Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
4 minutes ago, abbie123 said:

Ten days till Christmas gfs ecm gem all to to Progressive with blowing the block away to east changes to come next few days my gut feeling . Everyone has there own opinions.:D

Let's hope so, could do with some good fortune. Is it not also conceivable that we could end up with a mid Atlantic ridge come Xmas day ?image.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Shows how poor winter is when I'm happy to see a chilly westerly zonal flow. Yippee, Ecm 12z rocks!:D

It wouldn't be the only thing that rocks if that verified!!

ecm_mslp_uv850_natl_11.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
Just now, knocker said:

Indeed, batten down the hatches but still the experts not going with a full blown unsettled spell with continental heights still influencing the S / E.

• Like 2

Posted
16 minutes ago, knocker said:

Camborne would be a great place for a view of the stars if that happens ... because your roof won't be there any more!!

All the ops have a storm heading for some part of the UK next weekend - with heights to the east taking a vacation, I think we're stuck with this one

gfs-0-198.png?6   gem-0-216.png?12   J192-21.GIF?15-12   gfs-0-198.png?12

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
1 hour ago, Snow Grain said:

I must say I am pleased with my forecasting methods as I did forecast this warm December way back in November

Hats off to you in that case.:hi:

• Like 2

Posted

Looking at the longer range ECM ensembles well both the op and control run bring some snow to De Bilt on the 23/24 December. The temps in this set up suggest that for parts of the UK you could knock off a few degrees and De Bilt has maxes over there of around 5c for the 23/24/25.

http://www.weerplaza.nl/15daagseverwachting/?r=midden&type=eps_pluim

Although we're looking at similar patterns across all the major models  the uncertainty is really how much colder air can get into the mix, the ECM because of its better early trend has a much better chance of at least delivering some snow as the jet angle is more favourable.

Because we're not dealing with colder uppers any snow is more likely to be over higher ground but you couldn't rule out a surprise elsewhere. However at this range the exact trough set up and how far se this might get is likely to change and the GFS is much less interested and we have to factor that in.

So for the timebeing its best to not  raise expectations until the models converge on a solution and lets hope that its the colder one!

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, abbie123 said:

By looking at this its quite cool for Christmas and wetter this is for London.

IMG_0022.PNG

nothing cool on there, they are 850's, different if HP in charge possible inversion, but they scream mild and wet

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

nothing cool on there, they are 850's, different if HP in charge possible inversion, but they scream mild and wet

They scream average temps to me.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

ao.sprd2.gif

The members are scattered towards the end of the month

However, when you view only the next week or so, it looks like the AO is set to rise, one member almost reaching +6

Thereafter, all members show a sharp decline in AO

Im unsure what model(s) is used for this forecast, hopefully its on to something. 

ao.PNG

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow in winter Warm Sunny Summer
4 minutes ago, Zakos said:

ao.sprd2.gif

The members are scattered towards the end of the month

However, when you view only the next week or so, it looks like the AO is set to rise, one member almost reaching +6

Thereafter, all members show a sharp decline in AO

Im unsure what model(s) is used for this forecast, hopefully its on to something. 

ao.PNG

Thats quite a drop towards months end and quite unanimous small crumbs and all that. The Beeb just posted there flag to the mast caveats included but not looking too festive pictures of umbrellas folding inside out around the big day itself but hey there's still over a week to go plenty of time for changes I still feel the high out east will have more of a say.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild winters, wet & windy summers
3 hours ago, booferking said:

It would be good to hear your outlook for Jan saying that you got the month of Dec right? Thanks

January is shaping up to start off unsettled with wet and windy weather.  It will turn colder, initially from the northwest, then from the east, which will bring severe frosts and snow.  The snow will effect eastern counties at first.  Areas of snow will spread in from the southwest at times.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Heat, Thunderstorms

And so the drama is dragged out further, 18z 'revenge of the block'. The question is, is this an over-reaction to a slight change in jet angle, or the tomorrows trend?

Screen Shot 2016-12-15 at 22.21.29.png

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, carinthian said:

That's one hell of a battle developing next week. The block to the east resisting and signs of holding back or even distrupting the Atlantic front and sending some energy SE into Western Europe. All very interesting, any warm sector getting squeezed .

C

its nice to see it here

75.png

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, -uksnow- said:

And so the drama is dragged out further, 18z 'revenge of the block'. The question is, is this an over-reaction to a slight change in jet angle, or the tomorrows trend?

I think the METO would have mentioned it if this is how it will go - the Atlantic will win this one I'm afraid !! Might be a cooler fed Atlantic though, high ground in the Notth may do ok , and the Alps may start getting the white stuff for Xmas.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
1 minute ago, -uksnow- said:

Not far off an Easterly there?!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE
6 minutes ago, carinthian said:

That's one hell of a battle developing next week. The block to the east resisting and signs of holding back or even distrupting the Atlantic front and sending some energy SE into Western Europe. All very interesting, any warm sector getting squeezed .

C

The block gets removed then its back hanging on for dear life, hard to know how next week is going to pan out interesting model times ahead:)

Edited by snowice
  • Like 2

Posted

Close but we need to see the high to the east extend a ridge west over the top of the shortwave. The next low upstream is going to deepen now and rush east so the ridge needs to get west to force that more se or at least help disrupt some energy.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
2 minutes ago, carinthian said:

C

Plenty of cold uppers around the British Isles at 165t, but looking at developments this evening , all for the best, I think not to look much further than 144t as changes are taking place in this time span. Feel much better this evening that GFS are switching away from full throttle zonal in the reliable time span.

C

GFSOPEU18_165_2.png

• Like 3