Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 29th December - Into mid-Winter.

Posted

Nick F I am struggling to visualise this comment

However, the NOAA CPC 8-14 day indicates support for the 12z GFS, with a flow more N/NE than NW with perhaps the Euro trough eventually cutting off from the upper westerlies.

Where are the N-NE'ly showing on the NOAA charts please? 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

However, the NOAA CPC 8-14 day indicates support for the 12z GFS, with a flow more N/NE than NW with perhaps the Euro trough eventually cutting off from the upper westerlies.

Via the anomolies john - we had this discussion on here wi knocker at some point over the sou'easter in December and I recall it happened as per the anomolies rather than th upper flow

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Via the anomolies john - we had this discussion on here wi knocker at some point over the sou'easter in December and I recall it happened as per the anomolies rather than th upper flow

I cannot see a flow being N-NE when the anomalies, at 500mb, show a flow over the UK from somewhere N of W with a fairly large +ve anomaly in the Atlantic. that is hardly likely, in my view, to give the flow shown at 240h on the 12z GFS?

Or am I missing something?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Who put 50p in the Jet meter? Blizzard material for Northern Scotland.

gfs-5-144.png?18

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
5 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

The N/NEly flow comment was based on the anomaly contour John, OK perhaps a bit optimistic for a NE flow, but the anomalies in my eyes indicate a flow from the N rather NW over the UK. Of course they are a mean anomaly so are a rough guide.to potential mean flow in that period

814day.03_1.gif

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, johnholmes said:

I cannot see a flow being N-NE when the anomalies, at 500mb, show a flow over the UK from somewhere N of W with a fairly large +ve anomaly in the Atlantic. that is hardly likely, in my view, to give the flow shown at 240h on the 12z GFS?

Or am I missing something?

Well if you are I'm missing it as well.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Nick F said:

The N/NEly flow comment was based on the anomaly contour John, OK perhaps a bit optimistic for a NE flow, but the anomalies in my eyes indicate a flow from the N rather NW over the UK. Of course they are a mean anomaly so are a rough guide.to potential mean flow in that period

814day.03_1.gif

Sorry Nick I'm not following this. How can you deduce streamlines from the anomalies which are not actually features at the surface or 500mb. Genuinely puzzled here.? Surely you have to take the flow from the contour lines?

Edited by knocker
  • Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Nick F said:

814day.03_1.gif

I think you are taking it too far to make that assumption Nick but that is just my opinion.

Are you drawing suggested isobars or contours and where are they from. They 'appear' to be on the anomaly lines, -ve and +ve?

• Like 3

Posted

I think you are taking it too far to make that assumption Nick but that is just my opinion.

Are you drawing suggested isobars or contours and where are they from. They 'appear' to be on the anomaly lines, -ve and +ve?

Are we confusing upper flow and potential surface flow here?

Posted

Dreaded shortwave energy in the Atlantic showing up which is stopping the Euro slug high from edging nw. Yet another complication, we might get away with it if these track over the top of the high eastwards and theres a clearance upstream but really not needed at this point.

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

Dreaded shortwave energy in the Atlantic showing up which is stopping the Euro slug high from edging nw. Yet another complication, we might get away with it if these track over the top of the high eastwards and theres a clearance upstream but really not needed at this point.

It's not like we haven't seen it very recently nick!  Not exactly the same evolution but quite similar results with the surface ridge pushed back east i to  w Europe 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

Can't have a cold shot without a last minute shortwave appear from no where nick.

Posted
1 minute ago, Man With Beard said:

4 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Whose we? :)

Posted
9 minutes ago, knocker said:

Sorry Nick I'm not following this. How can you deduce streamlines from the anomalies which are not actually features at the surface or 500mb. Genuinely puzzled here.? Surely you have to take the flow from the contour lines?

Dont you recall this debate with me in December knocks? It does take a small leap of faith in the anomolies being accurate in representing where the surface features will lie.   

Posted
12 minutes ago, knocker said:

10 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

Ok, I'm not going to argue as I'm probably being too verbatim re: the anomaly contours, so accept that the flow is probably NWly based on the 500mb contours alone.

But back to my original comment, doesn't that the -ve anomaly over Europe and +ve height anomaly over N Atlantic and far south of Greenlalnd suggests something similar to 12z GFS op than 12 EC det?

Edited by Nick F

Posted
Just now, bluearmy said:

It's not like we haven't seen it very recently nick!  Not exactly the same evolution but quite similar results with the surface ridge pushed back east i to  w Europe

This is exactly why I won't believe that slug is gone until its in the more reliable timeframe. The ensembles are always slow to pick up shortwave energy. The GFS 18hrs might avoid disaster because it doesn't phase the one further upstream but if it did it would be curtains. For this reason I'm not buying any definite low heights over southern Europe until its within T144hrs.

• Like 1

Posted

I am not able to chat about this at the moment but will try and explain what the 500mb anoaly charts actually show in more detail tomorrow. Just briefly now

1) The predicted contour flow ( On NOAA charts these are show in green). You could somewhat not exactly say they are isobars at 500mb

2) The dotted blue and red lines on NOAA charts are -ve and +ve height anomalies for the areas marked. Nothing to do with any surface flow.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

I am not able to chat about this at the moment but will try and explain what the 500mb anoaly charts actually show. Just briefly now

1) The predicted contour flow ( On NOAA charts these are show in green). You could somewhat not exactly say they are isobars at 500mb

2) The dotted blue and red lines on NOAA charts are -ve and +ve height anomalies for the areas marked. Nothing to do with any surface flow.

But you could try to guess surface flow possibilities based on the 500mb lines, which is what I think Nick is doing?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Yup pretty much the same theme being modeled by the GFS. Very cold, potentially snowy with raw winds. :cold:
gfsnh-0-222.png?18

• Like 9

Posted

Some brilliant charts rolling out again from GFS tonight, if it's prolonged cold and snow you like, a shame that they are at 8+ days away!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

What's not to like about this

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_gfs-1-234.png

• Like 5