Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, bluearmy said:

Poppycock refers to anyone saying they know for sure that zonality will set in for 4/6 weeks 

it might .......

With the trop vortex ramping up with the strat as well, you have to say without an SSW its extremely likely, and Interitus's posts in previous years have proved very accurate as to timing (or lack of) SSW's based on previous vortex strength analogues, he's the one I would most listen to, Fair enough I think you enjoy the learning process and not just cold and snow solely, but to others who may feel they have wasted their time / even ruined relationships come end Feb, don't say you weren't warned, I called this a few weeks ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Winter. Warm/Hot Dry Summer
4 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Anyone who says this, for me, must know the answer to this question then...

How long is a piece of a string? 

17cm

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
1 hour ago, nick sussex said:

Lmao! Longer range signals need to be consigned to the swear filter! The longer range models as we've seen from the weather delivered so far in December weren't up to much. It's clear so far that those longer range models have failed this winter. I'm done with them and will stick to finding signs of life within a more realistic timeframe.

We have seen quite a turn around in recent model runs haven't we Nick,most disappointing.I was hoping for at least a spell of surface cold and frosty days with the high holding on for a while for Christmas.

We have been here so many times though,once that Greenland vortex establishes the cold gets locked in further north and all the UK can hope for is transient incursions polar maritime air.

The current modeling has pretty much dropped any notable amplification upstream with any heights showing too far east in the medium term.

It is just a case of waiting for some thing to re-amplify the jet in order to release some of that locked up Arctic cold.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

The unsettled spell looks to be short lived wettest winder conditions look to be in the north dryer for southern England maybe a frosts . This may not happen but GFS looks interesting at 384 hours high pressure pushes over U.K. Again looks like it  could pull up to  Scandinavia maybe cold easterly as we go In to January .

IMG_0011.PNG

Edited by abbie123
  • Like 2

Posted

The ECM ensemble mean looks more like the GFS with the Russian high more in evidence. The ECM did depart from its morning effort quite early but whether this is the correct new trend we'll see tomorrow.

Theres still a large spread of solutions to the ne.

• Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

I'm glad you've said it Nick because I've really wanted to say it in the last two days! I made a really positive post just 48 hours ago based on the EC46, and my analysis was supported by comments of others at the time - a strong block somewhere around the Balkan sea for D7-D14 which regressed towards the UK with time. Now this. A few people explained the EC46 weekly mean masked the day to day variations but ... no - let's call a spade a spade, it's COMPLETELY DIFFERENT to the latest output. It was unusual to be wrong for week 2 - it normally gets that fairly close - but having looked at even more archives of its week 3 this week, I now conclude that anything beyond D14 on the EC46 is too unreliable, too often for it to be used to make a forecast for the UK.

The problem has been that some fantastic professional people have kindly taken the time to tell us what the LRFs are saying - but because these people are so respected, thet are seen as having a "magic key" to the weather - not their fault I add - and so what they have merely reported from the LRFs has been reinterpreted by too many as a final verdict on our future weather.

It's time for us to get real and go back to basics. No-one can forecast beyond D6 accurately. And no-one can forecast beyond D10 with a very high level of confidence, whether there's a QBO, AO, NAO, SSW, SSI, SOI, ENSO, MJO, GLAAM, GMO or whatever!!! It's fun to look for the trends. But please, no-one else tell me we're definitely going to have a blocked January. And likewise no-one tell me winter is over because the vortex is back!

I think the problem is that theres been an obvious disconnect between the seasonal models and what we've actually seen occur. It might be a winter which was much more sensitive to those unforeseen variables. You make a good point with too much stall being placed on LRF's and its not that people don't appreciate the hard work that goes into them. Of course without pushing the boundaries science doesn't move forward but I think we're in a situation where some areas are very hard to make progress in and I'd put weather in that category.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
20 minutes ago, Dennis said:

when russia awakes

78.png

Nice. Look at that brutal cold pushing west of the Urals. You can see the chill spilling over into central and eastern Europe too. Cool even into parts of the Mahgreb.

• Like 1

Posted

As I always do, sticking to the reliable, the models today have moved away from the ridge holding and exerting greater influence as we move into early next week, and instead we see the current status quo position with the atlantic trying to move in against the ridge, enough to maintain a generally damp overcast and fairly mild picture - which is a pity as I was hoping for a brighter cooler interlude with the return of frost, alas the outlook looks preety gloomy in terms of bright skies - Saturday holds a bit more promise, should be a dry bright cooler day.

Where do we go as we approach christmas, the trend appears to be towards the atlantic having a greater say in things, ECM output showing quite cool uppers invading northern parts in time for christmas, so a return to snow on higher ground in the north I suspect, if these charts verify.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
2 hours ago, gottolovethisweather said:

I haven't simply got the energy to even give you a short wave in response after tonight's outputs lacked potential but I agree with you about NOT looking past the reliable unless trend-spotting. I'll verify this post with the mods to see if it needs to go in the F.I'n bin next to the model fodder trough or whether it's a complete swear filter postingbefore saying that winter is over, even if it never began for coldies:oops::nonono::friends:

I know it is bad practice to requote one's posts too often as tedium will set in for all readers, but I simply had to share this fascinating news with you all. :gathering:

If you take the initial letters of my highlighted words above, whilst leaving FI aside (often best practice) you will find it spells out "ESP" v (for versus) "FW". So now, I've worked out precisely how the rest of December and the rest of winter is to pan out!

We, therefore, have two choices. Either we simply use our Extra-Sensory-Perception, or alternatively, stick with the guy whose forum name goes by the initials FW. :D :bomb:

I knew the answer to winter 2016/17 was somewhere to be found, after all. :snowman-emoji:

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
3 hours ago, Northwest NI said:

The only thing that seems to verify is that which we want least.

Often seems to go like that.

But while the 18z rolls out from the boozer, how about a look at these two charts then?:santa-emoji:

The old BOM needs to smell the coffee, or could it have spotted a new trend?

gfs-0-384-1.png

navgem-0-180.png

Edited by snowray
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
1 hour ago, Stuie W said:

Your last paragraph is completely spot on, glad you said that, I find it difficult to read this forum sometimes.

These Super computers will never be able to get it spot on.  Also,  forecasters are just that .  They try to interpret what the computer models are showing and then put it out there for the public to see .  None of the forecasters are to blame .  Its mother nature .   Maybe all of these expected predictions but then models changing on a daily basis  is more chaotic than ever. 

The patterns to sing over the years to show America getting more severe winters and Europe  getting milder winters . 

• Like 4