Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted
Just now, Steve Murr said:

Yep all in all a good celebratory day thus far-

The initial ridging seems fairly well alligned now from all 3, then some questions around how far the high rolls over -with perhaps the 00z GFS being the flattest solution at day 8-9 & the ECM being the most Amplified in the same timeline..

Post that signs of another go at the cherry in differing scenarios - however lets get phase 1 resolved first without getting to carried away - Ver cold air pushing south as we enter 2017 so thats great-

As for snow, well the more amplified the better, PTB 20 brings north of a foot of snow for the NE...  Lets have some of that!!

Exciting!!!!!!:yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Looking at some of those projected 850s (and assuming cloudless skies and little or no wind) some places, especially the fog-prone, could well see minima below -10C?

Waiting to discover when/where/if the snow's going to come from, however, could cause some frustration?:cold:

no chance for the lake effect to happen?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

no chance for the lake effect to happen?

The minor adjustment I am hoping for, would allow for just that!:snowman-emoji:

• Like 5

Posted
4 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

anyone looking for what a 'Classic' 

-EPO / -NAO couplet looks like then look no further than this run - PTB 5

IMG_1179.PNG

A thing of beauty. Well, I for one wasn't expecting these upgrades this morning. We have received some special boxing day presents from the models today, especially the ecm op :)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
On 21/12/2016 at 13:00, gottolovethisweather said:

Yes indeed Legritter, I think some cold days ahead as we close out the year, a tad deja vu, but I'm not bothered, dry, frosty by night, chance of ice days all suggest it'll be fantastic for walks out in the countryside. 

BUMP. :acute:

Not that I've followed the outputs of late as I've been otherwise engaged but it seems five days on, most predictions are still on course for a rather cold end to this year and potentially and even colder beginning to the new one. Glad to witness plenty of consistency in the modelling (based on other folk's analysis of it) as there often is when HP is ruling the roost somewhere nearby. :good:

Get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather away from parts NW while you can, people. 

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

Holy moley, ECM goes all out with its 240 chart!!! :cold:

npsh500.240.png

Won't be getting my ramp out just yet however, GFS +240 below for comparison, shows the huge spread in solutions...

npsh500.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Early Jan onwards we see the 850's going below zero with the Op on the warm side from the 4th to 8th

gefsens850London0.png

Inverness has the best chance of snow

gefsens850Inverness0.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

This is where its starting to get interesting, the number of flatliners starting to increase with each run, IF the trend continues for anywhere near 48 hours, then a fridgid spell is guaranteed, the very worst we will do though is a cold spell of some description.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

LOL GFS6Zis actually one of the milder solutions! And its a jolly cold run itself!:cold:

Am I dreaming??? :yahoo:

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Lets have a last ramp before later-

one( short) window for IMBY

IMG_1180.PNGIMG_1181.PNG

Minus -14 & 510 thickness-

The 850 table shows T162 being about the point where the cold is in for the SE ( 144 for scotland )

IMG_1182.PNG

S

Mother Thames snow machine on standby Steve...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
9 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Early Jan onwards we see the 850's going below zero with the Op on the warm side from the 4th to 8th

gefsens850London0.png

Inverness has the best chance of snow

gefsens850Inverness0.png

What is positive to note is for a 10 day spell from 1st Jan to 11th Jan the majority of the runs don't reach >0 850hpa temp bare a small few. Being in London this is something we haven't seen for a while.

Edited by Ben Sainsbury

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
16 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Yep all in all a good celebratory day thus far-

The initial ridging seems fairly well alligned now from all 3, then some questions around how far the high rolls over -with perhaps the 00z GFS being the flattest solution at day 8-9 & the ECM being the most Amplified in the same timeline..

Post that signs of another go at the cherry in differing scenarios - however lets get phase 1 resolved first without getting to carried away - Very cold upper air pushing south as we enter 2017 so thats great-

As for snow, well the more amplified the better, PTB 20 brings north of a foot of snow for the NE...  Lets have some of that!!

I have to say, I much prefer this new change of attitude, SM! ..No more premature ramping:good:

Posted
2 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Lets have a last ramp before later-

one( short) window for IMBY

IMG_1180.PNGIMG_1181.PNG

Minus -14 & 510 thickness-

The 850 table shows T162 being about the point where the cold is in for the SE ( 144 for scotland )

IMG_1182.PNG

S

Yes, heavy snow showers for you there, the mother of all beltings for Northern France as well.

• Like 1

Posted

Awesome ENS, I'm still thinking they could get better and as Ian F mentioned, this cold could stay for a long time...The models showing this, not necessarily Ian saying this

Edited by Ali1977

Posted
Just now, JennyJane1 said:

what date is this?

1st / 2nd Jan but it is only one perturbation of aa 20 member suite but shows what could realistically happen.

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

1st / 2nd Jan but it is only one perturbation of aa 20 member suite but shows what could realistically happen.

Thanks, I will keep an eye on the model thread as it gets nearer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

The only problem with this mornings excellent runs is that things can only get worse!

I am worried that the 12z and future runs will downgrade as so often happens, but hey let's enjoy it while we can, IF these charts verify it would have been a remarkable turnaround from the appalling charts that were being vomitted out of the computers a few days ago.

Either way this is model watching at its best.

Just a thought but for those of us who remember the great cold spell of January 1987 it's worth noting the previous Decembe was mild and non descript with little frost and no snow.......a bit like this year.

Thats my Ramp for the day.

Andy

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Well well well, hope you all had a merry Christmas and are having a jolly Boxing Day :santa-emoji:

beginning to see some agreement within the far end of the mid timeframe scale with the big two as from this morning, which is the main thing.

just to note also, the sun has been blank with no sunspots at all for 3 days in a row and even before that, only one or two tiny ones over the past week. Just wondering if this is playing into our hands and if the models take these kind of things into account. 

Anyway enjoy those turkey sandwiches and Boxing Day buffets :D! I'm sure many will be keeping a close eye on these runs from now on in!! 

• Like 4