Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 29th December - Into mid-Winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.
44 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

Now I wonder....

20170103_190241.png

Is this what comes next?....

Nice cold uppers coming our way as well...

ECH0-240.gif

Coming from a realistic point of view- isn't it unlikely that our entire longitude position across the entire earth is affected by a cold outbreak? Below average in a ring around the earth. Chart seems unlikely, surely?

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Everyone in a bit of a hurry for some reason. The day 7 northerly (re ukmo and ECM)  is an added extra. The main course as shown at the end of the ECM is bang in line with the extended ens for many days now. With the 12z op now showing the pattern at day 10, fully expect the eps to finally show the high anomolies to our south to be buggering off by day 10 which is an important timescale re the change in resolution on the eps. 

in fact the geps bring the trough in day 9 whilst the GEFS have moved back to day 11. Longer term, the hemispheric pattern continues to establish, whereby the aleutian ridge splits through between the vortices and establishes on the Siberian side whilst the Siberian vortex segment works its way around the Bering sea towards Alaska. This will hopefully have the effect of drawing the Canadian segment's attention towards Alaska and theoretically should allow a better chance for HLB to establish to our north/northeast. 

starting to wonder what exactly will throw the current drift to proper cold off track. perhaps the troughing will drop quickly south, before any really cold uppers have time to advect south westwards and the ridging will drop in over the uk with the euro trough a bit too far south to affect us. That's not what the mean/anomolies show but would be nuts our luck this season. note the gfsp, having trailed the current route to cold by mid month has gone awol on the pattern in general. 

Ha ha It gets you like that doesn't it. It shouldn't but it does! If it can go wrong, seemingly it will.

I do agree with you ref the timing. Anything ('proper' cold wise) prior to mid month I am viewing as a bonus. Some great building blocks being stacked up in our favour in terms of HLB forming in the right locale. The gradual movement away of the Southerly slug being the critical one.

you know somethings afoot when you go to have dinner come pack to 60+ replies. brilliant 12z suite. big day of model watching tomorrow the 00z and the 12z will be massive in deciding what path we take. us coldies will go to bed tonight hoping and dreaming of a snowy Nirvana. will our dreams come true or will they turn into nightmares.? tomorrow will tell us the answers. i remember back to the cold spell of Jan 2013 GFS was late to the party Steve Murr called it right then with the GFS slowly backtracking toward UKMO/ECM. Will it happen again?

Posted
1 minute ago, More Snow said:

you know somethings afoot when you go to have dinner come pack to 60+ replies. brilliant 12z suite. big day of model watching tomorrow the 00z and the 12z will be massive in deciding what path we take. us coldies will go to bed tonight hoping and dreaming of a snowy Nirvana. will our dreams come true or will they turn into nightmares.? tomorrow will tell us the answers. i remember back to the cold spell of Jan 2013 GFS was late to the party Steve Murr called it right then with the GFS slowly backtracking toward UKMO/ECM. Will it happen again?

It's precisely 10yrs to the week from the infamous 'Easterly that never was' of Jan' 2006. ALL the models predicted a monster Beast from the East then collapsed to nothing in 36hrs. I'd stocked up the freezer and piled the house full of wood and coal. The bitter recriminationations rumbled on for months on the forum.

• Like 8

Posted
1 minute ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

It's precisely 10yrs to the week from the infamous 'Easterly that never was' of Jan' 2006. ALL the models predicted a monster Beast from the East then collapsed to nothing in 36hrs. I'd stocked up the freezer and piled the house full of wood and coal. The bitter recriminationations rumbled on for months on the forum.

But its also nearly 30 years since west cornwall had its last snowfest so anything goes....hopefully...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE
24 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

I think best looking no futher than144 at present or I will lose my sanity:yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes
1 hour ago, radiohead said:

Some cold air creeping in at the end of the ECM run. Snow showers for northern parts and on high ground, but of course it's really far into FI. Just for fun.

ECU0-240.GIF?03-0

I think your find most of the uk would see wintry weather from this buzzard conditions as well.

Shame it's way out into lala garden path land.

Anyway what is interesting is the ukmo and ecm 144 could very well lead me to my 2 day ban.

I think the little scandic ridge could well be enough to disrupt lower heights on a north west to south east movement although caution needed as it's possible the azores heights could aid a push of lower heights more east there for continued close but no cigar.

BUT THERE IS POTENTIAL but I'd be expecting to see high lat blocking at some point now we have zero spot count and as cold air is deeply established into eastern and south eastern Europe real battle about to take place.

But I'm staying on the fence until the main 3 have all this into the t96 maybe worth watching the main models to 72hr then I ramp before my ban lol.

Although I'm not overly confident.

Posted
28 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

Coming from a realistic point of view- isn't it unlikely that our entire longitude position across the entire earth is affected by a cold outbreak? Below average in a ring around the earth. Chart seems unlikely, surely?

I think you are being swayed by the appearance of blue everywhere. If you look at the 850 anomalies you will see that there is roughly even spread of colder and warmer. It is just that warmer in say Siberia or N China (where I happen to be going to for 10 days) is still very cold in terms of 850s. In fact under the large HP there the 850s will not have much influence and at the surface there is very little difference (typical Max -15, Min -25 in Harbin where I am going).

ECH0-240.gif

ECH100-240.gif

ECH100-240.gif

• Like 1

Posted

I do hope some of these models do verify, and we get some snow / wintry showers and real cold. Something surely has got to give easily. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Not a bad mean at all!! 

IMG_5143.PNG

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, Steve Murr said:

Ukmo 168 off the press- :)

IMG_1292.PNG

decent digging of the low but looks to me like we need the high higher, it might just be the angle of that chart though.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

IMG_1292.PNG

That looks really good, shame we can't see more of Europe and the Russian ridge extending further west!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in winter Warm Sunny Summer
5 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

IMG_1292.PNG

That's disrupting and heading into Spain if we can get a westward correction we'd be right on the money but that's surely disrupting against a block to the north east look at the cold front heading straight down into Spain.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Nice ecm but as we all know it can go tits up before the reliable time frame of T96.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
4 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Nice ecm but as we all know it can go tits up before the reliable time frame of T96.

It can but the trend here is key. I am greatly surprised by the ECM and even more by Steve for mentioning it a few days ago it had my interest but given the time frame I didn't think much. Now its a case of back the pattern west with more disruption SE and we start getting better heights NE asking a lot but the models like to make fun of us all at times. 

Edited by SN0WM4N
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
26 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

IMG_1292.PNG

Due to the limited visibility it's hard to tell but here is Jan 2013 at a similar angle.

e7bb27f0cf20ea29e58af2df8db3841a.png

Edited by SN0WM4N
  • Like 8