Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
2 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I'm not debating whether it's cold or mild, I'm correcting you when you said it was the maximum at 6pm only. And yes, I'm sure.

When I look at the GFS on meteociel they have 2m temps for the actual time period: http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/royaume-uni/temperatures-2m-hd/3h.htm and I assumed wetter was the same! Thanks for correcting me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Apart from some occasional frost and/or fog patches darn sarf and some rain in the NW, things look excruciatingly bland to me...For how long can nothing continue?:D

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Singularity said:

ecmt850.216.png

Despite appearances at 850 hPa, only the yellows over N. Ireland and Scotland represent mild conditions at the surface (it's the mild sector of a low getting entrained into the circulation). The yellows to the south are upper level 'warmth' generated by interaction of the SE flow with the Alps - at the surface it's proper chilly.

I'm sorry I'm not really following that. Whilst I agree with the north south split regarding the surface temps in the UK it looks to me down to the different air structure within the circulation of the high pressure with SE flow over England and SW over Scotland. I'm puzzled as to the location of the mild sector of a low that gets entrained?

ecm_mslp_uv850_eur_10.pngecm_t850_anom_eur_10.png

Edited by knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, booferking said:

I would bank that right now over this high malarkey and yes even  the SOUTH EAST gets snow and the cold shot last up to the big day.:reindeer-emoji:

gensnh-6-1-312.png

gensnh-6-0-312.png

gens-6-2-312.png

Uppers look a bit too marginal for my liking. Higher elevations would doubtless do well. Cold rain for the rest of us. As for that bottom chart which shows snow over large parts of the country, all i will say is that I have yet to see a single one of those charts turn out accurate. Even at 48 hours out they are wildly inaccurate.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

Probably the poorest set of gfs ensembles we've had for a while. None going with any form of "deep" cold apart from 1 blip in the middle of the run which looks a bit rogue in nature.

IMG_4005.GIF

let's hope for an improvement on the afternoon runs!

• Like 2

Posted
32 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

Right, I'm gonna break the rules myself just to say, Mods, break out the 'ban hammers' cos I'm fed up of trawling through dross in this thread. One liners, mild or not mild arguments, to BBQ or not BBQ etc. There's been enough warnings already, time to get tough or its going to be a very long winter irrespective of what the weather brings. 

+1

As a lurker who doesn't understand most of the technical posts but still enjoys reading them anyway to get an idea of which way things may be swinging, it's getting really annoying having to sift through all the petty bickering and overly optimistic/pessimistic one liners that don't add anything to the thread.

(Yes I'm aware this post is also breaking the rules so warn/ban me if needs be)

• Like 6

Posted

Looking at the GEFS for Christmas eve/day, which at that range is as realistic as looking at the Op, quite a few showing a cold flow. Some showing nasty storms and a few even showing snow. With the current model uncertainty, any one of them could be the outcome by Christmas.

Also, not one of them is showing what I would consider "mild" even the ensemble mean is showing around 4°C on Xmas day.

Edit- I missed one. One of them is showing mild.... only one....

Edited by bobbydog
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

What can we do when almost the entire GFS suit flip flops from blocked to mobile run to run?

The 00z was possibly the strongest signal yet for blocking Christmas week and then the 06 comes along and could be among the weakest.

I can certainly see where the MetO forecast is coming from though, high to the East and trough to the West but no undercut/low heights into Europe, so no real snow prospects. That has been the pattern for December, plenty of promise but all unrealised.

No doubt the 12z set will be much keener on building heights North and blocking again in FI. All very frustrating tbh.

If I had to take a wild stab at Christmas weather I would say temps around average in the North, perhaps a little below in the SE, mostly dry.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 5

Posted

gefsens850birmingham0.png?cb=840

Starting to see a bit of agreement out to the 17th ( next weekend looks chilly ) after that it could go absolutely anywhere and I mean anywhere . I'd favour something around average rather than brrrrrrrr or mild

Edited by Banbury
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mild winters, wet & windy summers
46 minutes ago, booferking said:

I would bank that right now over this high malarkey and yes even  the SOUTH EAST gets snow and the cold shot last up to the big day.:reindeer-emoji:

gensnh-6-1-312.png

gensnh-6-0-312.png

gens-6-2-312.png

That would bring breezy weather with rain for most.  Great if you want a white Christmas on Ben Nevis.

• Like 3

Posted
27 minutes ago, Snow Grain said:

That would bring breezy weather with rain for most.  Great if you want a white Christmas on Ben Nevis.

Ireland scotland wales most of england would see snow inland away from the coast but im not going to debate a chart that is 12-13 days away in fi.

Edited by booferking
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

given the outlook im guessing arguments ete over temps in fi shows what a state the nhp is in atm.

id be hoping for a reset in the current set up ie a good nnw blow with wintry showers ete.sick of this euro type blocking sticking around .also the ski industry looks in dire straights atm and needs this change imo

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mucka said:

What can we do when almost the entire GFS suit flip flops from blocked to mobile run to run?

The 00z was possibly the strongest signal yet for blocking Christmas week and then the 06 comes along and could be among the weakest.

I can certainly see where the MetO forecast is coming from though, high to the East and trough to the West but no undercut/low heights into Europe, so no real snow prospects. That has been the pattern for December, plenty of promise but all unrealised.

No doubt the 12z set will be much keener on building heights North and blocking again in FI. All very frustrating tbh.

If I had to take a wild stab at Christmas weather I would say temps around average in the North, perhaps a little below in the SE, mostly dry.

If you look at the last ECM46 ensemble mean chart (Christmas week) for 500-1000 thickness - you can see why models are having such difficulties in solution. Such a narrow corridor between quite extreme thickness values and just tiny oscillations in the pattern give very different outcomes as surface conditions.

ec-ens_nat_taem_gh500_gh500-1000_anom_20

It could be some time before this is resolved.

• Like 8

Posted

Its like after the Lord Mayors show today after some brief excitement last night from the GFS 18hrs run. Once again a rampant jet and too flat upstream pattern at the crucial timeframe scuppers chances of a Scandi high.

Looking at the ECM ensembles theres a small cluster of solutions that have the high further north. Apart from that very little interest upto day ten.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow
13 hours ago, Timmytour said:

The GFS 18z has had me picking toys up off the floor to put back into the pram again......

I came down this morning to find they'd all been chucked out again!!

The models are doing the okey cokey with mild/cold solutions at the moment. Just as it wasn't worth getting too excited with one promising looking run, it's not worth getting too despondent over one run switching away from that promise. I often find that promise sniffs its way into the models thinking and that what shows up as 1 run in four,becomes one in three,becomes one in two and then is all of  sudden in a realistic time frame with a lot of backing....

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

At the risk of being ripped limb from limb for fetching the CFS into whats going to happen in two weeks time, lets have a look at it...
(And before anyone says it, I know that the CFS can be about as reliable as trying to hit 180 on a rotating dart board, but I actually do find it a very good model when looking for 'trends').
... The first image shows the week encompassing Christmas day, and you can see high pressure centred to the north of the UK. This would give us easterly or south easterly winds, but there is a low pressure area just off the coast of Ireland
The second image is from the CFS daily run, and we can see high pressure over to the North east of the UK with quite a vigorous area of low pressure just off the coast of Ireland... This would give us South easterly to southerly winds on the day itself.
And finally lets have a look at the GFS (06z) for the big day itself... This is actually very similar to what the long range CFS is showing, but with a really impressive dartboard low off the coast of Ireland.

My take on the situation is that I think Christmas day itself will see high pressure domination over much of the UK, with winter sunshine; there might be some overnight frost, but no easterly, and no snow unless you're in the highlands of Scotland.
Sorry if that's not what you want to hear (or see), but that's what I'm seeing. :sorry:

And my gut instinct is that this will be quite close to the mark.:closedeyes:

wk3.wk4_20161209.z500.gif

cfs-0-372.png

h500slp (1).png

• Like 2

Posted

Can we talk about anomalies

a high anomaly north of the uk needs to be intense to represent a proper area of high heights as standard climatology has fairly low heights in that area. Conversely, a weak looking high anomoly south of the uk could easily represent white high heights as we would usually find quite high heights to reside there.

looking at the CFS chart above, the high anomoly is north of the uk and this then weakens as we head south into Europe. The reality of this would be a fairly large area of highish heights spread from e Greenland down to se Europe. tough to say exactly where it's strongest at 500hpa but what's certain is that it wont be that large an area come verification. Coldies would want to see it further north and non existent further south allowing a flow east of south and strong enough to advect cold west. The circular shape of most intense variation from normal could offer a clue as to where it may be favoured but we have no idea of if the ridge will extend west towards greeny or se into Europe.  as ever, the heights over Europe are IMO critical to chances of deep cold and snowfall. 

Mucka, not sure I see the GEFS flip flopping that much. They are moving the position of most intense anomoly around but the broad theme is blocked around w Europe. 

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, ManiaMuse said:

+1

As a lurker who doesn't understand most of the technical posts but still enjoys reading them anyway to get an idea of which way things may be swinging, it's getting really annoying having to sift through all the petty bickering and overly optimistic/pessimistic one liners that don't add anything to the thread.

(Yes I'm aware this post is also breaking the rules so warn/ban me if needs be)

Agreed. I'm trying to learn more from those far more knowledgeable than myself but have to trawl through reams of bickering instead of backing up thoughts with models. Its become so bad that if I don't see a chart I tend to disregard the one-liners. PLEASE lets return to serious discussion! 

Posted

i have a feeling that over the next few days the models will move more towards a proper Scandy High, this then allowing a cold pool to develop and move Westwards into the South of the UK

East Anglia could be seeing a proper white Xmas with frequent snow showers.

Watch this space and watch a turn around in the models starting tomorrow  

• Like 6