Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 29th December - Into mid-Winter.

Posted

UKMO 144 gives us some hope! It's now the saviour at t144 as to my rather tired eyes the GFS is a pretty dire outlook! The slug high is staying put if we trust the GFS!! :wallbash:

Anyone got any salt?:diablo:

Edited by Weathizard
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.

Has GFS had a few last night? :drunk-emoji: :DAtlantic heights and an easterly return in FI.

gfs-0-348.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Again the GFS showing us part of the pattern of the Winter with a zonal spell mixed in the play book. The PV remains mobile  as it has a couple of times this winter will move to the north of the UK on this run. So HP in some guise from D2 to around D8, then the vortex drains away from the Canadian side on its slow journey back to the Siberian region. Heights then rebuild in the Atlantic and the pattern continues.

The signal has been mobility of the PV from Siberia to NE Canada for a few days with no signal after it gets there. This is now suggesting the next path of the PV mobility. So potential for some cold air in the mid-latitude as that occurs, but that needs tightening up on in the next few days as it is from D11. ECM not as progressive with the pattern but on the same page:

D10 gfsnh-0-240 (3).pngECH1-240 (2).gif

With respect to the second northerly, that was dead yesterday, but ECM moves it east further still and the GFS op it doesn't really happen (flatter pattern):

gfs-0-144.pngECM1-168 (3).gif

UKMO appear to have moved towards the GFS with a wedge of HP in Europe at D6 which will also flatten the pattern in the next frames.

So in the reliable, just-below average temps from a SE perspective, nothing wintry likely, but feeling cold I would expect. No point going further than D9 until we see if the new trend is a runner, as with new signals the GFS tends to over play its hand, and the op and control are showing the coldest solutions, highlighting this:

graphe9_1000_306_141___Londres (6).gif

Edited by IDO
  • Like 5

Posted

A very disappointing ECM (unless you live in Eastern/Southeastern Europe). This says it all really.

tempresult_xsi1.gif

The GFS offers a glimmer of hope deep in FI, but it's colder than all 20 ensembles on the 16th.

Edited by radiohead

Posted

Looking more an more like we needed to get that blocking established before the next movement of the p/v fired the jet and attempted to flatten it. now we see it much too easy to send most into the northern arm and you can cross the following off your list for the locale of the upper ridge

iceland

scandi

leaving sceuro, UK, east Atlantic, euruk, and perhaps we should add Azores and euro just in case!

eps due out shortly and what I shall be looking for is the propensity to maintain the w euro heights for longer (as the Southern arm into Iberia may well be starved ) creating a general nw/se jet flow into e Europe which really wouldn't be of much wintry use to most of the uk. 

Even the gem ens are now clear on a decent neg AO establishing for week 2. (Making cross model ens agreement) are we destined to miss out again on a further draining of low temps into the mid lats? 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

MT8_Manchester_ens.png

All to play for.HNY

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

A lot of dry weather to be had over the next 10 day's according to ECM if it's proper cold you want eastern Europe is the place to be

ECMOPEU00_48_2.pngECMOPEU00_96_2.pngECMOPEU00_144_2.png

ECMOPEU00_192_2.pngECMOPEU00_240_2.png

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
44 minutes ago, radiohead said:

A very disappointing ECM (unless you live in Eastern/Southeastern Europe). This says it all really.

tempresult_xsi1.gif

The GFS offers a glimmer of hope deep in FI, but it's colder than all 20 ensembles on the 16th.

Minus double digits if that verifies. :cold:

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, knocker said:

The ext EPS not anywhere near as keen on zonality as the GEFS and retains positive anomalies and a ridge to the west of the UK and thus the latter still under the umbrella of a quite cold NW upper flow. I'm inclined to go along with this at moment keeping in mind the latest NOAA

Yes, the extended eps far better than I anticipated.   Deep upper trough over Central/Eastern Europe and upper ridge in the mid-Atlantic.  The 850s for day 12-15 in London are circa -4 (which is pretty decent at that range).

Posted
14 minutes ago, knocker said:

The ext EPS not anywhere near as keen on zonality as the GEFS and retains positive anomalies and a ridge to the west of the UK and thus the latter still under the umbrella of a quite cold NW upper flow. I'm inclined to go along with this at moment keeping in mind the latest NOAA

notwithstanding the disappointment on here for the vast majority of the failure of the retrogression, the cross model extended ens in general point to a very cold European outlook and the sceuro low anomoly backing further west to encompass the uk. Retrogression of the Euro heights on the eps look more likely on the 00z run, initially to wsw of the uk allowing that nw/se axis on the jet but increasingly wnw which allows the trough to back west. 

the GEPS  and GEFS this morning on the same page in their 11-16 dayers and the eps 10/15 almost the same. 

IMG_0545.PNG IMG_0546.PNG

The GFS operational probably not too far away from what seems on the table if you move it a few hundred miles north in the mid term and then ignore the over amplification post T300. (Which could of course happen but wont  show on a mean output at that range).

so the Atlantic high anomoly dumbells around reacting to the upstream forcing and allows systems to traverse around the top and dive to our se. The upper trough slowly backing west in time to give a cold cyclonic European pattern by end week 2. No doubt Matt will avail twitter as to the clustering on the eps. 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 6

Posted

All looks fairly positive from my point of view, yes, the easterly looks dead in the water, however deep cold is now seeping south into Europe,  with all operationals hinting that pressure will rise again in the Atlantic a good chance of further northerly blasts increasing in intensity especially mid month would be my estimate.

• Like 1

Posted

Have to laugh at the GEFS ensembles. Just been looking at the 850hpa mean for Friday runs and compared with todays 0Z. For the 8th Jan we have seen a rise of around 10C!!

Still I do agree with the positive vibe on here because it looks as though we might be chasing the next cold spell very soon. Only difference is thankfully this is more likely from the NW/N than the E.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

1stJan00zTriggerLowCalamity.PNG

This low off N. America in 6-7 days time is really bugging me. Once the models had it interacting with the Azores Low and acting as a trigger for a temporary ridge toward Greenland which allowed LP to dive well south through C/E Europe and HP to ridge over the top i.e. to through N. Scandinavia. Now they're firing the N. American low over the block, GFS with outrageous gusto while ECM is more restrained. UKMO is about halfway between those two models (back to normal for that model then!).

It's a troublemaker because it doesn't gain much of an identity until 6 days time, meaning there's a lot of scope for error with the track and timing of this feature - which means the case for calling a more mobile spell is as precarious as that for calling a continued blocked scenario (which by the way includes the form horse of recent weeks; UK blocking).

The more mobile outcome sees the main thrust of the Canadian vortex seeking to escape to Siberia while the remnants are retrogressed by the major Pacific ridge/block. That pull west taking place across N. America is the reason for GFS turning back to a northerly type theme in the 10-16 day range. So we see that something's still up and the vortex isn't looking to organise and 'plow the road', but we've little clear indication as to how things will actually come together, if much at all prior to the potential upward kick in GLAAM via tropical forcing that Tamara has recently alluded to. The EC ensembles have recently picked up on this signal for about two weeks from now, but the other models show little interest at this point in time.

• Like 6

Posted

Having seen the 00Zs, it's time for my obituary on the "easterly".

The new ECM's consistency in December have me confidence to believe in it for the height rises to and beyond the UK.

Alas, I gave the model too much credit. It was clear all along that the development of the easterly depended upon a very complex arrangement of interconnecting lows in the mid-Atlantic to allow the necessary ridge to form. If I'd thought about it, I would have known the precise arrangement was unlikely unless modelled within T72. Lesson learned ... again!!

I would add a positive though - it looks likely that heights are going low over Europe by week 2. That may bring us closer to another northerly shot before too long.

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, KTtom said:

All looks fairly positive from my point of view, yes, the easterly looks dead in the water, however deep cold is now seeping south into Europe,  with all operationals hinting that pressure will rise again in the Atlantic a good chance of further northerly blasts increasing in intensity especially mid month would be my estimate.

Exactly, KT, and the low heights seeping deep into the Mediterranean, even by ECM:

ECMOPEU00_240_1.png

, will make it difficult for that high to sink.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
2 hours ago, carinthian said:

Happy NY from Austria. Still a lot of water under the bridge till next weekend. The Mid week synoptic forecast chart from UKMO looks cold for many in Euroland and including The British Isles. The extended charts to 120t chart keep you lot under settled cold wintry conditions for most of next week. By weekend we could see a better chance of snow in week 2 for you hopefully. What I am saying , not all is lost. Much better charts than last winters full throttle zonal charts with not even a frost in sight for you guys. The general pattern remains blocked and your time will come.

C

20161231.2248.PPVM89.png

Looks like Austria going into the freezer later in the week. Will be a shock over here with such low uppers after the mild, sunny Christmas and New Year. Still on the cold side for much of England and Wales.

C

GFSOPME06_111_2.png

• Like 6