Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Not to get any hopes here but I think we're forgetting about the "marginal" snow event that could take place on the evening of New Years Day. As a matter of fact this event has been consistently modelled over the last few days so definitely something we should keep on eye on. However marginal events like these are extremely difficult to predict even 3 days away.

This event really depends on the timing, the sooner we can -5 850hpa temps the better, but then the closer we move towards night the colder the temps. Something to keep an eye on anyway.

The first set show the 850hpa temps and precipitation type on GFS 6z:

0101 850.png0101 Snow.png

This next set shows the 850hpa temps and precipitation type on GFS (P) 6z:

0101 850 parallel.png0101 Snow parallel.png0201 Snow Far South Parallel.png

3 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

While everyone is worrying about 10 days plus, at 120hrs, 18 out of 20 members of the GEFS are showing snow for some part of the UK and not just northern Scotland...

gens-12-2-120.pnggens-15-2-120.png

Interestingly, quite a few have snow for the southern coastal counties, even Cornwall. @knocker Sidney will be most displeased...

And as bobbydog has just indicated the GFS has support from GEFS members too.
What timing to post at the same time! aha

Edited by Ben Sainsbury
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

Is Ian Fergie about he posted a wintery update yesterday for January is it all change now going by some posts on here this morning we are entering a mobile pattern from the south west very confusing some times on here..:D

• Like 6

Posted

GFS 6z is bringing slightly above average temperatures to the UK after the brief cold short incoming. Different from the 0z, which was keeping things at or below average. I didn't manage to look at the ensembles yet to see how representative it is.

Edited by jvenge

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

Just a quick question. 

Why don't they run the GFS parallel at the same time as the op ? Thanks. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
6 minutes ago, abbie123 said:

Is Ian Fergie about he posted a wintery update yesterday for January is it all change now going by some posts on here this morning we are entering a mobile pattern from the south west very confusing some times on here..:D

Hi

Anyone who claims to know post D7 is just guessing IMHO. Look at the Control at D11:

gens-0-0-264.pnggens-0-2-276.png

The mean at the same time suggests the op is probably out of sync with the rest of the suite:

gens-21-1-264.png

All to play for, and answers are probably a day or so away viz D10 plus.

• Like 8

Posted
Just now, shotski said:

Just a quick question. 

Why don't they run the GFS parallel at the same time as the op ? Thanks. 

Maybe it takes longer ??

ecm para always came out later 

perhaps they run the para suites on slower machines - they aren't using them in anger as yet so no point in rushing them out

Impressive mean at days 8/9 on the gefs

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Just commenting on the 6z alone, if we keep getting bouts of winds from a Northerly quadrant then that will do me, surely a few nice surprises could crop up anywhere.

gfsnh-0-90.pnggfsnh-0-144.pnggfsnh-0-240.pnggfsnh-0-324.png

gfsnh-0-192.png

Edited by Day 10
remove image
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold or very hot

Just a quick question.  With waters quite warm around the UK and the burst of frigid cold coming down would this not promote some polar lows?  If polar lows do develop then surely the outlook could be anything.  I remember a low dropping from Iceland was a possibility yesterday could this low be a polar low development and the models are not able to pick it up until last few hours??? 

• Like 3

Posted
22 minutes ago, marksiwnc said:

Just a quick question.  With waters quite warm around the UK and the burst of frigid cold coming down would this not promote some polar lows?  If polar lows do develop then surely the outlook could be anything.  I remember a low dropping from Iceland was a possibility yesterday could this low be a polar low development and the models are not able to pick it up until last few hours??? 

I am not the best person to answer this question but I don't think a polar low would significantly change the broad pattern. It would of course have short term benefits (snowfall). 

Besides, I think colder uppers for a longer period would increase the chance of a polar low but as this stand this is just a cold shot rather than anything long lasting.

Posted
23 minutes ago, marksiwnc said:

The low pressure that slides down from Iceland isn't a 'polar low'! The term gets used incorrectly quite often on here unfortunately!

Under the right thickness and conditions it is possible to get a true 'polar low' here but very rare.

• Like 4

Posted
32 minutes ago, marksiwnc said:

I don't pretend this is the definitive post about Polar Lows but it may help your understanding of them

cripes I wrote it in 2005, there must be more up to date posts that would help?

Edited by johnholmes
  • Like 6

Posted
48 minutes ago, jvenge said:

GFS 6z is bringing slightly above average temperatures to the UK after the brief cold short incoming. Different from the 0z, which was keeping things at or below average. I didn't manage to look at the ensembles yet to see how representative it is.

I had a look at the 00z GFS postage stamps at T+192. 

The majority (over half) show a NW'ly. A quarter show W'ly. None show anything from the S/SW. 

By T+240, W and NW'lys are evenly spread, along with the rest of the members showing anything from SW'lys to N'lys. One or two members showing NE/E'ly but they are in the minority. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves

I could be wrong but at 180 gfs p could this bring snow showers to east coast and south east England I'm still learning so does anyone have any info  on this thanks. :D

IMG_0116.PNG

IMG_0117.PNG

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Yes quite a cold set from the 06z GEFs.

A look at the T180hrs mean chart shows the vortex split mores towards Siberia thus weakening the Canadian vortex

gensnh-21-1-180.png

this helps to keep the jet tilted more nw-se and with less forcing upstream more chances of developing favourable heights in the Atlantic for the UK.

The 850s and 2m temp for C.England looking quite cold on this run

06.gif06z t.gif

The clusterings around the same time pretty much all show a flow from the north west in varying degrees with another pulse of Atlantic ridging underway further west coming off the NA seaboard.

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=euro&MODELL=gefs&MODELLTYP=2&BASE=-&VAR=cslp&HH=180&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&WMO=&PERIOD=

The split in the temperature ens are certainly swinging around beyond day 7 run to run but the general theme of Atlantic blocking remains.It's just a case of how far north the waves of Atlantic ridging manifest themselves.

It is certainly a mile away from a strong zonal setup so options remain for some more seasonal weather as we go into January. 

• Like 5

Posted
24 minutes ago, Weathizard said:

The low pressure that slides down from Iceland isn't a 'polar low'! The term gets used incorrectly quite often on here unfortunately!

Under the right thickness and conditions it is possible to get a true 'polar low' here but very rare.

I thought the upper air had to be very cold (purples on Meteociel 500 temps) to initiate convection for polar low formation. I don't see anything cold enough to the north on the latest run, in reliable timeframe.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, jvenge said:

ensemble average stays lower

MT8_Aberdeen_ens.png

Edited by pdiddy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Well if the GFS (p) comes off I might just get PARAplegic :drunk-emoji:

IMG_4993.PNGIMG_4992.PNG

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 4

Posted
6 minutes ago, shotski said:

Isn't that the 0z though, when does the 6z come out ?

They are always a run behind, so the 0z para comes out at the same time as the 6z. 

I'm not sure I see much point in looking at it after day 7 though, as you can see how much the GEFS are chopping and changing each run, so to me looking at the day 10 para is no different than to cherry picking something from the GEFS.

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Cold again...Certainly backs up what Fergie was saying the other day about the signal for a marked cold signature S UK into Jan. HP just to N and a cold easterly S of this.

cfs-4-1-2017.png?12

cfs-1-1-2017.png?12

A point on the EPS discussion...haven't they been all over the place for the last 6 weeks or so? One moment looking promising in the extended range, the next flipping to something different?

Those CFS runs are in the same page as the back end of yesterday's eps

the extended eps haven't really been flipping.  the mid Atlantic ridge evident in most runs on the mslp anomoly and also higher than average on the z500 anoms. what I would say is that the anomolies in the 10/15 day period haven't been particularly deep. Hence the opportunity for the Atlantic ridge to edge east next run or the sceuro trough to edge west thereafter. 

the GEFS have looked a little less consistent but with only 40% of the no of members, it's more liable to change on the mean and anoms. 

that 06z suite was certainly sniffing a sinking trough day 8/9 with the ridge building across thereafter. day 8/9 only just after resolution drops so more interesting than seeing something clustering later in the run. it isn't often that the 06z GEFS sniffs the way ahead against the previous cross model offerings but if has happened in the past. 

• Like 1