Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted

The signal so far for this winter period has been for an unstable and oft-amplified upper jet, though where that ends up and whether we get that mythical north-african descending arm; waits to be seen....

At T90 lies the first disturbance point where the northern-jet starts to begin to break off and send a little energy southward. At that same time we have a very complicated and dynamic picture of emerging shortwaves, ridges and other features. Changeable certainly, even before T126. But here's hoping...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

Merry Christmas to one and all . Thanks to all that contribute. Still learning loads from you guys . Not sure if I will ever completely understand but I sure understand a lot more now thanks to you .

what the hell as happened since last night . Has Mr Murr hacked in to the models for Christmas ?

• Like 5

Posted

I've not seen any real consistency out in crazy land but take T+240 (D10) between the 00z and 06z - virtually identical! Santa needs to go easy on the mulled wine. Merry Christmas. :hi:

IMG_1331.PNGIMG_1332.PNG

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
22 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

100% an ice day...

IMG_1162.PNG

lets hope we get close to it varifying...

Yes, we could do with the High further North though and lower 500mb heights though so more PPN on offer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
49 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Merry Xmas from me to one and all!

I've had my Xmas present from the models this morning espescially after a month without being able to watch this wonderful forum, because of holidays and a broken network adapter card.

Just completed the important bits of rebuilding my PC yesterday after a 'PC fixer' lost all my data.

I couldn't be happier this morning..

May I thank all contributors to the forum in general.

MIA:D:D:ball-santa-emoji:

Good Morning MIA and other posters.

I concur with what you have posted. It is good to see you back on this site. I trust you and your family are well.

We know that things are on the up when Dave (TEITS) starts posting. The charts that I have viewed this morning seem to ooze potential, and long may it continue. We just need a bit more low pressure to the south of us and a more robust area of high pressure to the northwest of us to put the cream on the cake.

Merry Christmas to one and all and thanks to those that post on this site very informative information.

Kind Regards

Dave

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
23 minutes ago, Changing Skies said:

I've not seen any real consistency out in crazy land but take T+240 (D10) between the 00z and 06z - virtually identical! Santa needs to go easy on the mulled wine. Merry Christmas. :hi:

IMG_1331.PNGIMG_1332.PNG

Must be due to the lack of data over Christmas????

I'll get my coat...I might need it!  :cold:

Merry Christmas one and all!  :santa-emoji:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
37 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

100% an ice day...

IMG_1162.PNG

lets hope we get close to it varifying...

Speaking of ice days, Met Office predicting possibilty of one around here on Wednesday.

Wouldn't expect one myself looking at the GFS chart for the said time but goes to show what a bit of high pressure can do for temps.

15724167_10158066672345245_670474104_n.jh850t850eu.png

• Like 1

Merry Christmas everyone!

We're starting to see solid model consensus on the pattern change to cold with the HP building out west around T144. That's still plenty of time for pear-shaped developments and I think for most of us the concern will be how quickly the high topples, assuming it does. Recent history doesn't bode particularly well on that score, with topplers invariably winning out but let's remain cautiously optimistic. Sometimes these pattern changes presage  much bigger synoptic shifts than are currently shown. That's what most of us will be hoping.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Merry Christmas to  all, Just to say a big thank you to all the knowledgeable contributors on here. Like a lot of people  my understanding of the charts etc has been greatly  enhanced by you all . Her'es to a snowy blocked New Year. :D

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

Speaking of ice days, Met Office predicting possibilty of one around here on Wednesday.

Wouldn't expect one myself looking at the GFS chart for the said time but goes to show what a bit of high pressure can do for temps.

You are comparing a chart showing temps at 1500m ASL to ground temps. Under high pressure the ground temps  can be a lot lower.  

Still feel first ridge around new year will be a non event, more confident of a decent cold blast and some snow second week of Jan.

Merry Christmas everyone 

Edited by Tim Bland
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
24 minutes ago, vizzy2004 said:

As mentioned above, don't use 850 temps as an approximation for ground temps under high pressure in winter. You will often get inversions.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and hot, sunny summers!

Merry Christmas everyone! :drunk-emoji:

h850t850eu.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

As mentioned above, don't use 850 temps as an approximation for ground temps under high pressure in winter. You will often get inversions.

Yes that's very true Nick.

For me its just one of those charts where at first glance for me it doesn't scream potential ice day, but we all have different capabilities of reading charts.

However fingers crossed we can get some proper ice days come January. (under cold uppers)

graphe_ens3_skn5.gif

Not much agreement as we head into the New Year, however the mean runs along at -2/3c so the potential for cold/snow is certainly increased.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, knocker said:

Happy New Year from Sidney in Cornwall

gefs_t2ma_5d_eur_49.png

Poor Sydney,how he will suffer in the coming cold ( wishful thinking)? Just wanted to thank you for all your input,a merry Christmas and a happy new year to you and all the posters on this fantastic site.

• Like 2

Posted

The last two gfs ops are consistent but outside the spread of the ecm ens and also the gefs 

clearly there is a clustering to extend the ridge northeast but these ops are likely not going to be the detailed way forward 

gefs keep the euro low anomolies late week 2 and raise to our north in general though the weak ones to our ne are in contrast with the eps

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
8 minutes ago, knocker said:

Happy New Year from Sidney in Cornwall

gefs_t2ma_5d_eur_49.png

Crikey!  Looks like Turkey's going into the freezer.   We only just defrosted ours.....

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

Happy Christmas to everyone !!!  Are the models shaping up to give us an extra Christmas Present in the New Year??? Fingers crossed

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, Kentish Snowman said:

Must be due to the lack of data over Christmas????

I think this one was put to bed years ago and certainly isn't the case these days

I urge a little caution getting too excited about individual runs a week or more away when there are plenty of other less extreme options available. Nevertheless a colder interlude does look on the cards.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

Some light at the end of a very long tunnel even if it is temporary 

IMG_2114.PNG

• Like 1