Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 29th December - Into mid-Winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Snow/Hail & Strong Winds

Just a quick showcase of how much the orientation of the high makes so much difference to the 'prospects'. Much more amplified on the 12z 

6z 228h Vs 12z 222h

74676869304690.PNG

21425.PNG

• Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, Johnp said:

More zonal? I'd use the word meridional for this run so far.

I agree! Hence we manage to get some colder uppers in this run.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

h850t850eu.png  hgt300.png

It's a deep low but look at the orientation of the trough-ridge combo.

The low should disrupt and heights tend to rise N of the UK. Lets see if GFS can handle that...!

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Singularity said:

h850t850eu.png  hgt300.png

It's a deep low but look at the orientation of the trough-ridge combo.

The low should disrupt and heights tend to rise N of the UK. Lets see if GFS can handle that...!

Unfortunately GFS can't handle it! The last couple of days GFS had been churning out great FI but today seems to have gone downhill with the dreaded Azores high just not leaving us alone

Tasac

Posted

Not too concerned about the break down of cold in the low-res deep FI. The T240+ charts will be different again on the 18Z, 0Z etc. The more important thing is that the onset of the cold shot is edging closer to the reliable timeframe.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
Just now, There's a storm a coming said:

Unfortunately GFS can't handle it! The last couple of days GFS had been churning out great FI but today seems to have gone downhill with the dreaded Azores high just not leaving us alone

Tasac

h850t850eu.png

Indeed. That little kink in the isobars just W of Ireland is as far as it manages to get - but admittedly I didn't expect that shortwave low to move across quite so quickly. Typical eh?

In any case the low in question is far enough away that it may never become an issue in the first place, for all we know :)

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, radiohead said:

12Z GEM is on board with the cold shot. Though uppers aren't as cold here.

gem-0-180.png?12

They never are on gem

its a known model bias (well to us anyway) when there isn't a continental flow 

wouldn't be looking beyond day 8 max on the ops which leaves us in an interesting position 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
36 minutes ago, Team Jo said:

without wishing to nag,some recent posts would probably be best suited to a PM conversation or the banter thread.......if we could keep on topic for the imminent runs, that would be super!

Thanks!

To keep this thread a better read 7 of those posts have been moved to the banter thread here

Please all keep posts  relevant to current model outputs and use the other threads if it's general chat and banter.

Thanks.

• Like 4

Posted

Just wondering how long its been since those in the north west have seen a good old fashioned polar north westerly.

I guess as ever geography playa a part in preferences but if i were on high ground in NW Britain i think i would be getting interested now....:D

gfs-0-186.png?12

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Just wondering how long its been since those in the north west have seen a good old fashioned polar north westerly.

I guess as ever geography playa a part in preferences but if i were on high ground in NW Britain i think i would be getting interested now....:D

gfs-0-186.png?12

2009 Jan,several shots.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
2 minutes ago, Nouska said:

Surely this cold an upper air mass could give a chance of polar low formation. It's originating over Greenland and following some of the favoured routes as in the papers linked by Knocker and John Holmes.

tempresult_onq6.gif

Of course, we have to get it to verify but I'm more confident than usual, having looked at the finer detail for the ECM model on the Icelandic site. Both bring this in but there are issues with timing and no doubt shortwaves once we get to five days out.

The EPS 00Z T850 mean +192 at circa -8C is nothing to be sniffed at.

ec-ens_millikort_mslpmean_t850mean_t850s

Is it not quite rare for them to get so far south and I think they weaken rapidly over land? Still, they are very difficult to model and chances are that one wouldn't appear in the NWP and would require nowcasting using satellite images.

Posted

Just thought i would post this as its a very good tool. The new Metcheck Super Ensemble. The attached chart is for my home town of Tiverton (61m).

Some good agreement now with only three runs from the 60 runs showing positive 850mb temps. I would approximately say that 60/70% show around the -4/-5 mark with around 7 or so showing -9/-10   

475834879346.PNG

Edited by MattTarrant
  • Like 4

Posted
10 minutes ago, Nouska said:

Surely this cold an upper air mass could give a chance of polar low formation. It's originating over Greenland and following some of the favoured routes as in the papers linked by Knocker and John Holmes.

tempresult_onq6.gif

Of course, we have to get it to verify but I'm more confident than usual, having looked at the finer detail for the ECM model on the Icelandic site. Both bring this in but there are issues with timing and no doubt shortwaves once we get to five days out.

The EPS 00Z T850 mean +192 at circa -8C is nothing to be sniffed at.

ec-ens_millikort_mslpmean_t850mean_t850s

You weren't casting your eyes on this little fella by any chance ? :)

gfs_6hr_precip_eur2_41.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 4

Posted

well to my untrained eye the 12z looks a better run early on.

the trough in the mid west USA seems to dig further south, in turn creating more amplification which results in high pressure rises over Nova Scotia, causing the Atlantic trough to drop more favourable over 

the UK, bringing in the cold quicker. T144 to T162 seem critical as always.

thats my thoughts (could be wrong ?)

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Looks fairly cyclongenic to me old bean? In fact loiks very snowy cyclongenic, or have i missed your point?

Completely, old bean but not  very surprising.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

Looking cold with some snow showers in the north maybe some pushing south on this chart..but no big freeze yet and  sustained colder weather but it could change..:D

IMG_0190.JPG

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, abbie123 said:

Looking cold with some snow showers in the north maybe some pushing south on this chart..but no big freeze yet and  sustained colder weather but it could change..:D

IMG_0190.JPG

Yes no big freeze, but as ever the cold spell could increase or reduce by a day depending on the extent of ridging in the Atlantic. I would expect a 2-3 day period from current runs.  

• Like 2