Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Very Mild December

Posted

I think one remarkable thing for me about this month is that despite it being reletively mild, it has not been a overly wet month at all thus far unlike of course last December, it has been remarkably dull as far sunshine amounts are concerned though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

A mean of 5.7c here so far this month, 2.5c above the 30 year average. If this is maintained to the end of the month it would be the equal third warmest December ( with 1988) since my records began in 1963. The only ones warmer than 2016 were in 1974 and 2015.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 hour ago, Scorcher said:

I think the fact that people think this is a 'standard' or 'normal' December shows just how perceptions have been skewed by that frankly ridiculous December of last year.

There has been hardly any frost to speak of here in 20 days- that's not normal for a winter month!

Agreed. It is as far from a 'standard December' as you could wish to be (if you exclude the extremes a la 2015). 2C above average temperature anomaly is not typical in any month.

I can't believe anyone would try and argue that this month has been standard!

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2

Posted

Who said it has been 'standard'.
 I described it as mild not Very Mild because it hasn't been very mild here.
Then pointed out the rest of the month (here) is likely to be around normal or just above.

December is not usually a particularly cold month as it's still almost late Autumn.
Just like the hottest par of summer is rarely in June the colder months are January and February and into March

Posted

It has been very dry here that's far more unusual.

Just 13mm so far and again there won't be much the next ten days I'd be surprised if we reach 20mm which is about 25% normal.
High Pressure has dominated with very litle Atlantic influence.

Posted

December last year (here) had no less than 18 days reaching above 10C (I'd consider very mild) and highest was 14.8C on the 19th
This year only 4 days above 10C so far and highest 12.8C on the 7th.

There is no comparison, this year has been relatively normal but on the mild side.
The rest of the month will continue much the same.

Edited by 4wd

Posted
3 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Agreed. It is as far from a 'standard December' as you could wish to be (if you exclude the extremes a la 2015). 2C above average temperature anomaly is not typical in any month.

I can't believe anyone would try and argue that this month has been standard!

Yes and I actually want something colder this year as well- I enjoyed the colder November with the dry, crisp days. It's nice to actually be able to wear proper winter clothes and not get too hot. I hope for your sake that things get better- still plenty of time!

• Like 3