Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Met Office Warnings

Cookie

Posted

This is not a thread to bad mouth the Met Office but I really dont understand the warnings that they issue at times or lack of them. I known they are based on impacts as well as how bad the weather is. 

No warning for us in the Western Isles winds gusted 70 mph across the Western Isles. Road closed, buildings with structural damage, power cuts and dangerous driving conditions.  For a time period of 8 hrs. So how dose that not warrant a warning?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

The Christmas storm also probably warrants at least an amber warning at this stage too? Although I'm assuming this will likely be issued in the early hours of tomorrow morning? 

ukgust.png

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
37 minutes ago, cookie said:

This is not a thread to bad mouth the Met Office but I really dont understand the warnings that they issue at times or lack of them. I known they are based on impacts as well as how bad the weather is. 

No warning for us in the Western Isles winds gusted 70 mph across the Western Isles. Road closed, buildings with structural damage, power cuts and dangerous driving conditions.  For a time period of 8 hrs. So how dose that not warrant a warning?

It does why not email them and ask why???

I did that for the storm that never was when they slapped warnings all over the country for severe gales when nothing was happening.. The answer I got "They weren't removed because the person responsible had gone for the night" So perhaps you'll get "gone out for breakfast or "gone out for lunch"

Posted
4 minutes ago, The PIT said:

It does why not email them and ask why???

I did that for the storm that never was when they slapped warnings all over the country for severe gales when nothing was happening.. The answer I got "They weren't removed because the person responsible had gone for the night" So perhaps you'll get "gone out for breakfast or "gone out for lunch"

I did yesterday and got the stock response of impact based warnings. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
51 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

The Christmas storm also probably warrants at least an amber warning at this stage too? Although I'm assuming this will likely be issued in the early hours of tomorrow morning? 

ukgust.png

Warnings only cover five days, including today, so it'll appear by tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
44 minutes ago, cookie said:

I did yesterday and got the stock response of impact based warnings. 

So basically screwed up another words.

Posted
3 hours ago, cookie said:

It does seem odd that the Met haven't issued a weather warning for the Highlands and Islands today. 90mph gust reported on the Isle of Skye, power cuts yet this doesn't merit a warning? Mmmmm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in the summer

Totally agree Cookie.

It seems odd that there was no warning for the general public but Aberdeen Met office sent us 4 warnings for severe weather to affect the airport.  Strange they can issue them to us but not the rest of the island.

Incidentally we clocked 64 Kts at the airport with a sustained speed of 40-50 kts for much of the day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
On 12/20/2016 at 17:15, NorthernRab said:

ukgust.png

There is still some uncertainty about Christmas day low. There is now a yellow warning, also most of the public should now be aware that it is going to be windy this weekend, so I think the MO are just waiting to firm up the detail about Sunday and if it does need an Amber and for which parts of UK. The Friday Amber (#StormBarbara) was issued in good time. There is often a lot of waiting until 11am about these warnings. 

• Like 1