Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

I think it is just run to run variation, the 12z control and a few other ensembles weren't that different.

I spoke earlier about this sort of time-frame being the window for any shock turnarounds but the issue is always no undercut so we just get variations in how far N and W heights get before the jet flattens it back out.

If we got a succession of upgrades in this time-frame and more ensemble support it would be worthy of some excitement for sure but we will need a few runs and cross model support before it is worth taking too seriously.

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, radiohead said:

The jet is just too strong, but the potential is there with a few adjustments.

gfs-5-222_ofn3.png

One of the strongest jets of the season as well! GFS going into standard Atlantic default I think!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
13 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

As I mentioned on the previous page its that T96 to T120hrs timeframe which is crucial. Because its at that point you have that phasing and then the energy shoots off ne over the high, with just a bit more going se the high would end up further north and west.

When trying to force energy under a block though you do want this type of high orientation running more ne/sw, you want the high facing the enemy in the Atlantic.

So do you go back on all your winter is over histrionics then? (one run I know but I couldn't help taking the proverbial)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

Please don't hang your hats on a pub run!  I suspect this is the furthest end of the envelope currently available for 7/10 days re possible continental cold surface flow into the east. 

It'll have knock on effects going forward though further into FI...you can see the difference across Europe straight off by day 10. It might just be variation within an envelope but everything has a knock on effect further down the line...especially when we're talking about a trop which is supposedly still disconnected from the strat. Every last ounce of amplification needs to be squeezed out- otherwise we end up like the 12z FI.

Posted

Cold weather probably won't return in mid December. Most of the GEFS ensemble runs show quite a mild air mass aloft and the 2m temperature forecasts suggest it will be quite mild with a temperature inversion unlikely. ??

Think above is right and we are being led down the garden path once and again and AGAIN .:cc_confused:

Posted

It actually did this very evolution on the 12z run which I pointed out earlier but on this run it has developed the cut off upper low to the SE much more It is very much dependent on the disconnect within the ridge allowing some energy to sneak  south.east

gfs_z500a_natl_36.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 5

Posted
5 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Please don't hang your hats on a pub run!  I suspect this is the furthest end of the envelope currently available for 7/10 days re possible continental cold surface flow into the east. 

You maybe correct BA but on the other hand and I am sure you will know this, most "successful" scandi highs are only picked up at short range. There is time for upgrades in the next 24 to 48 hours.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, blizzard81 said:

You maybe correct BA but on the other hand and I am sure you will know this, most "successful" scandi highs are only picked up at short range. There is time for upgrades in the next 24 to 48 hours.

Disagree with that, theres always some ensembles that have corking Easterlies in from at least 300 out when they verify.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
2 hours ago, Spah1 said:

There's hope! 

image.jpg

The MJO has taken the short and curly route :ninja:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
11 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

It'll have knock on effects going forward though further into FI...you can see the difference across Europe straight off by day 10. It might just be variation within an envelope but everything has a knock on effect further down the line...especially when we're talking about a trop which is supposedly still disconnected from the strat. Every last ounce of amplification needs to be squeezed out- otherwise we end up like the 12z FI.

So, those knock on effects I mentioned...

A much more hopeful end to FI than the abomination that was the 12z (effectively a jet circling tightly around or just N of our latitude)

gfsnh-0-360.png?18

gfsnh-0-384.png?18

It's essential now that we eke out as much as we can from that block in the short term.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted

The one wildcard is whether the GFS is overplaying the extent of the Atlantic here. IF it is (even slightly) then things could get very cold indeed.

Of course the cruel irony is that we would be looking at a very dry airmass and pressure would be too high for convection. We need a flow from the east with pressure in the 1015 - 1020 range over the UK. For that the center of the high needs to be further north.

GEFS will be interesting this evening.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Disagree with that, theres always some ensembles that have corking Easterlies in from at least 300 out when they verify.

Nonsense statement. All kinds of options can pop up and verify from 300h due to the spread at that range. Not just easterlies.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
2 hours ago, stewfox said:

First 'models drunk' post of the winter . :sorry: However  I don't think the models are drunk at present

Trouble is although the GFS,UKMO, ECM etc have all meandered , they have all shown reasonable consistency in the last few days out to la la land (T240)

We want the GFS to get p**** over the next few runs and get us  to say wtf  BOOM BOOM with the usual  'of course it wont verify' .  I would give anything for a 'of course it wont verify'

GFS 18z as heard me, starts with a small B, more runs needed

Posted
4 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Heres a quick checklist of things for newbies to look out for tomorrow. These tell you whether prospects improve for cold, lets start with the T72hrs timeframe.

The trough to the west is crucial, the more south this digs the better,  also the angle ahead of the troughing, keep an eye on that the more south/north the flow ahead the more likely you are to develop a better high near Scandi. You also want that troughing to be as elongated as possible and further west.

gfsnh-0-72.png

Onto the T96hrs, and you'll see the shortwave circled red is the trigger to get the cold air westwards, the further sw towards the Low Countries the better the chance and finally the low circled black you want that further south and tilted more nw/se.

gfsnh-0-96.png

Although the GFS does manage to get some of that cold air westwards if you want to aim high and have a chance of the deepest cold and possible convection off the North Sea then the high needs to be further north.

In this type of set up its those early changes which can make a big difference going forward. Lets see what tomorrow brings and although we've seen this upgrade from the GFS its really knife edge stuff with events within T120hrs being so important going forward.

Agree with your theory Nick but the fact that at such a range, the MO, and hardly any ens suggest this that its very very unlikely regarding a big convective Easterly, the Jet is probably too strong even for the battleground but that is slightly more realistic.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing rain heat waves
5 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Heres a quick checklist of things for newbies to look out for tomorrow. These tell you whether prospects improve for cold, lets start with the T72hrs timeframe.

The trough to the west is crucial, the more south this digs the better,  also the angle ahead of the troughing, keep an eye on that the more south/north the flow ahead the more likely you are to develop a better high near Scandi. You also want that troughing to be as elongated as possible and further west.

gfsnh-0-72.png

Onto the T96hrs, and you'll see the shortwave circled red is the trigger to get the cold air westwards, the further sw towards the Low Countries the better the chance and finally the low circled black you want that further south and tilted more nw/se.

gfsnh-0-96.png

Although the GFS does manage to get some of that cold air westwards if you want to aim high and have a chance of the deepest cold and possible convection off the North Sea then the high needs to be further north.

In this type of set up its those early changes which can make a big difference going forward. Lets see what tomorrow brings and although we've seen this upgrade from the GFS its really knife edge stuff with events within T120hrs being so important going forward.

Thank you nick helps people like me to understand charts a lot better learn more.:)

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Seasonality said:

Nonsense statement. All kinds of options can pop up and verify from 300h due to the spread at that range. Not just easterlies.

So your saying that a big Easterly has verified when not one Ens member has supported it at 300 hours??

Edited by feb1991blizzard

Posted
1 minute ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Agree with your theory Nick but the fact that at such a range, the MO, and hardly any ens suggest this that its very very unlikely regarding a big convective Easterly, the Jet is probably too strong even for the battleground but that is slightly more realistic.

I agree , look West its full of power , anything from the East will be very shortlived IMO

Posted

The eps did have a weaker jet in the 10/15 day period than the 00z run   but we're asking for it to be weaker earlier than that. I wouldn't expect that to be likely but we could see a more vertical alignment of the WAA build the ridge a little stronger and perhaps force a more split flow. That's  pretty doubtful which is why it's probably the edge of the envelope but it is feasible.

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

So your saying that a big Easterly has verified when not one Ens member has supported it at 300 hours??

No. I'm clearly not stating that. Stop being silly.

Edited by Seasonality
  • Like 1