Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
Just now, Grimsby Snow Lover said:

Second bite of the cherry coming up!

image.png

I feel there will be many bites of the cherry in January if pressure remains near or West of the UK.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Yes another one coming up, If the amount of cold and snow ive seen on NWP runs over the last 7 years or so had become reality, then by god I would have seen some snow!!!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Yup, looking rather juicy at day 10, the cold air is digging in right down to the South coast, undercut?!:cold: 

ECM1-240-1.GIF

ECM0-240.GIF

• Like 6

Posted

Personally speaking T144 is FI there is a definite quite convincing snow signal across all the models. Looking at ECMWF 12z many places could at least see some transient snowfall.

image.pngimage.png

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Good old NAVGEM gives us a Northeasterly.

Still lots of interest on todays 12z runs then.

navgem-0-138.png

• Like 4

Posted
24 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

Wrong thread Feb.... moaning thread is the one you want 

Nope - its model related, a criticism of the models and more importantly people who delude themselves by thinking they will verify.

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

As long as we keep seeing bouts of amplification upstream (aided partially by huge Pacific ridge), we have a decent enough chance of getting enough ridging towards Greenland 

ECH1-240.GIF?27-0

I have the distinct feeling it's a matter of when rather than if.

ECM1-240-1.GIF

ECM0-240.GIF

Its going to take some serious wave breaking to stabalise the pattern enough for any high to stay in situ long enough, huge odds against.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything other than drizzle

Over the past few weeks a lot of end of year winter tension has been building and a few silly comments made - just think if everyone put a pound in for all the naughty words said at the models and too each other we could have all gone to Lapland and built snowmen together with good cheer.....anyway that's not the case.

The models are very turbulent at the moment, the ECM looks like the form horse to me. I think all models have been hinting at seeing colder conditions coming in and normally cold air is tough to budge and this is where we are likely to mild air and cold air battling with snow events taking place I for one love what each run can bring so lets all just chill (pun intended) wait for the fun to begin!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Posts hidden, Please continue discussion on what the Models are showing, Thanks.

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

When background signals are favourable, there's no guarantee of cold, particularly early in winter because even if good synoptics occur, there may not be any cold pooling, but when everythings against, you cant rule out brief transient snow events, topplers, PM incursions etc but blocking is extremely unlikely.

Blocking was there back end of Nov and into this month mate and look what happened then. Call me old fashioned and I've harped on about this for years (Never mind what goes on in the strat ect ect ect. If you see a cold period of weather approaching grasp it and it may grow into something special) Once cold weather is established on our shores the output is a day by day game imo ups and downs for sure but at least we have a ticket and that ticket seems only a few hundred miles away at this point so not that far off and plenty to be positive.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
2 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

There were lots of GEFS members showing uppers very cold for days a few runs ago, they are fast disappearing and with the Met Office outlook not suggesting much PPN after some very insignificant back edge snow on the weekend, it looks like another garden path job again, mind you the background signals never really suggested HLB in the first place. Well at least we can look forward to some frosty clear days and interesting weather  .:closedeyes:zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I'm shocked that you can call the future with any confidence given the variance in the model output especially after t120. We have a cold snap to look forward to to begin the new year and after that, who knows? All we can do is comment on the potential, whichever way it may lean.

As it happens, the potential is for the cold to stay for a while longer with the prospect of reloads from the north or even north-east if you believe some models this evening. What isn't wise is to dismiss the prospects entirely based on unreliable long-term forecasts and the odd dodgy run. The GFS 12z ensembles show a noticeable upgrade compared to the 6z. Am I calling a snowy month based on that alone? Of course not!

There are plenty of people who read this thread as an education (myself included) and posts like the one quoted are extremely misleading. Is it that hard to view the models with a modicum of impartiality? 

edit: I recognise posts in a similar vein to mine have been removed. I understand and respect if mine goes the same route but I feel it is an important message to get across :)

Edited by mhielte
a plea to the Gods
  • Like 8

Posted

Day 9 ecm op anomoly pretty good agreement with the ens mean anomolies / therefore it is a run which should be given plenty of respect days 7/10. Now to the potential problem for coldies. I mentioned the potential for the hang back of high heights into Europe from the Atlantic ridging this morning and at day 10, when the ens anomoly says the hang back should be almost gone, the new op maintains it down into se Europe 

those bloody euro heights could well derail the first half of January, just as they did the first half of December re advecting deep cold across the UK. (For more than a day or so).

the eps can sing all they like about cold patterns post day 10 but when the op gets hold of the same solution, it generally gives you a good indication of where the ens are probably incorrect 

• Like 5

Posted

"INTERESTING" is the one word that does sum up the models of late. Certainly not boring, at least from the point of view of those interested in the technical side of weather prediction. There is a lot that can change, and within a surprisingly narrow time-frame.

Edited by PersianPaladin
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE
48 minutes ago, snowray said:

Good old NAVGEM gives us a Northeasterly.

Still lots of interest on todays 12z runs then.

navgem-0-138.png

00z ec 12 members had it the same as NAVGEM the placement of the high has a number of variables:)

• Like 3