Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall in particular but most aspects of weather, hate hot and humid.
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

The Atlantic isn't blocked though? It's roaring away 1000 miles N of us!

We need to be on the N side of the jet, not stuck on its southern side under a dome of warm uppers!

Yes Crewe we know that but Iceberg is talking about the potential to move on from that point as per some of the gefs

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
6 minutes ago, mcweather said:

Yes Crewe we know that but Iceberg is talking about the potential to move on from that point as per some of the gefs

There's potential at any given timeframe though. The day 10 ECM chart is the same chart we've been seeing day in and day out over the past 2 weeks or so. My point was why single that chart out and highlight potential? He was using that chart to make a point about the wider trend in the 14 day + period and he was wrong to do so because it does not fit that particular script. And neither should it do at day 10 (outside point of interest).

People do have the right to post what they want...completely agree. However if you're going to post (an opinion as THAT ECM put it) then you leave yourself open to scrutiny if we're to have a healthy debate- especially when what you post is spurious in the first instance.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

I don't think anyone should write January off with perturbations like these from the GEFS 12z..admittedly they are in FI but they show potential all the same, enough to keep coldies interested!:santa-emoji:

1_360_850tmp.png

4_384_850tmp.png

9_384_850tmp.png

13_336_850tmp.png

16_366_850tmp.png

19_384_850tmp.png

21_384_850tmp.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
4 minutes ago, inghams85 said:

I think I'm not the only poster who thinks you need to get off your high horse and drop the attitude. I could understand it if you were a trained meteorologist. Your not your an amateur like 90% on this forum

Indeed I am. Never pretended to be anything else. I have also been corrected on plenty of occasions...

There is no high horse, just a desire for a touch of reality? I like a ramp as much as the next person but there is really nothing to even remotely raise a smile for at the minute- to suggest otherwise is just misleading. That's my point.

There's a reason why even the rampiest of the rampers like Steve Murr are quiet at the moment...as he said earlier, we're looking 2nd week in Jan now at the earliest for a decent shot at cold.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Cross output is speaking for itself here.

The pv have an 'anger' issue and is gaining in momentum in its comfort zone...and that isn't unfortunately on an eastern migration! Also I appreciate some are in learning form via modeling. ..However toughness is sometimes the better of gain!

Anyhow with current synoptics its looking-mid- January' before atm anything plausible in terms of noteworthy aspect! !! ...hard reality..Im afraid! !!

• Like 3

Posted

Can't believe the models are firming up on another settled spell. A short-lived zonal spell. It used to be the other way round. A dry December on the cards. It will be interesting to see at the end of the month just how dry:)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

I want cold and snow as much as anyone and fervently I still believe that something near 47 is afoot. Yet I agree with CC. And I find that Knockers posts on average deliver the most accurate long term forecast ....by which mean  T72 plus...

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Ok guys keep it friendly.A few posts have  had to be pruned.

Now back on topic please. 

Ta.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Its looking increasingly likely that after the coming unsettled spell which is forecast by models charts etc  Will come a spell of high pressure dominated weather for the UK but where this high pressure is going to be situated come the turn of the new year is still yet open to many possible out comes .of course it could move away south allowing the atlantic train to come rushing in ,or it could even back west then migrate north , there seems to be many options on the table , but looking across the atlantic it does look like high pressure could be setting up shop around n east canada ,which could allow our weather to perhaps take on more of a wintry outlook as high pressure could set up further to our north ,but i,m hoping that all of us can see some wintry weather come next year ,A bit of snow on the ground hanging around for a while and a few ice days ,not asking for much ,i can see the headlines now ,5CM snow causes chaos ,transport paralysed  ,Net weather posters dragged away by men in white coats ,cheers gang :yahoo::yahoo:

• Like 9

Posted

Well 12z gfs p has just come out and looks very much like the t240 ecm at t240. 

It goes on to show the Atlantic completely blocked come the begining of January. All in all at this range that's all you can hope for. Plenty of potential from a blocked atlantic. 

IMG_0626.PNG

IMG_0627.PNG

IMG_0628.PNG

• Like 9

Posted

GEFS mean and ECM means at D15 - not miles apart (and fairly consistent with the most recent EC32 too). Heights centred just to our SW with a hint of retrogression ESP on GEFS.

gens-21-1-360.png

ec-ens_nat_gh500mean_gh500std_thk500mean

Of course, the individual members will vary around the theme, so quite likely the ECM will throw some blocks slightly further north as well as south. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

18z big changes to the north east by 29 dec                                                         

18z 29 dec.png

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, stewfox said:

18z big changes to the north east by 29 dec                                                         

18z 29 dec.png

In what way Stewfox? Thanks

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Grimsby Snow Lover said:

Not anything spectacular but its a cold day and cold air never too far away

Rtavn16217.gif

HP clinging on D10 but this is deep deep FI

gfsnh-0-240.png?18

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
17 minutes ago, Grimsby Snow Lover said:

Far more cold air too our North East as there appears to be a change in the surface features prior to that. Its a observation. One chart attached from yesterday the other from today. This pushes -10c 850s into southern Italy a bit later !

Tonight 18z .. midnight xmas day

christmas day midnight_Ink_LI.jpg

Yesterday

christmas  day mid night_Ink_LI.jpg

Impact 29 dec

-10c southern italy.png

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 4