Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 29th December - Into mid-Winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

If we can keep backing west then we'd be in business!

Im not sure if this is a possibility, but with Steve picking out what looks to be an excellent interpretation, is it on the cards to back the pattern even further west?? Or are we looking to dig the trough further south east before it fills?

ECMOPEU12_168_1.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, nick sussex said:

Really! Lets hope that's not repeated.I can't remember what drama that was over, easterly by any chance?

Yes - This - Remarkable consistency - consistently wrong!!!!!!!

gfsnh-2012120512-0-192_pda3.pnggfsnh-2012120412-0-192_dfi0.pnggfsnh-2012120600-0-192_zie9.pngECH1-240_mkz5.GIFECH1-216_ddx1.GIF

ECH1-240.GIF?12

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wild!
7 minutes ago, s4lancia said:

Whilst the +168 is not particularly noteworthy taking it at face value, the gradual trend is evident that we are looking at some form trough disruption sending energy SE. Back it a few hundred miles west and game on. If not, still game on as we will get a med low

ECH1-168.GIF.png

Is this the same Nly outbreak that broke our hearts a few days ago when the METO said no?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

If this doesn't get your attention for evolving cold infer...

Not much will!! Pushing and squeezing of troghing' and refraction of cold east Europe. .

Aiding supplements of inverging disrupting Russian /western most Scandinavia. ....then im baffled. .

Very encourage d..and think things are looking hearty for decent potential. .for ourselves! !!

ECH1-192-6.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Day after tomorrow.
16 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

For the GFS to be correct both the ECM and UKMO have to be wrong at T96hrs. At this point there are already some important differences over the e/se of the USA and to the ne over Russia.

When was the last time the Euros combined were wrong at that timeframe? I don't think any of us are in the mood for the GFS with its flattest solution  to be correct!

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it the gfs that first backtracked from the infamous Dec 2012 beast from the east. Granted this is a completely different situation.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
Just now, radiohead said:

ECM looking a tad flat at T216. But this is well into FI and very likely to change again in the morning.

ECH1-216.GIF

At least we get into a cold PM flow.

UKMO was a little better with that second low and I think that if we want to draw high pressure far enough West we are going to need that to disrupt SE and push WAA NE to reinforce heights there - the slower those lows the further South they are likely to dig and the more disruption potential there will be. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
12 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

'That ECM'

Just remember, if the evolution is to cold weather, the UKMO was first against the others. :)

Posted
15 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Really! Lets hope that's not repeated.I can't remember what drama that was over, easterly by any chance?

I was there, Nick. I was there on that fateful night in the wee small hours when the 00z came out. The Fat Lady was finally untied from her chair thanks to that "poxxing short wave" (in Steve Murr's words) which showed up in exactly the wrong place. Seemingly out of nowhere.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
Just now, northwestsnow said:

ECM0-240.GIF?03-0

Northwestsnow...:yahoo:

Very nice indeed! 

Starting to see the ops model what the ensembles have been hinting at for a few days now in terms of a cool down.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, Seasonality said:

Just remember, if the evolution is to cold weather, the UKMO was first against the others. :)

If its via an in initial polar maritime flow from the NW then its the much maligned GEFS ensembles that picked it up first on new years day morning.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Even JMA sniffing a trigger low, just doesn't pull that trigger.

JN144-21.GIF?03-12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Evening all and a Happy New Year to all on NW.  What a nice ECM chart to end with at 240, the evolution between 192 - 240 is really encouraging with heights building towards Greenland and very cold uppers approaching from the NW/N. Things have taken a turn for the better......for now!

Edit - ignore the bottom chart, wrong one that I can't get rid of !?

ECH1-240 (1).gif

ECH0-240.gif

ECH1-240.gif

Edited by Ice Day
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, Mucka said:

Even JMA sniffing a trigger low, just doesn't pull that trigger.

JN144-21.GIF?03-12

Trouble is with the ECM and JMA, there isn't enough of a 'wedge' of HP behind that slider low to shut the door on the Atlantic behind. You see with the ECM (which almost makes it BTW) that LP just piles in again following the slider. As I said UKMO too optimistic...GFS probably too pessimistic on balance this evening.

• Like 1

Posted

Now I wonder....

20170103_190241.png

Is this what comes next?....

Nice cold uppers coming our way as well...

ECH0-240.gif

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
8 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

Now I wonder....

20170103_190241.png

Is this what comes next?....

Nice cold uppers coming our way as well...

ECH0-240.gif

Nice illustration Bobby.....I am behind you on that.  I think main thrust will not be before midmonth but the positioning and angling as we see will be.  This is a test now as UKMO led last time, it is leading now. Let's get t144 to t72 and we are in business with a real chance of a potent second half of Jan.

BFTP

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

ECM101-168.GIF?03-0gfs-12-168.png?12

GFS and ECM at 168.

I will eat my hat if the ECM beats the GFS at 168 hours... provided it is backed up by its ensembles.

I wonder... is the ECM showing increasing influence of the Siberian High, forcing the pattern to back further west?

ECH101-144.GIF?03-0

ECM anomaly at 144 is fantastic.

Cannot for the life of me understand all the pessimism on here,  there is fantastic potential.

Deep low heights and cold locked in over Europe, Atlantic ridging, Southerly tracking lows diving into Europe.

Yes,granted, the long range models have made a complete fool of themselves this winter.

The above chart is 144 hours out... We are by far in the best position all winter, probably even better than anything we had last winter.

Doesn't the cold usually hit Europe first, then the Uk is usually one of the last countries to join the fun as we are on the western edge of the continent?

Just because we just missed an opportunity for cold doesnt mean anything in the grand scheme of things, still 2 months of winter to go!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Baltic

Since everyone is getting the crayons out tonight thought I'd better join in :D Red line roughly what tonights ECM is showing for the same timescale (+144) I think the energy from the high pressure in the atlantic moving N/E will amplify the Jet and turbo boost the incoming Low we see on the ECM +192 chart. Wet and Very windy for Scotland bringing white stuff in Blizzard formation to Higher ground.Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 19.37.26.png

• Like 3