Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Very Mild December

Posted

Just looked through all my data from this month and thought id compare it to December 2015 which had an anomaly of 3.9c above average here.

Now last December was by far the mildest by a huge margin i think, back to god knows when. (warmest on record since 1910 UK and warmest since 1659 CET)

scarily the anomaly this month is sitting at 3.5c and is not far off that 2015 figure at all. 

Anyone else got such a close match between this year and last?

Edited by Lake District Blizzards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Last December was 4.3c above average here, and its currently 2.7c above average here but it's likely to drop a bit this week. 

December has been very extreme in the last century with a record high and low for my area. Dec 2010 was 4.5c below average!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Lake District Blizzards said:

Just looked through all my data from this month and thought id compare it to December 2015 which had an anomaly of 3.9c above average here.

Now last December was by far the mildest by a huge margin i think, back to god knows when. (warmest on record since 1910 UK and warmest since 1659 CET)

scarily the anomaly this month is sitting at 3.5c and is not far off that 2015 figure at all. 

Anyone else got such a close match between this year and last?

Surprised its that high. It was quite a chilly start, but yes we've had consistently very mild weather since the 7th, the outlook is for more nearer average temps which will help to prevent it rivalling last December, but another very mild one looks on the cards.

We've had some very mild second halves to December since 2010, becoming a trend.. and not a nice one from a personal perspective.

Real pity we couldn't exchange the outlook for the 23-26 Dec 2016 with that of 23-26 Nov 2016 which was cold with long lasting frost, snow on the fells. What's the betting we see a colder easter than christmas yet again!

Posted

I wouldn't have called it very mild, here we had three days touched 12C otherwise single figure maximums the rule and some chilly nights - though only one air frost. Mean is on 6,4C about +2C
Nothing particularly mild for several days yet.

Posted
2 hours ago, 4wd said:

I wouldn't have called it very mild, here we had three days touched 12C otherwise single figure maximums the rule and some chilly nights - though only one air frost. Mean is on 6,4C about +2C
Nothing particularly mild for several days yet.

nothing mild? For here the overnight lows forecast for the next few days are 5c 4c 5c 5c

December average low here is 1c, so thats 3-4c above average still

The overnight lows are almost the same as what should be the daily high (6c)

very very mild to me. 

Mean here is 7.4c which is 3.5c above average. 

Posted
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Surprised its that high. It was quite a chilly start, but yes we've had consistently very mild weather since the 7th, the outlook is for more nearer average temps which will help to prevent it rivalling last December, but another very mild one looks on the cards.

We've had some very mild second halves to December since 2010, becoming a trend.. and not a nice one from a personal perspective.

Real pity we couldn't exchange the outlook for the 23-26 Dec 2016 with that of 23-26 Nov 2016 which was cold with long lasting frost, snow on the fells. What's the betting we see a colder easter than christmas yet again!

10 / 19 days have reached double figures, several of them 13-14c. a fair few of those days the minimum temp was not much short of the maximum. 

7th for example max was 13.0c min was 11.0c

December is currently 3.4c warmer than November

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Yes a very mild month the few cold nights may have prevented it from gettiing close to the last year. Third warmest here so far.

Posted
1 hour ago, 4wd said:

Look at ours then, only Sunday is a mild day.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2634442/extended

your max's aren't bad but surely those minimums are going to keep the average temperature on the mild side of normal?

Posted

No it will be just above average most likely.
Today shows 4C max, it's 3.7C now with wind gusting to 40mph - it most definitely is not 'mild'

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, 4wd said:

Today shows 4C max, it's 3.7C now with wind gusting to 40mph - it most definitely is not 'mild'

It may not be now, but no one can deny that the last couple of weeks have been very mild when you average it out, and some days have been exceptionally mild.

Wednesday last week was really remarkable here- it was bright and sunny virtually from start to finish but even first thing with clear skies it was 10C- I remember getting into my car at 8 am and barely feeling a chill.

Posted
10 minutes ago, 4wd said:

http://weather.westerdale.info/climatedataout.html
Not so much further east by the look of it

Not sure how you can claim even those figures aren't mild? Every day but 3 in the month have been above the date average and 11 of them have been at least 2C above the date average according to those figures. Not sure about the local averages but the maxima also look milder than average on virtually every day.

You're right to an extent though, it doesn't look quite as mild as it has been in these parts (no 14C+ days).

Posted

It's been mixed down here re temps.

First few days of December 5/6c. Last 10 days or so around 8/9c with odd day at 11c. Today it's bl##dy cold at 5c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

11 out of 20 days this month have had highs above 10C here. Highest was 15C.

Edited by cheese

Posted
Just now, cheese said:

11 out of 20 days this month have had highs above 10C here. Highest was 15C.

And some are trying to deny it's been mild at all. A 24 hour period that is more than 3C above average definitely comes into the very mild category for me. Hardly any frost here at all this month.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Scorcher said:

And some are trying to deny it's been mild at all. A 24 hour period that is more than 3C above average definitely comes into the very mild category for me. Hardly any frost here at all this month.

Definitely mild. Comparing it to the insane month that was December 2015 - the most anomalous month ever recorded - is silly. No month will appear mild compared to that!

• Like 1

Posted

It's been a mild December, despite the cold start but there has been some chilly nights. Nowhere near last year's ridicilousness at all. If anything, it's been a standard December to put it bluntly. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

I have to agree, been a standard December, however be interesting to see what the sunshine average will be got to be way low especially here in Norfolk lots of low cloud.mist and fog, recording average lows of 6c and highs around 9c. However of all the days in December this month how typically that Christmas day I could be challenging a record high for the 3rd year in row 12.5c last year. Absolutely unbelievable this may happen. Had cooler days in Early June that's what is predicted for Sunday I could get a cheeky 14c, I do believe UK record is Edinburgh around 15.5c something like that. You never know get some sun in central London could happen

Posted

This month is far from normal. If it were to finish on the 6.9C it currently is, then it'd be 15th warmest in the last 358 years.

It certainly feels cooler than last December, but that month was ridiculous and even warmer than all Novembers ever except 1994!

Here the mean currently stands at 7.0C, which would put it 3rd warmest since 1980. I don't know what's worse, the fact that last December happened in the first place or the fact we're on course for two exceptionally mild ones on the trot!

• Like 1

Posted

I think the fact that people think this is a 'standard' or 'normal' December shows just how perceptions have been skewed by that frankly ridiculous December of last year.

There has been hardly any frost to speak of here in 20 days- that's not normal for a winter month!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
6 hours ago, 4wd said:

This mornings forecast showed it as 6C for 8 o'clock in fact it was around 2.3C. This mainly due to unexpected clear skies. So they got it slightly wrong. The original forecast values would have given us a mild day with little temperature variation.