Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 29th December - Into mid-Winter.

Posted

Extended de bilts

IMG_3903.PNG

Strongest cluster is actually lower than the mean

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 2

Posted

Very difficult for most of us to decipher ext ens as we don't have access to clusters, anomalies etc. Bluearmy's post though does sum up what I feared about the high sitting it's backside on the UK. At least it will feel like winter though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

pluim_06260_15D.png

As Ali posted

Posted
5 minutes ago, johncam said:

So guys what are we saying back to square one with high over us?

tough one but not the same as now with euro heights much lower. Likely to see an easterly flow of sorts but whether that's beneath the influence of a high or a proper cold feed from the continent or battle ground as the Atlantic approaches, who knows. what I will say is that the extended ens are steadfast in removing fhe euro high anoms but close inspection of the eps days 8 to 6 over the past two days reveal that the Euro heights are now predicted stronger than they were 48 hours ago! 

ec46 due out in an hour 

21 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

Hi Steve. Please could you elaborate. Maybe with a chart or graph. Because I don't understand how @feb1991blizzard sees a "downgrade" (hate that term), yet you and others see it being good for cold. I  ask because you're better at explaining such set ups than I am. :)

Yes the debilt ones- note that the OP has only 5 members supporting the same T2M - with significant clustering below - suggesting a slightly higher amplitude wave -

IMG_1229.PNG

Day 11-15 show whats expected - mean drops to 1-2c  with sub zero clustering

IMG_1231.PNG

For the SE contingent ECM has the frontal zone clearing midnight Sun

IMG_1230.PNG

S

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

tough one but not the same as now with euro heights much lower. Likely to see an easterly flow of sorts but whether that's beneath the influence of a high or a proper cold feed from the continent or battle ground as the Atlantic approaches, who knows. what I will say is that the extended ens are steadfast in removing fhe euro high anoms but close inspection of the eps days 8 to 6 over the past two days reveal that the Euro heights are now predicted stronger than they were 48 hours ago! 

ec46 due out in an hour 

Yes, that's like the op, that's because the high isn't sharp enough and too much further East, so low heights further away from a favourable position.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

I would say that the greatest blocking anomaly is just north of Scotland - but that it could be centred anywhere from western Scandi to Iceland to Shetland. Would leave an Easterly chance for the southern half of the country but more settled further north. Presently the really cold anomaly 850 wise is further east. Good to sea the block underpinned by low anomalies to our south

Whilst I'd love to see a protracted easterly, chio, I'd most certainly not welcome anything like today's 06Z: Snow by the bucket-load? Yes. Freezing-fog? Yes. A week between -10 and -20C - snow or not? Not on your life!:shok:

I think we can all be thankful that that particular run will never verify!:friends:

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Yes the debilt ones- note that the OP has only 5 members supporting the same T2M - with significant clustering below - suggesting a slightly higher amplitude wave -

IMG_1229.PNG

Day 11-15 show whats expected - mean drops to 1-2c  with sub zero clustering

IMG_1231.PNG

For the SE contingent ECM has the frontal zone clearing midnight Sun

IMG_1230.PNG

S

Ref the front clearing the south, the -5c 850 around the M4 corridor in a Northerly would surely indicate a good chance of back edge snow - minimal but still a chance

Edited by Ali1977

Posted
8 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Very difficult for most of us to decipher ext ens as we don't have access to clusters, anomalies etc. Bluearmy's post though does sum up what I feared about the high sitting it's backside on the UK. At least it will feel like winter though.

15 days is a long way away and making a call on where a high might sit itself is a bit pointless. euro troughing has always been tough for the models to resolve and just how low heights may go to our south is going to prove pretty difficult to resolve. It could well end up quite a spread block across nw Europe but then again, it could be a screaming beasterly. mogreps and glosea will dictate exeters prose on the 15 and  30 day tomorrow. I expect they will play safe with the high pressure and colder than average outlook. Don't blame them!

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Ref the front clearing the south, the -5c 850 around the M4 corridor in a Northerly would surely indicate a good chance of back edge snow - minimal but still a chance

Yes certainly - I would suggest the downs or the eastern end of cotswolds - Dunstable & the usual suspects poss dusting - wet snow for the rest unless we do get a ripple running along the trailing front - im 50/50 for here @ Greenhithe for seeing snow falling sunday as the thames usually provides around 0.5c-1c of upward modification into the lowest levels of the atmosphere impeding those closest ...

SE essex up to Cambs & Herts & across to oxford would be the sweet spots ...

• Like 7

one thing i will say is that i find it fascinating how people view the model out put... one person says it a horror show next poster says its an awesome run. it has been a long time since we have seen such eye candy, for many its the first time since 2013.. we didnt have such a bad spell in Jan 2015 up here with some cracking snowfall. anyways not too long before the pub run comes out. will go all out drunk or will it sober the minds of us coldies? either way its been an entertaining day of model out put for sure...

Edited by Guest

Posted

Yes Dennis, quite a snowy para days 8 onwards although thriugh week 2 it again goes cold zonal with snowfall associated with runners along the base of the upper trough. At odds with the mean anomolies on  GEFS and eps

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

can hear the popcorn and Coke being munched on in here as the pub run is rolling out ;)

dare I say it, it's looking better. Firstly for New Year's Day into the 2nd and more digging south of the shortwave over NW Iberia! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
11 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

can hear the popcorn and Coke being munched on in here as the pub run is rolling out ;)

dare I say it, it's looking better. Firstly for New Year's Day into the 2nd and more digging south of the shortwave over NW Iberia! 

First change i can see  (minor) is far north east at T96, cant seem to post charts at present maybe used by quota for the day

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 2