IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
7 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

KABOOM

IMG_1191.PNG

Perfect wedge splitting the jet - note the 2 lows - just like 2010- 1 low either side of the GH ( NW side & SW side )

Can you clarify what we are looking for , to happen ?

I have circled the two lows I assume you refer to.

wedge_Ink_LI.jpg

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Going back to T120, look at the heights W, NW and far West. Maybe this blocking scenario could come off!

ECH1-120.GIF?28-0

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Omega, Omega wherefore art thou Qmega?

ECMOPEU12_240_1.png

Steve M - energy going under to create a cut off High? :):cold:

• Like 3

Posted

Beautiful but once again, it's at day 10.... Once bitten, twice shy. You just know as it gets towards a reliable a laminate floor little shortwave will pop up and ruin it, there is a reason why cut off GH are so rare.

• Like 6

Posted

Shame we don't get GLOSEA info anymore - BBC long range would start picking this up soon though if correct

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Maybe its my age but that ecm run looks to smooth to me from start to finish.such a void within the other models id be very wary indeed .hope im wrong and just for once things fall for the uk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I would love to think that T+96 is just a dress rehearsal for T+240 on the Ecm 12z because day 10 is a peach for coldies and there would be snow around too.:)

96_mslp850.png

96_mslp850uk.png

240_mslp850.png

240_mslp850uk.png

240_thickuk.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Stunning ecm 12z..

Will new support though!!??

And yes if verify. .its a stern northeast/easterly soon to follow. .and mass opportunity for mass impactual convection. ..ie..snow showers..probably merging to spells of snow. ..However. .lets see support! !!

Posted
1 minute ago, swfc said:

Maybe its my age but that ecm run looks to smooth to me from start to finish.such a void within the other models id be very wary indeed .hope im wrong and just for once things fall for the uk

I hate these perfect +192h charts, you know they will never verify. I'd rather have flawed because change which is certain to occur could improve but from perfection there is no upgrade only downgrade 

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Gibby said:

Now even I'm getting more interested. This chart is much more what I've been looking for even better as it comes from my preferred model. Note the undercut out of the states can only go under the High because of its blocking attributes further North than recently. Further out charts would probably show a Southerly positioned Jet flow across the Atlantic towards Iberia which could feed a battleground scenario from the SW longer term. A long way out but this chart offers a real chance of a substantial cold outbreak from that setup. Let's hope the ensembles later show a shift towards a similar evolution and this better orientation and position of the High pressure is maintained over up and coming runs.

http://old.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm2401.gif

If the ecm ensembles fall through the floor tonight then it may just be game on.

• Like 2

Posted

would love to see some consistency from the ops late on in their runs but I guess that's why they are ops. If the eps revert to yesterday's 12z offering then we have bi polar eps aswell! At least the last two GEFS have churned out cold means post day 8 but they haven't been the same amplification so more inconsistency ! 

At least we can say is that we are getting fi ECM ops that are not out of sync with previous eps output. And we are still seeing op upgrades so we are still some time away from throwing in any towels. A less than exciting eps suite in an hour may well dumb down the atmosphere in here! 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!!
6 minutes ago, West is Best said:

Well well well this is very interesting. Wow, this fills me with hope. The op is way to the milder side with some significantly cold perturbations:

Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 19.16.51.png

Even the mean stays below -5 for a good while. Things are looking up. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

A lot will depend on the behaviour of the Azores low and how it interacts with the upsteam pattern. If it goes North and phases with the trough digging South it will be difficult to maintain decent amplification. If it stays trapped to the South and is forced West and merges with upsteam Atlantic trough later it would be better.

JN192-21.GIF?28-12

ECM is on a knife edge at 168 but manages to split the energy so that most goes West and just a little phases with the trough before the door is closed.

ECH1-168.GIF?28-0ECH1-192.GIF?28-0

There are an infinite number of possibilities here, not to mention the complexity of the pattern before this, so I'm not expecting tow day 8 op charts to look the same at the moment let alone expecting anything later to verify.

It is edge of seat viewing for weather geeks, I just hope we end up with something like ECM, I feel we deserve some decent winter weather after the endless drudge we have had to endure over the last few Winters and so far this year.

Hoping ECM ensembles back the Op but one of the biggest surprises and oddities is the small amount of scatter from day 10 in GFS ensembles, especially when there is plenty from day 6 to 10!

graphe3_1000_264_109___.gifgraphe6_1000_264_109___.gif

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy Winters, Hot and Sunny Summers - Never Mild!

Wait, where have I seen that familiar 12z ECM t240 chart...?

ECH1-240_jkz9.GIF

Oh yeah! Here...

gensnh-0-1-240_alo1.png

I'm sorry I had to! :laugh:

All for fun peeps! :)

~mpkio2~

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
6 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

would love to see some consistency from the ops late on in their runs but I guess that's why they are ops. If the eps revert to yesterday's 12z offering then we have bi polar eps aswell! At least the last two GEFS have churned out cold means post day 8 but they haven't been the same amplification so more inconsistency ! 

At least we can say is that we are getting fi ECM ops that are not out of sync with previous eps output. And we are still seeing op upgrades so we are still some time away from throwing in any towels. A less than exciting eps suite in an hour may well dumb down the atmosphere in here! 

I wouldn't worry about the ops in FI, unless early on in the run they are totally without support, I would happily take the GEFS or the EPS from the other day, like you say though, we need a bit more agreement between the suites as to the details of any blocked cold patterns, I'm not overly bothered if the ops are all outliers offering different solutions late on in the run as long as ens are rock solid.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Well I gotta say it's about time an Ecm day 10 chart comes true, so many false dawns leading coldies up and down the garden path..just verify already dammit!:D:cold-emoji:

ecmt850.240.png

npsh500.240.png

• Like 9

Posted
25 minutes ago, West is Best said:

Well well well this is very interesting. Wow, this fills me with hope. The op is way to the milder side with some significantly cold perturbations:

Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 19.16.51.png

As BA mentions above, the ECM D10 has ensemble support of a kind, and has had more than a little ensemble support from the ECM D11-D15 ens in recent days (slightly less this morning). So it is a very viable option. 

But with GFS/UKMO ops not quite there, still a little way to go on this conundrum

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

Wonderful +216 and +240 ECM respectively.

ECH1-216.GIF?28-0ECH1-240.GIF?28-0

Can't say I'm convinced just yet though, model watching recently has felt like reading tarot cards...Can only comment on what the charts show, mind, and this is a textbook 2 pronged attack on the Trop PV, wonderful if it comes off :)

• Like 1