Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
4 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

Here you go-

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?ech=204&code=0&mode=0&runpara=1&carte=1

It is within the menu of the OP run on there though

Thanks @bobbydog and @Ali1977. Got it.

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, MattHugo said:

Just further to a few tweets this morning I don't think we are any the wiser as to how things will pan out as we progress towards and beyond mid-month and towards the Christmas period. The 00Z EC ENS are appalling if you're looking for cold weather. A broad upper trough across the N Atlantic, as we have at present, generally higher heights to the SE most of the time and, overall, a predominantly S or SW'ly air flow over the UK. There is little or no evidence within the EC Clusters to support the height rises that the GFS ENS continues to promote so something has got to give here at some point. The 00Z Det (or HRES) was most certainly at the 'bottom end of the scale' when it comes to being a cyclonic evolution, but when you look at the clusters there really is some 'nasty' looking lows evident too. The clusters, to be honest, for the last week or more have been useless, they have frequently been like Det models in that each day comes and goes and each time the clusters constantly change with little way of picking out any trends. Sometimes the clusters have been broken down into 6 or even 7 'populations' each highlighting a different synoptic outcome, might as well toss a coin and operationally it has and continues to be a highly frustrating and difficult period for forecasting anything beyond 5 or 6 days. Obviously the 00Z EC ENS mean is freely available on the internet and that, overall, tells the story out to 240hrs at least.

I've used the phrase 'make or break' before and whilst each day comes and goes with a lot of uncertainty, there will come a point when the middle and latter half of the month will likely become more certain, whether that is towards a more blocked regime or whether we just end up with a particularly uninspiring evolution which supports average or slightly above average temperatures and generally far more wet and windy weather than was expected.

If someone put me on the spot I would say that the more blocked evolution is ever so slightly more likely than what the EC ENS generally continues to produce longer term, primarily due to some other variables at work (strat, MJO etc), but the very frustrating and uncertain medium and longer evolution isn't going to go away anytime soon I don't think and, from a 'coldies' point of view I wouldn't presume that northern blocking, ridging to the NW etc will come about as, overall, there just isn't enough evidence 'across the broader' to support that, but, as ever, especially given the time of year, fingers crossed for the seasonal Christmas most would want and hopefully no additional repeats of the current weather type as what we have at the moment sure brings back memories of 12 months ago.

Regards, Matt.

Thanks for the update Matt, although not the sort of update most of us in here want to see unfortunately.

Let's hope the ENS flip in our favour for once, although the form horse suggests otherwise.

Far too early to be calling December a bust cold/snow wise, but we need to start seeing a lot more crumbs than we are now to salvage anything from this month...a model break in order I think and let's see where we are this time next week. At the moment we are just going to get mixed output for mid-long range so pointless trying to interpret it.

Edited by Southender
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Southender said:

Thanks for the update Matt, although not the sort of update most of us in here want to see unfortunately.

Let's hope the ENS flip in our favour for once, although the form horse suggests otherwise.

I agree. Once the majority of the ecm ens flip from blocking to zonal, they hardly ever switch back unfortunately.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Southender said:

i think i must have read the wrong update,  i read it as clusters are mainly going for a zonal flow  however they are useless at this juncture  and Matt expects ever so slightly to favour a more blocked regime.  Still very much up in the air is how i  construed it.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
7 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

I agree. Once the majority of the ecm ens flip from blocking to zonal, they hardly ever switch back unfortunately.

Well I would say it's easy to take the negatives from what Matt has said, but I don't see it that way. I see it still as a very finely balanced setup, with blocking still a possibility as is zonal. Even Matt said that the clusters have been flipping from one run to the next for the past week. 

I hear what your saying that it's rare we flip from mild to cold, but I don't think we can say that from one run. Opportunities are still rife imho. 

Dare i say it..... more runs needed. 

EDIT: Indeed Matt updated as I typed lol. Still all to play for. 

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, weirpig said:

i think i must have read the wrong update,  i read it as clusters are mainly going for a zonal flow  however they are useless at this juncture  and Matt expects ever so slightly to favour a more blocked regime.  Still very much up in the air is how i  construed it.

Me too. I think people are automatically seeing the worst.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

Looks like cold run up to Christmas dry frosty .:D Also high moving out To the north west

IMG_1262.PNG

IMG_1263.PNG

IMG_1264.PNG

IMG_1265.PNG

IMG_1266.PNG

Edited by abbie123
  • Like 2

Posted

Solar flux and sunspot number on the way down again after that annoying surge that gave us our highest sunspot count since September.

• Like 7

Posted

Happy ending coming up on the 06z

gfs-0-324 (1).png

gfs-1-324.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Hardly perishing cold....

But another possible angle/ evolution' as the models toy with high cell placement. 

Also ignoring the exactions of 850's..to which if evolutionary take that path..thing could become vigorously more interesting in that department. ..

Certainly not writing off notable cold spell later this month. ....'just yet'!

gfs-1-240.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Still looking 'interesting' in the later stages, I think: I'll take a slightly displaced AHP over any sort of displaced Bartlett any time!:D

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

GEFS has been more keen and quicker to let the Pacific tropical forcing take over from that in the Indian Ocean/Indonesia so that seems a good explanation for them having a blocking signal.

EC ens must be really slow to change things or perhaps even have a standoff situation. The model has a known under-progressive bias in the Pacific sector so that might be important.

Its odd that the ECM set reflects more of a GEFS type tropical evolution, but perhaps the lower-mid stratospheric vortex disruption manages to influence the troposphere enough to produce such changes independent of the tropical forcing... though why the det would do this and not the ens. is beyond me as I thought the ens. had as many strat. levels as the det. - or so I have that wrong?

• Like 4

I understood that a Westerly QBO is more associated with  extremes of weather- extreme mild or extreme cold, than Easterly QBOs, which, however, tend to give colder weather when averaged. Think 1947, 1979, 1986, 2010.

And if the current, Westerly QBO is record- long, as it appears to be, and there continues to be a strat- trop disconnect, then past about a week, there's ample reason to treat the model output with caution. Were're in uncharted territory.

Edited by snowwman
  • Like 5