Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted

The ecm not dissimilar to the GFS up to the weekend but then keeps the quite intense high pressure to the west so much depends on the precise orientation of this as to whether the UK is in the NW circulation of the anticyclone or more northerly streamlines as systems track SE around the high.All rather academic anyway

ecm_mslp_uv850_natl_11.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
On 23/12/2016 at 06:36, That ECM said:

All three at t144 have the ridge starting to build out west. Let's hope we can see this at t72 then it may well be game on. At last output excitement. Personally wouldn't worry about what is shown after this time. 

IMG_7971.PNG

IMG_7972.PNG

IMG_7973.PNG

Here are the T96 48 hours on. Looking out west and ECM being more consistent. Doesn't mean it's right though. Another 24 hours and we will be able to judge I think. 

Merry Christmas all. 

IMG_8023.PNG

IMG_8024.PNG

IMG_8025.PNG

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

The GFS op has very little support synoptic wise or upper temp wise after D8. We have solid agreement from the GEFS till Jan 2 and then there remains much uncertainty; so nothing has really changed in the last two days outputs.

Still the main story is of a colder outlook for the UK as we enter 2017. How that manifests on the surface remains elusive. The 3 main models at D10:

ECM1-240 (1).gifgem-0-240 (4).pnggfs-0-240 (1).png

Where the core high sits will make big differences to a more prolonged shot of colder weather.

The GEFS clustering does not rule out any of these though the GFS op is the most dramatic and out on its own "potential" wise at that range.

graphe3_1000_306_141___Londres (4).gif

The Control at D10 misses the initial height rises, but the next wave of energy from the Atlantic builds the ridge and we end up with a second shot:

gensnh-0-1-240.pnggensnh-0-1-384.png D10 mean Alaska Ridge:gensnh-21-1-240 (1).png

The upstream mean Alaskan Ridge is showing from D7 to D14 and the models are clearly reacting to this, so amplitude and placement of this is no doubt the driver for heights building in the local as energy is forced between the sympathetic US trough. If we can get a good synoptic for the UK in that 7 day window, maybe two shots, this could have a longer lead time for UK cold whilst the NH pattern reshuffles.

A Happy Christmas to all.

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW ICE

Can't wait for this evenings runs they will Even look better with:drunk-emoji:Merry xmass:cold-emoji:

Edited by snowice
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Merry Christmas everyone and thank you for all the wonderfull and informative posts. Finally the models are showing some eye candy let's hope that it's not long before we are all buying carrots for a 6 foot snowman lol. :santa-emoji::cold-emoji::snowman-emoji:

• Like 8

Posted

The EPS 7-12 anomaly this morning has the HP centred about 600Km west of southern Ireland and thus, with the eastern European trough running south to south east Europe a quite strong upper NW flow. Temps around average but depending on precisely where the main surface features align as to whether the UK gets some transient colder shots as systems track around the HP and thus temporarily veering the surface wind northerly or North easterly. This scenario remains in the ext period with perhaps the upper flow backing somewhat and thus no obvious danger of any sustained cold periods. Hallelujah, Praise the Lord.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 7

Posted
12 minutes ago, knocker said:

The EPS 7-12 anomaly this morning has the HP centred about 600Km west of southern Ireland and thus, with the eastern European trough running south to south east Europe a quite strong upper NW flow. Temps around average but depending on precisely where the main surface features align as to whether the UK gets some transient colder shots as systems track around the HP and thus temporarily veering the surface wind northerly or North easterly. This scenario remains in the ext period with perhaps the upper flow backing somewhat and thus no obvious danger of any sustained cold periods. Hallelujah, Praise the Lord.

bah humbug you old scrooge !!!:cold-emoji:anyway happy christmas everyone.

Edited by PLANET THANET
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall in particular but most aspects of weather, hate hot and humid.

Well the gefs and ecm seem to still have plenty of Xmas spirit this morning.

merry Christmas to all my fellow snows searchers, yes even Knocker and Sid. I have a feeling Sid will want to wrap up his Christmas nuts come the new year

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

A bit off topic but...what we really need for this to come off is those two jinxers James Madden and Nathan Rao to keep their traps shut!

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Merry Christmas everyone, hope you all have a great day :)

Both GFS and ECM offering some Christmas cheer this morning which is nice to see. Loving how GFS op manages to pull in that finger of cold!! Brrrrrr :0 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...

In addition to the promising pressure patterns being developed by the models in the new year outlook, it seems that the GFS also has the Jetstream finally trending to the south of the UK at the end of the run.  If this comes off I believe we can genuinely hope for much colder air to be available in January.  The actual shape of things will not be exactly like this in 10 days, of course, but at least the door to some much colder winter weather is being opened again.

image.gif

I would also like add my best wishes to everyone for a very Cherry Mistmas (oops - too early for the sherry) and a Happy New Thread to all in 2017.  I am banking on the new thread being full of SNOW.  :ball-santa-emoji: :cold-emoji:

• Like 3

Posted
18 minutes ago, Sky Full said:

I

I would also like add my best wishes to everyone for a very Cherry Mistmas (oops - too early for the sherry) and a Happy New Thread to all in 2017.  I am banking on the new thread being full of SNOW.  :ball-santa-emoji: :cold-emoji:

Well you can BANK that it will be full of the usual.......now, now knocker remember the season :shok:

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Merry Xmas from me to one and all!

I've had my Xmas present from the models this morning espescially after a month without being able to watch this wonderful forum, because of holidays and a broken network adapter card.

Just completed the important bits of rebuilding my PC yesterday after a 'PC fixer' lost all my data.

I couldn't be happier this morning..

May I thank all contributors to the forum in general.

MIA:D:D:ball-santa-emoji:

• Like 4