Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted
15 minutes ago, Nick L said:

"there have been studies into it"

I'll also add that myself and several others on here actually work as forecasters, and this "lack of data" myth has zero bearing on our thoughts. In fact, I haven't heard it mentioned once in my office. It's only something that seems to have manifested itself through hearsay on forums and social media. If a butterfly flaps its wings in China, you get Chinese whispers.

So you don't believe in the chaos theory with regards to the NWP. Astonishing, back to basics for some I feel!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
2 minutes ago, Nick L said:

To put the radiosonde myth to bed...

http://weather.uwyo.edu/upperair/sounding.html

Check out the archives, soundings are still made on Christmas Day. And let's be honest, in the grand scheme of things, radiosonde data is TINY in comparison to the world. I fully expect this nonsense to be brought up again next Christmas, and the next, and the next. That's the last I'll say on this matter.

And maybe again for the orthodox Christmas :nonono:

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Nick L said:

To put the radiosonde myth to bed...

http://weather.uwyo.edu/upperair/sounding.html

Check out the archives, soundings are still made on Christmas Day. And let's be honest, in the grand scheme of things, radiosonde data is TINY in comparison to the world. I fully expect this nonsense to be brought up again next Christmas, and the next, and the next. That's the last I'll say on this matter.

Radiosonde data is tiny eh? Some disagree.

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/story/news/local/2015/04/02/weather-balloons-still-critical-forecasting/70861502/

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: deep snow/warm sunshine
33 minutes ago, TEITS said:

Run out of helium:yahoo:

Wasn't  that when the models were showing relentless gales over the Christmas period and now it's flipped to quite anticyclonic?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather
11 minutes ago, TEITS said:

How do we know it has a negligible effect. If a butterfly flapping its wings can change the outcome then surely lack of data can do the same. Also do you know the exact amount of weather balloons launched on a normal day and how many on xmas day. If you cannot answer then you cannot say Xmas model output isn't affected.

Another thought ,perhaps we need to take into account the number of planes taking off and flying around ,if a butterfly flapping its wings can effect our atmosphere [just a thought ]I dont mean to appear rude but looking outside this morning at all the north american air traffic coming in i,m sure that must affect our atmosphere .

Iwould also like to point out too new members , the study of aircraft contrails is a very interesting read ,and for any one trying to understand the upper atmosphere at about 300mb which is about 30,000 feet  different thicknesses and length of these contrails also how fast they break up etc , any how models today looking very encouraging for out past this sunday ,but dont look for the snow word too much at the moment as this will come nearer the time in any met forecast ,there are Weather sharks out there people with no more interest than selling their papers etc , well gang catch you up later at that golden hour of 7pm for tonights runs ,cheers :yahoo:

• Like 5

Posted

No matter what, I think we're going to spend January in the freezer and I am happy after a benign December. 

• Like 4

Posted

Today's updated CPC AO and NAO forecasts are much improved on yesterday's. I wonder if this will lead to some peachy cold 12z runs? :)

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

The 06z ens shows the Op was on the cold side from around the 6th the peak of the cold looks to be early next week after which we see a slight rise in the 850's but still remaining on the chilly side

gefsens850London0.png

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
25 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Today's updated CPC AO and NAO forecasts are much improved on yesterday's. I wonder if this will lead to some peachy cold 12z runs? :)

AO dive bomb would suggest WAA making further inroads to the pole than shown on the 6z I think.

IMG_3888.PNG

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Changing Skies said:

He's been on the sherry!

Back on topic, this chart shows the comparative importance of various input components to NWP for error reduction, from a 2013 powerpoint presentation focused on aircraft data -

components.png

source: ftp://ftp.wmo.int/Documents/www/amdar/presentations/wmo_airc_leadcenter_work.pps

Edited by Interitus
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
21 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

AO dive bomb would suggest WAA making further inroads to the pole than shown on the 6z I think.

IMG_3888.PNG

A tanking AO is a clear indication around our region that cold weather is around the corner.I cannot recall a time when it was a faux pas

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

GFS seems to of downgraded from earlier runs but still short colder periods.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
11 minutes ago, offerman said:

GFS seems to of downgraded from earlier runs but still short colder periods.

GFS 12z has just started rolling out ?

Posted
1 hour ago, bluearmy said:

I'm sure NOAA will be delighted to read the members of NW have decided to take the multi million pound gfs upgrade seriously!

since it became available I am taking it far more seriously than the normal gfs

lets see if the current trend to develop a week 2 more west based neg NAO begins to show on the normal gfs. Of course, week 2 op output isn't for close analysis in any case.

This is something I have wondered. Is the new GFS parallel verifying better than the current Op? As you say, it is supposed to be an upgrade, therefore it should be. If so, I'll take the 00z!