Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted
16 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Good link

The Merra reanalysis will be very similar to the ERA interim reanalysis

it does surprise me around the negative CETS- did you consider the 2 week propergation window?

next level of analysis is whats the best case scenario with no SSW...

PS

just adding to that - The SSW correlations are more concentrated towards the -AO not UK CET

so a SSW enhances the probability of a cold outbreak in the UK-

I did some personal research on 62/63 & 100% the SSW caused that opening outbreak of cold

anyone want any proof? Look at the 10hpa warming on 12-13 Dec 1962- same as 2009

S

Would be interesting to look at Jan 87, late Dec/Jan 78/79, Dec 81. Were these famous cold spells preceded by ssw's?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, snowwman said:

As I recall, the SWW in 1962 happened way after the cold set in on in late December. I'll try to recover some of the data and get back to you.

Ive already checked on NCAR its 12th & 13th over siberia... :)

bang on 2 weeks later was the propergation-

Im on the road at the mo- will add a post in winter thread later

Will tag you

s

6 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Ive already checked on NCAR its 12th & 13th over siberia... :)

bang on 2 weeks later was the propergation-

Im on the road at the mo- will add a post in winter thread later

Will tag you

s

28th January:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://www.columbia.edu/~lmp/paps/martius%2Bpolvani%2Bdavies-GRL-2009.pdf&sa=U&ved=0ahUKEwiS9uf5q-zQAhUnDcAKHU-lC2oQFggQMAA&usg=AFQjCNHwBsKhcXo9vyQQs7Z8d0W3ruKn4A

, so couldn't have caused it. Not a criticism of your reaearch, Steve- in fact I'm a fan of your posts. Just thought I'dd add a little of my own research so we wouldn't be as worried about 10hPa forecasts from various models!

Edited by snowwman
  • Like 1

I will look later - however I didnt check whether a secondary warming perpetuated the winter

ERA data suggests no warming events - however obviously thats relating to the technical definition

IMG_9982.PNG

Edit checked your link - agrees with ERA- which is surprising as when you look at the warming on 12:12:62 it was epic !

here it is

IMG_9983.PNG

Edited by Steve Murr
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

I will look later - however I didnt check whether a secondary warming perpetuated the winter

ERA data suggests no warming events - however obviously thats relating to the technical definition

IMG_9982.PNG

It's surprizing how much variation there is between sources. As you suggest, it depends on how you define them. I do wonder, given all this, whether the weather models have properly integrated what we think we know about SSW data into their output.

Posted
5 minutes ago, snowwman said:

Sub zero.

19 minutes ago, snowwman said:

I'd like to re run my analysis, but I concluded the last time that a split strat is positively harmful for our chances of cold.

With the focus that many people put on the stratospheric temperature, split pv's and ssw's it would seem almost incredible that your findings, if true, have been overlooked. I think people can agree that LRF's and global drivers are rightly under scrutiny just now. Lorenzo made a very honest, heart felt post a few days back where his exasperation was almost palpable. The conclusion may be that the forecast regarding blocking is actually not far off the mark but in terms of conditions on the ground on our small island, it would be hard to make a case for a front loaded winter (yet).

I have followed with real interest developments from early November.The front loaded winter, due to start early December initially, then mid December, now last third of December looks like it may not happen at all. Is it possible that in all the complexities, there could be something very simple, that is overlooked. I suspect the answer is no, but your post Snowman gives food for thought.

I used a very crude measure to evaluate the progress of such a forecast. From early December, I looked at the T850 GEFS ensemble mean for 15th December on the 00z, for my area and it oscillated +/- 2 C around the 0 C line but at no point was there any suggestion of something in the offing.regarding cold. The shorter range models simply did not buy it.

• Like 2

Posted
35 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Would be interesting to look at Jan 87, late Dec/Jan 78/79, Dec 81. Were these famous cold spells preceded by ssw's?

http://ds.data.jma.go.jp/gmd/tcc/tcc/products/clisys/figures/db_hist_pen_tcc.html

You'll get historic strat charts for 30mb at the above link. Also offers 100mb, 500mb and sea level which allows you to follow the downward propagation. It's set for five day sections but you can change to ten days or more.

Edit - as Steve says below it is the angle and shape which is important - my link has the geopotential heights shown rather than the degree of warming.

Edited by Nouska
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Starsail said:

With the focus that many people put on the stratospheric temperature, split pv's and ssw's it would seem almost incredible that your findings, if true, have been overlooked. I think people can agree that LRF's and global drivers are rightly under scrutiny just now. Lorenzo made a very honest, heart felt post a few days back where his exasperation was almost palpable. The conclusion may be that the forecast regarding blocking is actually not far off the mark but in terms of conditions on the ground on our small island, it would be hard to make a case for a front loaded winter (yet).

I have followed with real interest developments from early November.The front loaded winter, due to start early December initially, then mid December, now last third of December looks like it may not happen at all. Is it possible that in all the complexities, there could be something very simple, that is overlooked. I suspect the answer is no, but your post Snowman gives food for thought.

I used a very crude measure to evaluate the progress of such a forecast. From early December, I looked at the T850 GEFS ensemble mean for 15th December on the 00z, for my area and it oscillated +/- 2 C around the 0 C line but at no point was there any suggestion of something in the offing.regarding cold. The shorter range models simply did not buy it.

The important thing is don't take my word for it- I'm not a pro and have very limited access to data, and that data might contradict other data, but I concluded in honesty what I did from what I had. I would hope that any of what we know about the strat would be of a better quality than my own research, and that human error is minimized, in the implications for the model output.

And about the shape of the vortex, exactly, Steve- that's what it's about.

Edited by snowwman

Posted
3 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

Come on guys? What's new? I torture myself over yet another mundane-looking GFS run only to discover that an epidemic of optimism has suddenly pervaded the thread...Perhaps I missed something whilst watching all those goals, on MoTD, last night?

Come on peeps - what gives?

It gives us some decent cold dry days which is the next best thing to snow in Winter

Hope you didn't miss the utd goal:yahoo:

Posted

Lack of comments say it all, boring Dec with little chance of anything white from the Sky unfortunately!! Early Jan not sounding great neither so will have to settle for a 1947 rather than 63 type winter

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Quite a change between the 06z and 12z with the high still hopeless for snow though

gfsnh-0-240.png?12gfsnh-0-252.png?6

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
6 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Lack of comments say it all, boring Dec with little chance of anything white from the Sky unfortunately!! Early Jan not sounding great neither so will have to settle for a 1947 rather than 63 type winter

GFS 12Z updating. 86% complete, 14% left all to play for. :sorry: Actually as SS as said some changes.

Edited by stewfox
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

im not sure whats worse the UKMO the GFS or the GEM all are shocking for cold one thing to point out is the front loaded winter looks to be in tatters so can we be sure of a mild second half im not 

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, stewfox said:

GFS 12Z updating. 86% complete, 14% left all to play for. :sorry:

Not really sure what you are looking for? Snow hasn't been on the cards all winter and still isn't.

But if its seasonal chilly weather you want , here it is..................which is ok

Rtavn24017.gif

Rtavn2401.gif

Edited by Paul
  • Like 6

Posted

The sooner we get rid of the high the better , it looks like FI the PV weakens which happened in the 06z. The Alps need snow, if we can get some fronts heading W to E down that far then we may have some chance of getting some WAA far enough North to create a proper block and not a rubbishy Euro one. 

Better looking NH for sure, Alps getting some snow too.

IMG_3777.PNG

Edited by Ali1977