Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted

Yes, 2m temps on that Warsaw ensemble chart.

Well it's another exciting morning in the forum. At T240, 10 out of 22 GEFS ensemble members not only maintain strong heights towards Scandi but also develop low heights over C Europe, many forming a cut-off high to our NE. The remainder either keep heights strong to the east without low heights to the south, or (just a few) flatten the pattern slightly bringing something more westerly over most parts. But in general, the GEFS week 2 looking like ECM46 week 2.

But the ECM op is having none of it. It smashes the block out of Scandi in later stages and storms rather than cold would be the buzz word.

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 2

Posted

Just one more from me for now - I note the GEFS mean by T192 has shifted the huge high further north, centred over southern Scandinavia at 1035mb

gens-21-1-192.png

Given the strength of the mean high, I'd imagine the ECM evolution is quite unlikely this morning. 

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Just one more from me for now - I note the GEFS mean by T192 has shifted the huge high further north, centred over southern Scandinavia at 1035mb

gens-21-1-192.png

Given the strength of the mean high, I'd imagine the ECM evolution is quite unlikely this morning. 

Maybe but let's wait for the superior product (the ECM eps) first...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

A few posts have had to go, Please stick to Model Output Discussion only in here.

Please continue, Thanks.

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

gens-21-1-192.png

The ecm at 192 hours is not far off that mean chart!!if the high was slightly further north that low out west would have probably disrupted!!expect more changes on the 12z!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
3 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

gens-21-1-192.png

The latest ECM Weekly thoughts for Weeks 50 to 52 appear to support the GEFS mean. The 2m temp anomaly shows the High likely to be where the GEFS suggests, feeding milder air onto the north Scandinavian coast and something cooler for NW Europe (although the really cold air staying over Russia/Siberia). Precipitation below average throughout for much of NW Europe.

2m Temp Anom:

12-18Dec ECM Week 50 12-18 Dec 2m Temp Anom.png 19-25Dec ECM Week 51 19-25 Dec 2m Temp Anom.png 26Dec- 01Jan ECM Week 52 26 Dec - 01 Jan 2m Temp Anom.png

Precip Anom:

12-18Dec ECM Week 50 12-18 Dec Precip Anom.png 19-25Dec ECM Week 51 19-25 Dec Precip Anom.png 26Dec- 01Jan ECM Week 52 26 Dec - 01 Jan Precip Anom.png

• Like 2

Posted
51 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

A chilly xmas eve on the 00z. Poor old Father Christmas expecting the usual mild UK mush for a liitle break after he crosses the Atlantic. :cold-emoji:And for those looking for cold to the east a significant amount of really frigid ensembles appearing for Warsaw. :santa-emoji:

gfs-0-264.png

gfs-1-264.png

gfs-9-264.png

gefstmp2mmaxWarsaw_Poland (5).png

Hi,

The last few pushes of cold haven't been modeled too well by the GFS so far out. What has happened is that the cold hasn't reached as far north and east, nor has it been modeled in the depth close to accurately. It is good for the general shape and trend, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that again further south and not as far east.

44 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

Just to add to your comment. In the north of central Europe and in eastern Europe there was only a little 'snap' of mild. Back to average or a touch colder at the surface now.

Quite true. 4 days or so of above average temperatures.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Take your pick. Assuming 144t is with-in the reliable time span, both GFS and ECM outwardly look similar in their ops . However, ECM is really more progressive to make in roads from the Atlantic. Looks like UKMO chart is more in line with GFS run this morning. The main thing to note is all models show a fall in heights in SW Europe and maintain a strong high pressure zone in Mid -Atlantic keeping the zonal flow out of reach of much of Europe. How the model evolve after that is the question and who is likely to produce the right synoptic for Christmas week ?

C

ecm500.144.png

h500slp.png

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

UKMO looks a marked improvement pro blocking close to the east compared to 12z run yesterday with more troughing/energy undercutting to the SW - similar to GFS and it looks better in this respect than EC at this timeframe

UKMOPEU00_144_1.png

Quite a few 00z GEFS members have high pressure centre over Scandi at day 8

ens_192.png

We are left with an underwhelming 00z EC det. - but is it dealing with the blocking right? It has been the most progressive / keen to blow way the blocking influence over the UK over recent days, despite strong support from GEFS for blocking holding sway, though we have seen the EPS grow support for the blocking over recent runs.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
3 minutes ago, jvenge said:

Hi,

The last few pushes of cold haven't been modeled too well by the GFS so far out. What has happened is that the cold hasn't reached as far north and east, nor has it been modeled in the depth close to accurately. It is good for the general shape and trend, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that again further south and not as far east.

Quite true. 4 days or so of above average temperatures.

You're right, I'm being optimistic. There has definitely been a trend re: the pulses of cold air. @daz_4 has highlighted this well in a couple of posts. I am heartened by a seasonal feel to the festive period though and also pleased by the increasing presence of lower pressure. Seasonal temperatures at or just below freezing are great but a little snow would be lovely.

PS I think you meant the cold isn't going as far west as predicted by the models, it has even shown as pushing into western Europe but then in reality has dived south into Greece and the Balkans for example.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
19 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Take your pick. Assuming 144t is with-in the reliable time span, both GFS and ECM outwardly look similar in their ops . However, ECM is really more progressive to make in roads from the Atlantic. Looks like UKMO chart is more in line with GFS run this morning. The main thing to note is all models show a fall in heights in SW Europe and maintain a strong high pressure zone in Mid -Atlantic keeping the zonal flow out of reach of much of Europe. How the model evolve after that is the question and who is likely to produce the right synoptic for Christmas week ?

C

ecm500.144.png

h500slp.png

For what is worth the latest UKMO N. Atlantic chart out to 168t shows support for the strength of the block , more in line with the GFS. At the same time ecmwf h res for the same time is much more progressive to make in roads. If I was to make a punt , I would not back the ECM recent outputs.

C

ukm2.2016122000.168.lant.troplant.prp.fcst.gentracker.png

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

gens-21-1-192.png

Yep this is interesting. That Scandi high is developing as early as T36 which fills me with more optimism. But it's not until c T162 that the reload occurs, aided by the low pressure system developing over Moldova. This helps the high retrogression and unlocks the easterly. Although this later sinks south it's at least something to hang our hopeful hats on.

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 08.07.03.png

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 08.07.43.png

Edited by West is Best
  • Like 3

Posted

And yet in he 5/8 day range, the ecm op is generally the better bet 

i imagine we could well be looking at a sinking block for a time and a more zonal period ( nw/se split) before it re amplifies from the west.  May only be a few days 

note on yesterday's 12z eps, there was a zero percentage chance of getting uppers below -10c into w Europe by end week 2 which makes the meandering cold pool option seem quite a punt.

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 2

Posted
27 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

You're right, I'm being optimistic. There has definitely been a trend re: the pulses of cold air. @daz_4 has highlighted this well in a couple of posts. I am heartened by a seasonal feel to the festive period though and also pleased by the increasing presence of lower pressure. Seasonal temperatures at or just below freezing are great but a little snow would be lovely.

PS I think you meant the cold isn't going as far west as predicted by the models, it has even shown as pushing into western Europe but then in reality has dived south into Greece and the Balkans for example.

Yes, that's what I meant. And it has been happening at the 5-6 day range.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Matt Hugo comments on the consistency of the GFS ENS and ECM:

Matt tweet 13Dec GEFS v Op.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, bluearmy said:

It's gonna be tough in here when e Europe is under a thick blanket of snow !!

Not sure if it will be. There isn't anything to indicate a warm Eastern Europe, for sure, but the precipitation forecasts are showing things to stay quite dry. It won't get above -3 here today, but there are only a few flakes blowing around.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
34 minutes ago, jvenge said:

Not sure if it will be. There isn't anything to indicate a warm Eastern Europe, for sure, but the precipitation forecasts are showing things to stay quite dry. It won't get above -3 here today, but there are only a few flakes blowing around.

True, no proper snow forecast, yet. Although Poland has already got sprinklings in December and a good dumping at the start of December that I posted about here. https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86370-weather-in-poland/?do=findComment&comment=3486892But with lower pressure starting to appear in the output I'm feeling more optimistic.

Edited by Seasonality

Posted
3 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

This was ECM ensemble mean 240 hrs ago for today.

EDM1-240.GIF?00

ECM1-0.GIF?13-12

Well, if it moves towards the GEFS again, we'd have to conclude the ECM ensembles are struggling a bit with the set-up. But we'll have to wait another 10 days to find out! I'd be very, very surprised to see the GEFS get a 1035mb mean high that wrong. Never seen it get those wrong before give or take a few hundred miles.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Looking through the ECM weekly charts one that caught my eye is for early Jan a noticeable area of below average temps over northern France, Belgium and into Holland

MonthlyAnomalies_T2m_20161212_w4.png

Any sort of SE'ly flow and the SE at least could turn rather chilly

Precipitation remains below average out until Jan 8th at least

• Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

ECM mean vs GEFS mean at T192. Big differences for the UK, potentially

EDM1-192.GIF?13-12  gens-21-1-192.png

that looks to me like a brilliant example of "tiny Island in the north Atlantic" syndrome. Globally speaking there really are pretty miniscule differences in those two charts but for us on the ground?!

• Like 3