Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted

Better amplification out west on the 12z (78hrs) compared to the like for like from the 6z (84hrs) 130mb as opposed to 125 and its further up into Greenland slightly. Doesn't mean it won't topple over us later on, but should be slightly stronger.

• Like 1

Posted

It's the mobility from the west that ms important rather than just the amplification achieved

imo, the sharper  the Pacific ridge into the pole the slower the speed of the troughing upstream. the shallower Pacific ridges tend to drive a chunk of vortex around them into n America which is obviously bad for us on two levels 

• Like 1

Posted

Some interest changes on the gfs out to 96z the meto 96z is good and interesting as well. 

Its difficult to get the head around some of these and the implication but I am struggling to believe the models for our bit of the world from t144 Onwards 

• Like 4

Posted

GFS out to 120 has better amplification and more west/north than the 6z. Happy with that. That's all I want to see so far. Everything after that is so open to change and conjecture it's not worth studying too much!

• Like 6

Posted

Back edge snow for most parts (except for the far south) on New Years Day shown on the GFS. Something to keep an eye on....

IMG_1045.PNG

IMG_1046.PNG

Edited by Kieran
  • Like 2

Posted

The evolution on the 12Z GFS within the reliable time-frame is the same as the 06Z, only difference being a slight timing difference. 

UKMO is further West than the GFS at T120. So still possible we could see some "upgrades" with this initial cold shot.

• Like 4

Posted
10 minutes ago, Rocheydub said:

GFS out to 120 has better amplification and more west/north than the 6z. Happy with that. That's all I want to see so far. Everything after that is so open to change and conjecture it's not worth studying too much!

Yup...the words  dogs' + dinner came to mind.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted

Meto and gfs have very different set ups and consequences for us at t144 hence the very low confidence. Meto I think is very good at t144. Very good indeed with a push down of energy from the north. 

Low pressure systems to the west and north of the high are both different on the meto. 

IMG_0649.PNG

IMG_0650.GIF

Edited by Iceberg
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
Just now, Iceberg said:

Meto and gfs have very different set ups and consequences for us at t144 hence the very low confidence. Meto I think is very good at t144. Very good indeed with a push down of energy from the north. 

Low pressure systems to the east and north are both different on the meto. 

IMG_0649.PNG

IMG_0650.GIF

Indeed UKMO is looking to go for another shot.

Posted
7 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

Low pressure systems to the west and north of the high are both different on the meto. 

IMG_0649.PNG

IMG_0650.GIF

I also think the 144 for Met o is good , could get all that cold air across us in a 168 chart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Quite' nice placement of deep cell hp (west)..

This being good in terms going forward for retrogression nw-Greenland. .thus forward march of notable cold incur/prolongement. 

Also again of note is establishment of large lobe vortex to eastern migration! !!..

Things looking v-favorable for decen cold as alignment start to resolve! !

gfsnh-0-162.png

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, booferking said:

Will be interesting to see what the ECM thinks later.

The UKMO is intriguing looks like it might retrogress on t168 and open the gates to the north again. However I've never seen it be a lone wolf at that range and get it right. Of course we await EC.

• Like 3

Posted
28 minutes ago, Kieran said:

Back edge snow for most parts (except for the far south) on New Years Day shown on the GFS. Something to keep an eye on....

IMG_1045.PNG

IMG_1046.PNG

You might well be right it's only a rain maker over the extreme south given the synoptics, it appears to lack the cold strength behind it to reinforce it.

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
4 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Well lets hope ecm is better because gfs is pretty appalling for cold fans, shortwaves everywhere ruining any hope of long lasting cold..

That's not the language I would have used, Id have associated that with the 14c and winds we had on Xmas day

what you mean is it could be better but chilly / dry weather is ok

• Like 4

Posted
19 minutes ago, Iceberg said:

IMG_0649.PNG

IMG_0650.GIF

You right Northern surges do not really hold much by the time they reach the south coast. Again this one lacks presence it needs more oomph behind it which right now it lacks.

Posted

I've been taking a keener interest in the model thread today ever since snow started to appear in the Mets forecasts for New years eve/day. Aviemore, Braemar and my own location, to name a few, are in the firing line........at this time.

Edited by Norrona2015
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Short-waving' in such hp west based dominate will come down to +24/36 hr windows. .

Again. .it expansion/placement that stand out..bigger picture and suite compare...not micro scale prognosis. .

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

Short-waving' in such hp west based dominate will come down to +24/36 hr windows. .

Again. .it expansion/placement that stand out..bigger picture and suite compare...not micro scale prognosis. .

I agree , up to 120 /144 is where we look, just for amusement and perhaps possible trends thereafter

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

let's hope ECM backs UKMO rather than GFS which is pretty much a worse case scenario for snow chances through 1st week of January from where we are.

If we can just back the pattern West a few hundred miles it will make all the difference in lowering pressure to our S/SE, raising pressure to our NW and of course opening the gate to an Arctic flow which even with toppler scenarios would give much better depth of cold and snow chances between ridges and better Easterly chances further down the line.

UN144-21.GIFgfsnh-0-144.png?12

It is on a knife edge between a standard cold/frosty spell with short milder interludes and a prolonged cold spell with better snow chances IMO.

• Like 6