Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted
6 minutes ago, snowray said:

Only one member but if this is a new trend its got to start somewhere. All eyes on the 00z could be a big one, ECM needs to smell the coffee tomorrow.:D

The ecm ensembles have already had a sip :)

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

What about the mighty BOM

Can't see the BOM but the FIN and NASA disrupt too ;)

Edit: not in a way that brings an easterly, just to be clear!

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
5 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I think the MOGREPS updates 4 times a  day!!!

Oh, good Job I'm not a wiki data finder inputter :oops:

I think next time I'll just let Ian reply lol 

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Now I've just shocked myself - I've just checked every op run - GFS, ECM, JMA, GEM, NAVGEM, ARPEGE, UKMO - and apart from the UKMO they ALL show trough disruption against the block.

That means the GFS 18Z idea is not in the slightest an outlandish one. Indeed, the JMA has arguably a better Scandi high on it. And the UKMO may disrupt later on, maybe?

It will be entirely about how far heights can push north into Scandi. There's a real chance!

The 168hr ukmo chart kindly posted by corinthian earlier possibly showed the best trough disruption of all today's models :)

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Now I've just shocked myself - I've just checked every op run - GFS, ECM, JMA, GEM, NAVGEM, ARPEGE, UKMO - and apart from the UKMO they ALL show trough disruption against the block.

That means the GFS 18Z idea is not in the slightest an outlandish one. Indeed, the JMA has arguably a better Scandi high on it. And the UKMO may disrupt later on, maybe?

It will be entirely about how far heights can push north into Scandi. There's a real chance!

There is a chance, we just have to hope the trend is picked up. Glosea5 still maintains the blocked last week's of Dec, let's hope the other models jump on board the polar express  (not daily express!!). Let the GFS lead the way... can't believe I said that!! There is hope coldies!!:cold:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Oh, good Job I'm not a wiki data inputter :oops:

Theres actually 2 different runs of the MOGREPS - the UK run and the global run, each run 4 times a day.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/modelling-systems/unified-model/weather-forecasting

• Like 1

Posted

The 10th Dec is going to be one of the most important days of model outputs this winter for the UK. The 00z suite is crucial. That scandi high needs to gain traction over the next 24 hours.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
5 minutes ago, Mucka said:

Netweather will be gathering a choir made from members to sing the forums version of 12 days of Christmas. (in this case 7 days)

On the first day of Christmas

my true love said to me:

A cold long fetch Easterly :cold:

On the second day of Christmas

my true love said to me:

Two undercuts :yahoo:

and a cold long fetch Easterly:cold:

On the third day of Christmas

my true love said to me:

Three channel lows :drunk-emoji:

and a cold long fetch Easterly :cold:

On the fourth day of Christmas

my true love said to me:

Four whiteouts :help:

On the fifth day of Christmas

my true love said to me:

Five snow ploughs :reindeer-emoji:

On the sixth day of Christmas

my true love said to me:

Six wild goose chases :diablo:

On the seventh day of Christmas

my true love said to me:

Seven swans a skating :snowman-emoji:

Six wild goose chases :diablo:

Thats brilliant Mucka...wheres frosty btw? he'd love that!:D:santa-emoji:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Some good posts in the past 30 minutes, yes eyes on whether we see a more sharpened trough feature exiting the NE USA seaboard at the 144hrs, which will induce a more pronounced amplified low, allowing the ridge to our east to become more north-south aligned rather than east-west aligned which in turn would force the jetstream on a more NE path, meaning the current progged deep low shown on today's models rather than taking a more east-west path, will be forced NE, and crucially enable heights to build in more strongly from the SE aided by the azores high which will be able to ridge north as well.

I'm not seeing an easy ride for the atlantic zonal train, the ridge to the east looks a strong feature. In time it could very easily anchor itself into a position that enable the UK to sit on the colder side of the jet, before December is out.

I suspect the models will be painting a very different outlook 240 hr timeframe this time next week than they are now.

Damian 

I have read with interest the posts and charts since November. The charts presently scream 2015 all over again going forward with an endless SW flow and BBQ's coming back out. I completely respect all the work done and continuing to be done by the knowledgeable on here and we all know who they are.

I know there are many signals for the global pattern but I have noticed (correct me if I'm wrong) that the power in the jet stream has coincided with the vortex setting up shop in the Canadian sector which is interacting with the warm waters off the Newfoundland area thus creating a steep temp gradient. The same SST pattern was prevalent last year. In 2010 it was the opposite with cold water off Newfoundland and warm waters much further south.

could it be that it is really much simpler at present to look in this area as IMHO the interaction of the vortex with the much warmer SST's are driving our weather patterns here in the U.K. and NW Europe.

I am a coldy through and through but although there definitely are different signals this year they clearly aren't affecting the pattern as much as thought.

Views?

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, blizzard81 said:

The 10th Dec is going to be one of the most important days of model outputs this winter for the UK. The 00z suite is crucial. That scandi high needs to gain traction over the next 24 hours.

I'll be viewing the outputs from behind the sofa tomorrow! It won't be a case of looking well into FI as we have done for signs of hope. Given the set up and the very fine margins my newly designed EEPPS( early exit poll projection system) could well call the Scandi high election by as early as T96hrs or even a bit earlier! It really is that dependent on events within that timeframe.  By latest T96hrs we'd have a good idea of the upstream pattern and whether the trigger shortwave is favourable. As much as I'd like to be up that early to watch the drama of the GFS 00hrs run unfortunately being a bit of a night owl means I'm usually only just turning in by around 2am !

• Like 9

Posted

Wow, disappeared for the evening and come back to 8 new pages - I knew that meant one thing...winter is back on the cards , great reading all the posts in one go that slowly got better and better...big day tomorrow .

GLOSEA could have called this correct, lets hope so. 

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 7

Posted
27 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

I'll be viewing the outputs from behind the sofa tomorrow! It won't be a case of looking well into FI as we have done for signs of hope. Given the set up and the very fine margins my newly designed EEPPS( early exit poll projection system) could well call the Scandi high election by as early as T96hrs or even a bit earlier! It really is that dependent on events within that timeframe.  By latest T96hrs we'd have a good idea of the upstream pattern and whether the trigger shortwave is favourable. As much as I'd like to be up that early to watch the drama of the GFS 00hrs run unfortunately being a bit of a night owl means I'm usually only just turning in by around 2am !

Same here Nick, especially on a weekend :) Will take my first nervous peak around 9am lol. Fingers crossed for something winterlike!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Edit.

Just in case people are wondering why these early morning posts look a little odd it is because I do a running commentary with my thoughts as the run comes out and then edit in the next thought etc.

Never thought to mention that before.

GFS 00z good continuity with 18z with marginal improvements early

gfsnh-0-144.png

Jet profiles 144 00z/18z comparison.

gfs-5-144.pnggfs-5-150.png?18

leading to a sniff of undercut at 144 and the pattern upstream is also slightly more amplified.

Only negative is the jet is a little more powerful

My bones tell me that any Easterly is a red herring and it will be the Atlantic we will eventually look to for blocking be it a retrogressing pattern or Atlantic ridge - but then bones aren't very scientific.

Quite a few changes upstream to recent output on this run though and the PV not looking very organised.

gfsnh-0-210.png

By day 10 things look quite different to the 18z with blocking in control and potential for retrogression.

gfsnh-0-240.png

Edit

Well that escalated quickly

gfsnh-0-288.png

Good ol' GFS FI.

Other than GFS FI Atlantic hurricanes though two things of note

First decent continuity with 18z for better amplification and potentially better blocking say 72 through 120.

Secondly the huge changes upsteam which suggest the output could still be quite volatile through early FI

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

GFS ensembles.

Looks like our friend Shannon is back to haunt the models. Quite high divergence between ensemble members by 144,

Examples.

gensnh-15-1-144.pnggensnh-19-1-144.pnggensnh-16-1-144.pnggensnh-11-1-144.pnggensnh-2-1-144.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Suprised you haven't mentioned the UKMO 0z yet Mucka?

UN120-21.gif I

UN144-21.gif

Ideally, we would like the high a little further north over Lapland, but the intriguing prospect I see there is an attempt to send energy underneath and cut the high off.

• Like 4

Posted

It's nice to suddenly see winter come this close and that I was right: winter doesn't show up in FI and then moves forward, no it suddenly appears between 144-192h and amplifies on the next few runs ;p

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

It's nice to suddenly see winter come this close and that I was right: winter doesn't show up in FI and then moves forward, no it suddenly appears between 144-192h and amplifies on the next few runs ;p

I assume you talking about Kiev? :shok:

gefs_t2ma_5d_eur_37.png

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, knocker said:

gefs_t2ma_5d_eur_37.png

Almost there, for me :p but I also noticed that GFS has a tendency to be much too underestimate the cold on the t2m, even at the +6h, sometimes by as much as 4-5 degrees!

gfsnh-9-168.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
8 minutes ago, knocker said:

gefs_t2ma_5d_eur_37.png

And half of Europe knocker. 00z not as extreme but I would say it shows a colder evolution is possible. The two lobes of the vortex are like a butterfly on the 00z.

gfsnh-0-348.png

Posted

ECM quite flat at day 7, the morning runs haven't built on those from last night showing blocking or Atleast holding the high over Central Europe giving us a SEly feed. Can't say I'm surprised.

IMG_3750.PNG

Nice high in place later on, and it would be a pretty chilly one I reckon.

Edited by Ali1977

Posted
47 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

Almost there, for me :p but I also noticed that GFS has a tendency to be much too underestimate the cold on the t2m, even at the +6h, sometimes by as much as 4-5 degrees!

Well we can always switch to 850mb temps and the Black Sea coasts

gefs_t850a_5d_eur_43.png