Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

January 2017 C.E.T. forecasts

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Sunny Sheffield down to 4.5C if it manages a few more days like this we may go below average. The mild weather being delayed again by the look of the gfs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

After a sub zero mean here yesterday we are at 3.5c so far this month, bang on the 1981-2010 average.

Looks likely we will see the mean drop below average over the coming days as the cold peaks on Thursday.

After seeing this mornings ECM/UKMO my statement that its unlikely Jan will finish below average is looking a bit sketchy!

Posted

Sunny Sheffield at 4.4C shouldn't change tomorrow another drop down for Thursday and Friday and then a very mild Sunday coming up and also Monday and Tuesday in that vain. So a final figure for Sunny Sheffield 4.4C to 4.6C close enough to normal really. 

Posted
2 hours ago, The PIT said:

Sunny Sheffield at 4.4C shouldn't change tomorrow another drop down for Thursday and Friday and then a very mild Sunday coming up and also Monday and Tuesday in that vain. So a final figure for Sunny Sheffield 4.4C to 4.6C close enough to normal really. 

Mmm I wouldn't be too certain about a very mild Sunday and Monday, the models continue to peg back a milder interlude, and the weekend is looking average at best, which leaves us with just 2 days left of January, good chance now we may end up not that far off the 61-90 average, especially if we see marked downward corrections as I expect we will do.

There has been a marked NW-SE split in mean temperature values so far this month, much of the SE quarter of England running 1 degree below I think the 81-10 mean at least, whilst the far NW is running nearly 1 degree above. Indeed we have not been far off recording quite a cold CET this month, alas the UK has just been on the fringes of the cold continental block. Will be interesting to see what the means are for many european countries, below average for many, significantly so for some.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
On 23/01/2017 at 16:08, reef said:

Its been above average here too. We haven't gone below -1.7C all month and have only had 5 air frosts.

The CET is higher than expected as the North of the CET zone has been relatively mild. I imagine Scotland and Northern Ireland will have had quite a mild January overall.

Looking on Wunderground your station has a mean of 4.3c so far this month, I would expect this is around/slightly below average in comparison to the 1981-2010 average?

We are at 3.4c to the 24th, 0.1c below the 1981-2010 average.

Another few drops look likely before its set to become somewhat milder from the weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

5.5°C (+0.7) here, the mean min has fallen to 3.5°C, but the mean max is still at 7.4°C. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid summers, cold winters

The table has been updated again and can be read using the link at the bottom of the page - it is now 4.61 (+0.93)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
Just now, booferking said:

5.5c and people are calling this a cold spell..:rofl:

It is for those in the SE where they've had frost every night for around a week now most of eastern England will struggle to get above 1 or 2c tomorrow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, booferking said:

Ireland is in the Atlantic air! for SE England looks to a below average Jan, but with little if any snow

Posted
Just now, Summer Sun said:

It is for those in the SE where they've had frost every night for around a week now most of eastern England will struggle to get above 1 or 2c tomorrow

Wow 1-2c get your fire lit really sad times people calling that a cold spell.

Posted
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Ireland is in the Atlantic air! for SE England looks to a below average Jan, but with little if any snow

If people in SE England call that a cold spell then i give up colder days and nights when i lived in orange Australia.:rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
11 minutes ago, booferking said:

8 Days of frost and sub-zero temps at night, two days in a row of a sub-zero average temperature. 3 days without fog lifting. 1.4°C taken off of my monthly average in just three days. The fact remains, it has been a quite a prolific period of cold weather down here, whether you agree or not.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

8 Days of frost and sub-zero temps at night, two days in a row of a sub-zero average temperature. 3 days without fog lifting. 1.4°C taken off of my monthly average in just three days. The fact remains. it has been a quite a prolific period of cold weather down here, whether you agree or not.

Whats the CET going to be is well below the Jan Ave??? Iv probaly had more than 12 frost myself Jan nothing special about it just your normal run of the mill jan.

Edited by booferking

Posted
2 minutes ago, booferking said:

If people in SE England call that a cold spell then i give up colder days and nights when i lived in orange Australia.:rofl:

Haha well having just checked, some places in the SE have had minima lower than Orange's record minimum..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
17 minutes ago, booferking said:

agree it's inversion one, but all we can really hope for nowadays, here has been on and off cold, icy, frosty and foggy, too far north and west for the constant inversion chill

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
12 minutes ago, booferking said:

Whats the CET going to be is well below the Jan Ave??? Iv probaly had more than 12 frost myself Jan nothing special about it just your normal run of the mill jan.

Take your moans to the relevant thread.

• Like 4

Posted

3 hours ago, Evening thunder said:

Haha well having just checked, some places in the SE have had minima lower than Orange's record minimum..

Well i would hope so it is Australia we are taking about here lol anyway the  winter i was talking about recorded min temps 0 to -5 for 45 days in the winter months. . Snowfalls there were a few also

1M09g0Cl.jpg

Edited by booferking

Posted

Certainly has been cold recently in many parts of the south, particularly the southeast. Reading University's official station is running at 1.2C below the 1981-2010 average for the month so far, with night time minima averaging below freezing: http://www.met.reading.ac.uk/weatherdata/Reading_monthly_summaries.html. And this is after an unexceptional start to the month.

I guess if you take an average over the CET zone the anomaly will be somewhat less than that though.

• Like 1

Posted

Well no change in Sunny Sheffield still at 4.4C cloud now coming in after a clear day beginning to stop temperatures from dropping so it's 50/50 whether gets anywhere near the mins forecast. If it doesn't we'll stay on 4.4C.  The high mild end of the month has now gone from the GFS so increasing the odds we get an average month temperature wise but a very dry one.

• Like 1

Posted
13 hours ago, vizzy2004 said:

Looking on Wunderground your station has a mean of 4.3c so far this month, I would expect this is around/slightly below average in comparison to the 1981-2010 average?

We are at 3.4c to the 24th, 0.1c below the 1981-2010 average.

Another few drops look likely before its set to become somewhat milder from the weekend.

At the time we were above average but the last couple of days have taken us 0.2C below the 1981-2010 mean.

As PIT mentions above its looking like it will be a pretty average month for temperatures now in this neck of the woods but very dry.

Posted

Well we got the sub zero  temps so we should drop close to average when I check values tonight.