Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted

Not long till the EPS, I have a feeling all will be v good. Then we just need a pub run special please!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter
3 hours ago, frosty ground said:

You made a guess with no supportive evidence from any actual model and now your doing the same..... just think you need the correct thread to ha either your guesses aired

I think if you look back at mountain shadows posts it is far from guess work but his analysis of the output coupled with his knowledge of the AMM, MJO and Stratosphere state that are guiding his analysis. The 2 critical posts offer nothing. I'm sure most on here could predict cold and snow will occur at some point in January, it being a winter month.

Posted

Here we go again, the all too infamous day 10 type posts. Honestly, I think in the last 4-6 weeks on here, that is all I have read on here but each to their own I suppose if they want to get sucked into the details shown at 10 days time. :rolleyes:

The outlook is interesting though and fairly promising for cold lovers but remember when seeing charts about projected Greenland highs via Atlantic ridges. They will always show in the longer range without any trouble because its so far out and in the GFS case, will be run at a lower resolution but not only that, 9 times out of 10 you will get a shortwave popping up in the medium term so in turn we get what we are going to get for new years day which is a Northerly toppler which just about lasts a day. 

Alot of uncertainty what will happen after this Northerly toppler apart from the fact it should turn less cold from the NW. Do hope we will see some retrogression but I just can't get carried away by an ECM run showing a smooth progression of heights to Greenland as its too far out to nail down any details and the fact the ECM is known to over-amplify at times.

Although i do class this upcoming as a Northerly toppler, it is quite a cold Northerly and  snow looks rather limited to Northern Scotland and perhaps down the east coast also but its the windchill that will be the main story as we head into 2017.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)
10 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Not long till the EPS, I have a feeling all will be v good. Then we just need a pub run special please!!

Where can i look at the eps? what site?

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, supernova said:

It cannot be coincidence that charts like the ECM240 are as rare as rocking horse poo....and the chances of it actually verifying are similarly unlikely. That said, it's a delight to have some colder weather incoming in the reliable, and the number of ensemble members tending colder still are increasing as an overall trend despite the usual scatter.

ECH1-240.jpg

Does seem unlikely with the strong vortex to the North, but GFS Para supports a shifting of the vortex to Siberia over the past 24 hours' available runs. This may be what ECM is in the process of doing in this chart.

Edited by snowwman
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Better than this morning

EDU1-216.GIF?28-0EDU0-216.GIF?28-0

EDU1-240.GIF?28-0EDU0-240.GIF?28-0

EDH1-216.GIF?28-0EDH1-240.GIF?28-0

Plenty of dry and cold weather to be had with the chance of some wintry showers in the east

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 1

Posted

Well the  ECM ensemble mean is similar but slightly better than this morning. You could not say it directly supports the op  with the mean ridge further E than the OP which must be one of the most favourable outcomes.

EDH1-240.gif

EDH0-240.gif

As expected a lot of variance round the S tip of Greenland

EEH1-240.gif

One of the colder options at D10 at De Bilt but not the coldest by any means - so probably still all to play  with the OP being a possible if less likely outcome.

ensemble-verwachtingen-detail10.png

Edited by swilliam
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

Still think it won't be until we get our first northerly shot this weekend before we know where we go afterwards... ecm op looked to me to be on it's own tonight.graphe_ens3.png

Both warmest after initial cold spell this weekend then the coldest after the 6th... however in line with the gefs for a cold shot this weekend followed by slightly less cold till the 6th/7th then another cold shot.

Question is will the second shot deliver the goods???

Edited by doctor32
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, doctor32 said:

Still think it won't be until we get our first northerly shot this weekend before we know where we go afterwards... ecm op looked to me to be on it's own tonight.graphe_ens3.png

True... worth noting, the EC Control sends the UK into freezer into days 10-15; ens mean also promoting a cold signal beyond day 10.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
19 minutes ago, Dominic Carey said:

I have a feeling it will be a kaboom run just based on all the factors there were heading into this winter. How long do people think it be until warnings get issued?

When it gets to t24 when it comes to cold severe weather!

• Like 1

Posted

As ever sticking to the reliable.. roughly 144 hrs, the models all in strong agreement, current high will shift southwards with a milder interlude from the north for 30-31, then a cold front moving down on New Years day with heights building and ridging north through the atlantic, resulting in a cold northerly, but a toppler, with heights then collapsing somewhat behind, but maintaining central core over mid atlantic. So a very changeable period ahead with threat of some snow showers in Scotland and exposed NE coastal parts to greet the new year.

Where do we go after? Both GFS and ECM suggest a WNW flow for the first few days of 2017 bringing generally dry average conditions with a bit of rain in NW parts, and a fair amount of cloud. Not particularly inspiring, but could be far worse.

Keeping an eye on the jetstream profile, indications it will maintain a split flow, with energy possibly transferring more into the southern arm, this combined with PV projected to shift more towards Siberia and a second lobe kept far from Greenland, would lay the foundations for the mid atlantic high to ridge into Greenland proper. So all eyes on jetstream and developments over NE USA seaboard in the days ahead, for those seeking a colder outlook with high lattitude blocking you need energy to transfer into the southern arm of the jet - an equal distribution as we will have in the opening days will maintain the status quo of mid atlantic heights and only fleeting northerly incursions I would imagine. 

• Like 3