Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave
1 minute ago, Iceberg said:

Ecm also brings little belts of snow as well. A very nice meso feature on the t240 embedded in -6 850s giving snow to Scotland. 

I agree that the models could be better but dreadful they are not unless you have a high degree of imbyism. 

IMG_0606.PNG

Yes many in Ireland, Northern Ireland and Scotland would probably be quite happy with the ECM. Those areas tend to do quite well from these setups as this is where the air is coldest and modified the least. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

ECM firming up on what could be a disruptive festive period. For me storm force winds, heavy rain, snow and  generally cold are all there.  This is worth monitoring. It is a watch period and I have a few concerns with it.  

BFTP

• Like 8

Posted
4 minutes ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

ECM firming up on what could be a disruptive festive period. For me storm force winds, heavy rain, snow and  generally cold are all there.  This is worth monitoring. It is a watch period and I have a few concerns with it.  

BFTP

Agree. Along way to go but this could be very nasty for some. Not whats wanted over Christmas.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Cheers Matt appreciate your honesty as ever. 

As far as the ECM 12z is concerned, I'm just gutted I would miss the worst of that storm, way too far south. Certainly looks an interesting period of weather for some.

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Ecm 12z is an upgrade in terms of cold zonality compared to earlier..there would be a risk of snow at times and not just on northern hills..quite a wintry stormy outlook being shown for the christmas period.:santa-emoji:I suspect northern hills would get a good dumping at times and even the south on hills could see an occasional wintry mix.

96_mslp850uk.png

120_mslp850uk.png

120_thickuk.png

168_mslp500.png

168_mslp850uk.png

168_thickuk.png

ECMOPEU12_168_2.png

ECMOPEU12_192_2.png

ECMOPEU12_216_2.png

ECMOPEU12_240_1.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 6

Posted
24 minutes ago, Matthew Wilson said:

Interesting chance of a wintry blast here:

IMG_0857.PNG

Yes - however with regards getting a signal for the days beyond that this might not be too helpful, since it contradicts the idea of heights rebuilding to the NE.

Note to Matt Hugo - love your analysis, never hide from the truth, you know, I really really hope the ECM monthly does get the signal right this time as it would be nice to have just a little bit of faith in these long term models!! But the ECM op feels the same as the winter so far - long term signals blocked, short-term signals not so much, result = stalemate.

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
17 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

The Ecm 12z is an upgrade in terms of cold zonality compared to earlier..there would be a risk of snow at times and not just on northern hills..quite a wintry stormy outlook being shown for the christmas period.:santa-emoji:I suspect northern hills would get a good dumping at times and even the south on hills could see an occasional wintry mix.

96_mslp850uk.png

120_mslp850uk.png

120_thickuk.png

168_mslp500.png

168_mslp850uk.png

168_thickuk.png

ECMOPEU12_168_2.png

ECMOPEU12_192_2.png

ECMOPEU12_216_2.png

ECMOPEU12_240_1.png

Good optimistic charts posted Frosty - cant see what all the doom and gloom is to be honest  - we are moving on from last weeks murk into a more mobile and cooler pattern full of interest for most -  I have  just come in and the CH has gone up a notch which cant be bad..

• Like 4

Posted

ECM brings very damaging winds (Red warning undoubtedly) to swathes of Ireland & Scotland on Christmas Day a horrible time for such, any time would be bad, interestingly, there has been quite some support for quite some time for at least one vicious storm over festive period. I do see it as very plausible and potentially for there to be scope for southern counties to be impacted, with jet stream charged at UK - rather than the current over the top regime which is set to breakdown, with the HP infulence. I'm sure those folks at Exeter are 'monitoring' things closely, interesting from a weather enthusiast perspective mind. 

image.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
Just now, frosty ground said:

How do those wind speed translate to ground level.

60 to 70mph for large areas of the UK 100mph or more in exposed areas

Still a week for this to downgrade which hopefully it will otherwise large areas could well be without power on Christmas day

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, frosty ground said:

There is no direct translation that I know of but the surface winds will be less but not  hugely over open sea or exposed coasts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
3 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

The 10m wind gusts are showing as 90-100mph over much of Scotland. Pretty much the whole UK is in excess of 50-60mph.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Whilst the christmas period looks unsettled and potentially disruptive, the GEFS 12z mean shows a return to benign anticyclonic conditions towards new year and into early January with an increasing risk of frost and fog.

21_264_500mb.png

21_288_500mb.png

21_312_500mb.png

21_336_500mb.png

21_360_500mb.png

21_384_500mb.png

21_384_2mtmpmax.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
2 minutes ago, Nick L said:

The 10m wind gusts are showing as 90-100mph over much of Scotland. Pretty much the whole UK is in excess of 50-60mph.

Could be a repeat of Hurricane Bawbag. Hope it doesn't verify though.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

My general rule is that storms shown 8-10 days out don't tend to verify as shown, no matter which model. What does seem likely though is a storm of some sort because it has been repeatedly modelled, just variations of strength and position. My money is on a storm bringing gusts in excess of 70mph for North western parts and more impactful for Scotland, but then is that really that uncommon given the time of year? 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
4 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

My general rule is that storms shown 8-10 days out don't tend to verify as shown, no matter which model. What does seem likely though is a storm of some sort because it has been repeatedly modelled, just variations of strength and position. My money is on a storm bringing gusts in excess of 70mph for North western parts and more impactful for Scotland, but then is that really that uncommon given the time of year? 

No not uncommon at all. I think my wish list of more precise weather modelling would have storms at the top due to the disruption they cause. 

Edited by Seasonality
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: action weather

Evening all ,Barbara would be our next named storm ,when we had Angus back in November I certainly thought that we would be on our 4th storm by now , ok current possible storm forecast at 7 to 8 days away .if it goes as ecm is modeling it's very bad news for probably 60 percent of  UK , 200 miles further south my next door neibours trampoline goes airborne again ,we are in the lap of the gods . 

On tonights ecm high pressure is kept much further east ,I, v no clue to what lies past the new year ,any person have a clue ,drinks all round ,:drunk-emoji::snowman-emoji:.

• Like 7

36 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Is it my imagination but these models seem identical to 5 Weeks ago. ?

Whilst the christmas period looks unsettled and potentially disruptive, the GEFS 12z mean shows a return to benign anticyclonic conditions towards new year and into early January with an increasing risk of frost and fog.

21_264_500mb.png

21_288_500mb.png

21_312_500mb.png

21_336_500mb.png

21_360_500mb.png

21_384_500mb.png

21_384_2mtmpmax.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

As above still windy but not to the extreme of the Op

Ens                                                               Op

ECMAVGEU12_192_1.pngECMOPEU12_192_1.png