Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
11 minutes ago, Snow Grain said:

January is shaping up to start off unsettled with wet and windy weather.  It will turn colder, initially from the northwest, then from the east, which will bring severe frosts and snow.  The snow will effect eastern counties at first.  Areas of snow will spread in from the southwest at times.

Which model is showing that?.I'm intrigued:reindeer-emoji:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Close but we need to see the high to the east extend a ridge west over the top of the shortwave. The next low upstream is going to deepen now and rush east so the ridge needs to get west to force that more se or at least help disrupt some energy.

Right Nick, but lets be happy with what we see at 144t . Much improved from todays earlier runs.

C

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Even out to t186 the ECM 0z and GFS 18z ain't a million miles apart.....

ECH1-192.GIF?15-0  gfsnh-0-186.png?18

Just the GFS doing it's usual and blowing up the lows to our NW. 

Posted

Right, EC46 time ... Yes I know, I was rather critical of it last night but I really want to look at it closely over a period of time - if there's one or two of you also curious then I hope it's of benefit to you too.

The general picture - I'm guessing each week chart refers to a week beginning on a Monday - so for next week, yes, confirmation that the block is predicted to be some way further east than the last EC46 suggested - quite an unusual difference for the shorter timeframe to make

ec-ens_nat_taem_gh500_anom_2016121500_02

But after that it's another case of "the block fights back". Anomaly strength drops out over time, and it must be emphasised nothing extreme, but that old tendency to push height anomalies back north over the course of the week 3-6 period. Nowhere near enough to gang a cold forecast on. But enough to conclude the EC46 does not see a continual cycle of zonality for weeks on end, and drier than usual weather remains the theme.

Let's revisit in a week or so and see if it's still barking up the same tree. At this stage though, I would put a major health warning on later stages against unrealistically high hopes of seeing a high pressure in exactly where the anomalies appear :)

ec-ens_nat_taem_gh500_anom_2016121500_04

ec-ens_nat_taem_gh500_anom_2016121500_06

ec-ens_nat_taem_gh500_anom_2016121500_09

• Like 2

Posted

I don't think the high is going to last, the signal is pretty strong to move that east but it could still help initially by helping to divert the jet more se. You can see here how that earlier timeframe upto T120hrs is crucial because you need some of the energy from that troughing heading se and not more east in the GFS 12hrs run. As soon as you see that shortwave developing at the base of the trough this shows the real struggle initially by the PV to blast the block away.

We have been here before with the GFS 18hrs run and the momentum imploded in the morning but its view is not really that far fetched, however tomorrow we need a westwards correction and the block a bit further north. It would be great if something would go right for a change!

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Even out to t186 the ECM 0z and GFS 18z ain't a million miles apart.....

ECH1-192.GIF?15-0  gfsnh-0-186.png?18

Just the GFS doing it's usual and blowing up the lows to our NW. 

Clearly gfs has backtracked from its earlier horror shows, kind of beautifully highlights the volaitilty at present..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Right, EC46 time ... Yes I know, I was rather critical of it last night but I really want to look at it closely over a period of time - if there's one or two of you also curious then I hope it's of benefit to you too.

The general picture - I'm guessing each week chart refers to a week beginning on a Monday - so for next week, yes, confirmation that the block is predicted to be some way further east than the last EC46 suggested - quite an unusual difference for the shorter timeframe to make

ec-ens_nat_taem_gh500_anom_2016121500_02

But after that it's another case of "the block fights back". Anomaly strength drops out over time, and it must be emphasised nothing extreme, but that old tendency to push height anomalies back north over the course of the week 3-6 period. Nowhere near enough to gang a cold forecast on. But enough to conclude the EC46 does not see a continual cycle of zonality for weeks on end, and drier than usual weather remains the theme.

Let's revisit in a week or so and see if it's still barking up the same tree. At this stage though, I would put a major health warning on later stages against unrealistically high hopes of seeing a high pressure in exactly where the anomalies appear :)

ec-ens_nat_taem_gh500_anom_2016121500_04

ec-ens_nat_taem_gh500_anom_2016121500_06

ec-ens_nat_taem_gh500_anom_2016121500_09

Have you got week 4 please?

Week 5 tasty, yes I know it wouldn't translate to anything special as a mean but at that range, a low anom to S and high to NW.....

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted

Some of us would see some white stuff later next week according to the Gfs 18z:santa-emoji:

hgt500-1000.png

ukmaxtemp.png

prectypeuktopo.png

ukmintemp.png

prectypeuktopo (1).png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

Very different day 7 from GFS 18z to 12z. The trough disrupting over the UK and heights much lower over France and Germany in particular. Some snow to even Southern areas next Thursday.  

Models probably struggling with handling the energy up against the block. If we see more energy going south east than has been modelled though, 18z very plausible as Nick says. 

IMG_3284.PNG

IMG_3285.PNG

Also, completely seperate point but it was a colder ECM run tonight too than it probably looked, with some snow next Thursday on the ECM for some central areas of UK too.

Edited by bradythemole
  • Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Have you got week 4 please?

Week 5 tasty, yes I know it wouldn't translate to anything special as a mean but at that range, a low anom to S and high to NW.....

Here. I couldn't show it earlier because of the watershed ;)

ec-ens_nat_taem_gh500_anom_2016121500_07

Please don't get too excited though because I've seen a few charts at this range where the colours completely swap by week 1!!!

• Like 3

Posted
9 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Some of us would see some white stuff later next week according to the Gfs 18z:santa-emoji:

hgt500-1000.png

ukmaxtemp.png

prectypeuktopo.png

ukmintemp.png

prectypeuktopo (1).png

Well I'm blowed. the ensembles have been doing this for days and the op wasn't interested. Now the ens have dropped it, the op picks it up!

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Here. I couldn't show it earlier because of the watershed ;)

ec-ens_nat_taem_gh500_anom_2016121500_07

Please don't get too excited though because I've seen a few charts at this range where the colours completely swap by week 1!!!

Be interesting to see strat charts, all this screams a just above mid latt high to me, cold but dry, we need any high higher latitude.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wild!

Starting to see the polar vortex wind up at the end of these GFS runs. Christmas eve looks stormy (still). To be honest,  would rather see cold zonality spill down from the NW as that gives us more chance of a NLy outbreak here in Scotland. Alot seems to be depending on that strength and placement of that Russian High,

November promising

December dampner

January might be the joker in the pack looking at the change to zonality.

• Like 2

Posted

Looking blocked again after christmas and increasingly cold!:cold-emoji:

h500slp.png

h500slp (1).png

ukmintemp.png

ukmaxtemp.png

18_384_2mtmp.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
9 minutes ago, Dennis said:

OK GFS18 end of dec 

65.png

565.png

Now THAT has my attention!! The march west!! Nice!

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
9 minutes ago, Dennis said:

OK GFS18 end of dec 

65.png

565.png

Can you explain a bit more than just putting charts up please, tell us what you see etc would be good, 

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, Boro Snow said:

Can you explain a bit more than just putting charts up please, tell us what you see etc would be good, 

They are surface temps mate, pretty brutal across much of Europe and cold for the UK.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Boro Snow said:

You see the 2m low temp expectations and you see the jetstream position 

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

I likened the 12z EC det to Joe Barstardi's recent bath-tub theory in action, with cold upper air / low heights in Siberia to start the cold season sloshing into N America then sloshing over to the far N Atlantic toward NW Europe, albeit with the usual maritime modification.

18z GFS op initially starts the cold slosh toward the NW Europe before sloshing back to Greenland and N Canada as ridging rebuilds over Northern Europe. 

Waxing and waning of the GFS/GEFS Northern European +height anomaly in the medium-longer range really doesn't excite me or give me hope for snow in coming weeks I'm afraid, give me the EC bath tub slosh any day.

nice to see the hints of wintry precip even in the south next week on 18z though, but we have to look west for this cold and bear in mind that the models are often too cold from that direction at that range.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 5

Posted

Back to major confusion on the GEFS at short range. A staggering number of options at T132, mostly down to the behaviour of those low heights in Europe. The op run was very much middle of the road.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Nick F said:

I likened the 12z EC det to Joe Barstardi's recent bath-tub theory in action, with cold upper air / low heights in Siberia to start the cold season sloshing into N America then sloshing over to the far N Atlantic toward NW Europe, albeit with the usual maritime modification.

18z GFS op initially starts the slosh toward the N Atlantic before sloshing back to Greenland and N Canada as ridging rebuilds over Northern Europe. 

Waxing and waning of the GFS/GEFS Northern European +height anomaly in the medium-longer range really doesn't excite me or give me hope for snow in coming weeks I'm afraid, give the EC bath tub any day.

nice to see the hints of wintry precip even in the south next week on 18z though, but we have to look west for this cold and bear in mind that the models are often too cold from that direction at that range.

I would prefer the high to stay in situ - in E Europe and Russia - precursor to SSW.