Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted
1 minute ago, Allseasons-si said:

That is a stonking chart at 288hrs,OMFG:shok:,split flow incoming on this run

gfsnh-0-288.png

This is quite an extreme set up compared to the last few weeks, I wonder (and hope) this could actually happen even earlier than New Year's Day, lets see what the ENS say. Could be gone tomorrow but that was prob the best run of the winter so far.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

And lots of the white stuff evenly spread out for everyone to enjoy.:bomb:

gfseu-2-276.png

gfseu-2-288.png

gfseu-2-300.png

gfseu-2-336.png

Posted

ECM and GFS both showing a trend for the upcoming ridge set to develop over the UK early next week, to advect westwards and not sink southwards into europe, end result a possible northerly for the New Year - but all conjecture at this range. However, its an emerging theme and I think there is mileage in it, the atlantic pattern is an amplified one, look at how quickly the ridge is set to build northwards come Boxing Day with consequent deep long wave trough anchoring down into scandi, crucially this will allow low heights to develop over SE europe, which will prevent the ridge from sinking SE quickly, hence a meridional pattern is likely to develop, the ridge is forecast to be a strong high pressure 245mb.

Lets see what tomorrow brings, but if the models hold onto this theme then quite likely a colder pattern could emerge come new year. In the meantime, a stormy 3 days ahead, very mild in the south, cooler at times in the north, before what looks a chilly settled period inbetween christmas and new year, with frost and fog becoming widespread, so feeling a bit more seasonal, and thankfully perhaps some decent weather for getting out and about.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!
2 minutes ago, SN0WM4N said:

The funny thing is that the -8 gets only as far south as Manchester. You really couldn't make up us southerners luck when it comes to getting cold. 

Not to worry as the detail is irrelevant this far out, the trend is our friend though.  Just the teeniest tweak and we're all in the game

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

npsh500.pngh500slp.png

Is nice. :cold:

(Yes, I'm back after my rage-induced hibernation from model watching - finally some tangible interest in the medium rather than long term!)

• Like 5

Posted

Theres a lot of ramping going on tonight with these charts and models haven't we been led up this path already this winter.i think this will alter in the next two days I hope I am wrong about these excellent charts tonight  

Bigdog 1

• Like 1

Posted

Finally some outputs to give some hope to coldies. The possible salvation is delivered by first that amplifying US troughing and then the main PV lobe moving from its recent home over  Greenland towards Hudson Bay. This opens up a window of opportunity which I really hope can deliver something of interest. Indeed the first of those changes isn't deep in the depths of FI but starts at around T144hrs, I think there's less of an issue with that verifying. The PV relocation that far to the nw  however I'd be a bit more cautious with given the models habit of overplaying this at longer range.

Anyway at least something to get this thread buzzing and a chance that we could see the New Year start on a more promising note.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 3

Posted

Great to see some interest again tonight after we were told that there could be nothing on offer until at least mid January. It may well be watered down if it happens at all but good to have 3 models singing from similar carol sheets. I think the GFS has some good form at picking out northerlies in the c 8/9 day range...?

Posted
1 minute ago, bigdog1 said:

Theres a lot of ramping going on tonight with these charts and models haven't we been led up this path already this winter.i think this will alter in the next two days I hope I am wrong about these excellent charts tonight  

Bigdog 1

Yes but the models weren't singing off the same hymn sheet earlier this month but now we are seeing some cross model agreement. It's all about the trend and the building blocks which we are starting to see firm up. Yes it can still change drastically but we shall see.

• Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, bigdog1 said:

Bigdog 1

I'm 100% certain we have not had the opportunity to be lead up a path so far this winter to be honest...

Edited by The Eagle
  • Like 6

Posted

At 192 GEFS give some support. Control run has similarities with opp which is of particular interest at that range as when opp and control go together in the mid range its not the worst position to be in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Nice to see the eye candy on the extended part of GFS 18z and at 240 it is supported to an extent by ECM, but as most will understand we need to gather some momentum with these very very early signs of interest regarding some colder weather. 

No garden paths even evident yet, we are not even at the gate lol!!

will await the mornings runs with interest but not expectation.

• Like 6

Posted
13 minutes ago, Banbury said:

Lets wait and see where it sits in the ENS

There have been members similar to this op on previous few suites 

it's not a huge surprise to see it. 

Seems a bit quick compared to ECM and gem - ironic that we manage to see it become west based  -NAO so quickly! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

I like it when things develop a bit quick though, very positive that the control is on board, as I was saying the other day the 18z has been known to spot new trends in the past on occasions. And this is not out at day 10+ for a change too.

Posted

:cold:

gens-0-0-288.png

gens-0-1-288.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
11 minutes ago, Jason M said:

Much prefer the control run as more of a continental air mass = much colder!!

One word!,Whooaaah!!!

gens-0-1-300.pnggens-0-0-300.png

can we get these charts wrapped up for Christmas please with a gold ribbon:D

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 7

Posted
6 minutes ago, fergieweather said:

Yes, consistent broad ideas into early Jan but no useful signal into extended range. MJO remains at very low orbit next 20 days, lending credence to ongoing UKMO view that it remains of no real predictive value into the forseeable for the UK.

So with enso fairly neutral and the MJO in the COD, we should probably be at the mercy of the propagating strengthening strat zonal flow in conjunction with the west QBO.  That means charts like we are seeing on the 12z and 18z are unlikely.  

will be interesting to see if the 00z output is in the same ball park.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Well this evenings runs have certainly been more encouraging. Let's hope we can carry that through tomorrow and get some consistency.

Certainly ECM ensembles looking better than they have in a long while but a way to go yet.

ensemble-tt6-london.gif

• Like 1