2 different models at 240 look as similar as this . Fingers and everything else crossed its still there in the morning . 

Edit . I was looking east , big differences  in the Atlantic.

Edited by Mark wheeler

Posted
2 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Given the position of the PV just days before and the fact the Siberian High has scarpered, it is quite insane to see such agreement on what most of us would have thought an extremely unlikely scenario 5 hours ago. Really????

I'm pretty sure Mr Murr had this in his sights a couple of days ago.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

When GFS picks up on a new signal, it does really like to go 'off on one' in FI and doesn't do it by halves. Looks like it wants the formidable Russian high to join the party aswell.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Both ECM and GFS look on the money evolution wise.  We progress but still it is FI and the way this winter has gone......BUT the synoptic set up is so close I am very 'hopeful' that UK has a decent winter episode ahead....very decent.  Now that has torn itb:bomb:

BFTP

• Like 5

Posted

18Z GFS holds onto the cold right to the end of the run. What a turnaround from the ugly 12Z. No doubt it will be a cold outlier with the GEFS in deep FI. But the upgrades from the 12Z began within the reliable timeframe. Hopefully 0Z is consistent with that.

gfs-1-384.png?18

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the weather extremes in general but my favourites are snow & thunderstorms
6 minutes ago, weirpig said:

But remember when you see the downgrades you rarely see the models upgrade.     Whoops  

Just what I was thinking,  tbh after the 12z earlier I was ready to give up, I was expecting it to carry on so when it actually happened we ended up with a cool sharp blast and that's it. Anyway still plenty of time for further upgrades!!! Lol

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in winter Warm Sunny Summer

Funny earlier on the Beeb showed Moscow at -23 and I thought strange showing that in the middle of a forecast when we are at +8/9 but I think they dropped some sort of hint as to they're thinking going forward. Just my take anyway could be nothing 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Well this morning it was spam now we are back to steak, it's been a great day model watching, but for now feet back on the ground time, ATM just looking forward to seeing a flake or two hopefully come the end of this forthcoming week :D

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

I'm a lurker in this particular thread, although I haven't been posting very often recently. However monitoring the models from a tentative distance even I can tell ALL the models have set something up as early as T120 and I am looking forward to how this pans out past this point. I think there is now very high likelihood that some sort of good northerly is on the cards (with a good chance of snow).

How this reloads is another matter but just to remind you about how the past few winters went

6YdrxV5jbxrr2.gif

Edited by Chris D
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

Great outputs tonight but it always seems to me that the 0Zs (especially GFS) are the hangover runs that try to tell their late night counterparts to sober up and stop being so silly!

Really want to see the trends continued tomorrow even though the detail may be different. Snow fans really don't need more teases and let downs.

I suspect a middle ground solution will transpire, nothing as snowy as 18Z but not as flat and zonal as the 12z GFS either. It could just mean another UK high but maybe we could get it to edge North enough to give us a shot......

Edited by Long haul to mild
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
2 minutes ago, Ice Day said:

Frosty, can I please 'Bank' the above.  Many thanks.

Yes:yahoo:

Isn't it great that we have had a wonderful ecm and gfs run within the last few hours..for coldies:cold-emoji:

A very good end to another rollercoaster day / night!

• Like 3

Posted

If tomorrows 0Zs follow the same trend then I may put my theory to the test.

This winter I have said the ensembles are useless and if you look at the 12Z GEFS ensembles then none of them suggest a continuation of the cold except 1 member. So lets if the ensembles follow the operationals rather than the other way round. I suspect the 18Z may look a bit different!!

• Like 5

Posted

Like cigarette packets or alcohol adverts, the pages that show the NWP output should have health warnings, because you just have to wager, going on recent model performance, that 00z suite will pull the plug on what this evening's runs have built on.

But I'm wondering now if the models have finally got a handle on the Canadian PV lobes that appear to be extending further out across NE Canada and far NW Atlantic to amplify the flow or whether they will continue to have difficulty modelling the wobbling PV and we get more ups and downs? We'll see tomorrow and Sunday!

• Like 9

Posted
3 minutes ago, Pembroke Dangler said:

Funny earlier on the Beeb showed Moscow at -23 and I thought strange showing that in the middle of a forecast when we are at +8/9 but I think they dropped some sort of hint as to they're thinking going forward. Just my take anyway could be nothing 

They are just showing the big contrast with here - nothing else. Those numbers are impressive 

• Like 2