Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 29th December - Into mid-Winter.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Not much change from the models this morning, With cold Pm shots next week. Very cold -10/11/12c uppers over the UK by Friday are certainly not to be sniffed at.. Plenty of room left for minor adjustments but certainly a wintry flavour as we head into next week.

a.pngb.pngc.png

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 9

Posted

The ext EPS this morning at day 12 is not good news for those of a cold persuasion  The upstream pattern change has taken place with an active Canadian vortex extending SW across Alaska and the Aleutians But also with a trough in the NW Atlantic which, coupled with some ridging over the UK backs the upper flow westerly. The trough tends to nudge east so the flow may back a tad more and the temps will thus return to average.

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, snowice said:

Oh Dear i must be reading the wrong thread,-8 Uppers:cold: on ECM GFS for 168hrs snow showers in a lot of places.

It is the British isles members expectations are to high, i thought  a heatwave was coming after i read some of the posts.

Chin up loads of potential in the coming week with first chance of snow for many:)

It's at 168 hours though. Never gonna come off.

• Like 2

Posted

Knocks had told you re the eps

looks like a mid lat high for most of us - makes a change !

after the brief incursion of cold of course 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE
1 minute ago, snowy weather said:

It's at 168 hours though. Never gonna come off.

IF it were just GFS I would agree with you, the fact ECM GFS are similar i have my fingers crossed its not like mad FI 

7 days away!:)

• Like 2

Posted

Check out the 0Z GEFS members at T168-T180. A variety of different patterns and very few that look like the 0Z Op evolution. Quite a lot of the members show low pressure, maybe intense low pressure, close by or directing diving over us. This is something which could appear on the 06Z or 12Z runs today. I'm expecting more changes....

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
3 minutes ago, knocker said:

and the temps will thus return to average.

Lots of uncertainty further upstream..but the good news is a cold outbreak looks a reasonable bet for later next week.:D

• Like 4

Posted
32 minutes ago, Alekos said:

How is it looking for Greece ? ! I'm thinking the trend is for strong Northern jet and milder for NW Europe ? 

Oh..Oh...Oh....................

gfs_t2maf_slp_ceur_18.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

All we will get from a cold PM NW'erly outbreak is plenty of snow over the higher ground, a little to lower levels in the NW, and nothing down this way. Blink and you'll miss it stuff really. I agree with other posters in that everything is tilted in just the wrong place for the UK, so we're not going to see anything lasting or meaningful for now. Best get looking for the next window of opportunity!

• Like 5

Posted

It looks as though the Canadian segment is going to end up closer to w Greenland than looked the case a few days ago

that makes any meaningful amplification far enough to our west to be unsustainable and it seems a MLB close to our shores the most likely outcome 

for coldies, the best hope is for the high to ridge across to our ene and an easterly to result. Unlikely but not impossible 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

chin up coldies, we have had some crisp frosty weather this week and next week, some of us will see snow if the models are anywhere close..:)

P.S.. watch out for icy patches across the SE this morning as showers fall onto frozen surfaces.:cold-emoji:

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4

Posted
7 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

It looks as though the Canadian segment is going to end up closer to w Greenland than looked the case a few days ago

that makes any meaningful amplification far enough to our west to be unsustainable and it seems a MLB close to our shores the most likely outcome 

for coldies, the best hope is for the high to ridge across to our ene and an easterly to result. Unlikely but not impossible 

I have not seen anything other than a Atlantic High slight displaced north of the Azores that occasionally moves to allow a polar North Westerly...... and that'll do me.

HLB and Easterlies..... Just not gonna happen. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing fog heatwave thunderstorm

I posted last night about been led up the garden path and would leave anything forecast now for late next week with a pinch of salt only the  18z last night and now the 00z this morning push the pattern forward too quick by this time Sunday it will probably just be a blink and you will miss affair the high wants to do one fast or move to a worthwhile position hope for upgrades that slow the pattern down and brings in stronger northerly I think once we can get the cold in far enough south it could stay longer eventually we will have confidence in a cold prediction from the models but at the min not happening. 

• Like 2

Posted

The trend remains low height anomolies to our  south - just too far south because the northern arm flattens the Atlantic too much

suspect the London temps will still look suppressed in an hour  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Amidst the model madness - where this sudden increase in mobility has come from I can hardly imagine - I've noticed one thing of interest;

gfsgwo_1.png

For days now the GEFS projection has taken GLAAM over toward 7/8, yet each new observation keeps it in 4/5. This suggests to be that the tropical activity into the Pacific (phase 6) suggested by recent Hovmoller plots is having more of an effect on the pattern than this model at least is expecting.

So there's some scope for reversing the mobility trend over the U.S. Otherwise, a 1-3 day cold spell seems to be on the cards, though it may prove a bit mediocre for the south unless a disturbance in the flow can develop in the right place and without too much of a warm sector.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

ECM 00z seems to be on the milder side of its ensembles from 192h so perhaps changes still possible. Also a comment for @Alekos, not the EC46 sorry, but I noticed GFS 00z FI shows even more cold into South East Europe. Something that keeps showing in the output in various forms. Every chance for the vintage Greek winter to continue I'd say.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Seasonality said:

ECM 00z seems to be on the milder side of its ensembles from 192h so perhaps changes still possible. Also a comment for @Alekos, not the EC46 sorry, but I noticed GFS 00z FI shows even more cold into South East Europe. Something that keeps showing in the output in various forms. Every chance for the vintage Greek winter to continue I'd say.

Thank you ! Yes more chances for us down here

• Like 1

Posted

Heavy rain turning to snow in Scotland by T150 on the 06Z GFS

gfs-2-150.png?6

Colder uppers than on the 0Z at T156

gfs-1-156.png?6

By T162 there is still rain in the south but quite snowy further north and west.

gfs-2-162.png?6

T168...snow all the way down to the south.

gfs-2-168.png?6

Edited by radiohead
  • Like 8