Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted
5 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

So which version of the GFS should we put credence in? The normal op or the Para? Does anyone know?

The ensembles ;-)

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, Paul_1978 said:

So which version of the GFS should we put credence in? The normal op or the Para? Does anyone know?

Too early to know yet, best way to look at parallel's is to just use them as another model (a new one), another assistance in forecasting, better to have them showing the outcome you want than not but caution until more knowledge is gleaned (stats) plus also bare in mind that they can be making alterations each day for all we know.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
9 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

Para 100% :D

to be honest though, I'm just happy that we do appear to be getting some agreement that heights are due to rise somewhere close to the uk, with hints starting to appear that pressure could well fall over Europe. A much more positive last 12 hours or so. 

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
22 minutes ago, Catacol said:

Hehe - there we go - every cloud has a silver lining! Let's put the gloom of the last few days into the dustbin of history.

Talking of silver clouds - this forecast is good news for all snow hunters. MJO progression back on track... watch for more amplified runs hitting the ops over the next few days.

twc_globe_mjo_vp200.png

Remember all the MJO forecast sending us spinning down low into 2? Now back around into a higher AAM state. Oh ye of little faith. If the models don't get an initial handle on the most important drivers then op runs have NO chance of being accurate. Human input on this has been superior. Just need the spike to end up a little higher than this below.... probably explains MetO undercertainty in terms of 2 possible outcomes later in the month.

NCPE_phase_21m_small.gif

You can probably imagine how much I wanted to jump onto this yesterday - but it's the most progressive set of ensembles so I'm waiting to see if ECMF move toward such a quick pace of events today.

You know, it could be inferred that yesterday's 12z GFS was in the slow end of the spread shown there, the 00z the fast end and the 06z somewhere in between.

I think, though, the consensus expectation among pros has been for more in the way of 6/7 activity prior to 8/1 than is shown above. Though either way we have the Indo-Pacific forcing that GP has been keen on in recent weeks due to the link with cross-polar ridge from the Pacific to Atlantic sectors. Good signs of that in recent GFS runs too.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Gfs 6z op really is a cracker if it's chilly settled seasonal weather you are looking for as we approach Christmas!

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 8

Posted
1 hour ago, IM NOT REALLY HERE said:

Can somebody please explain bimodal to me? 

The mode is a way of describing a distribution of data in this case ensemble runs.

mode is the most frequently occurring observation.  Unlike means and medians data can have more than one mode.  Bimodal simply means two modes in other words their are two observations occurring with the same frequency.

In the context of Ian's post it would mean there are two distinct clusters in the ensembles.

• Like 4

Posted

All of a sudden it feels like the pendulum is beginning to swing back in our favour somewhat (if it's cold you like). Feet firmly on the ground, but from the 00z, 06z and other updates, my optimism has risen! Let's hope the 12z keeps the theme going.

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Early days but the signal is still there.

gensnh-21-5-384.png

Heights north, lower heights in Europe. Now get it to T0 then ill be happy.

Edited by SN0WM4N
  • Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, knocker said:

But one could equally say  hints at heading into phase 1

DecemberPhase1gt1500mb.gif

Potential 8 aswell 

DecemberPhase8gt1500mb.gif

• Like 1

Posted

ECM ensembles appear to show a steep drop off at the end of the run! With few heading the opposite direction.

IMG_3897.GIF

GFS ensembles aren't without interest either. Some decidedly cold runs in there! 

IMG_3898.GIF

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

A continued trend for things to turn colder as Christmas approaches with some of the ensembles heading towards the freezer

Cy_dOuRWIAAdRyz.jpg

• Like 9

Posted
3 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

A continued trend for things to turn colder as Christmas approaches with some of the ensembles heading towards the freezer

Cy_dOuRWIAAdRyz.jpg

Things are looking up..or looking down as far as temperatures are concerned beyond the mild spell!:)

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

My favourite 'silver lining' is the obvious one: irrespective of what the models, the ensembles, the experts or the MJO forecasts suggest, the weather will do whatever it'll do...If I choose not to view a single model run between now and Christmas (hardly likely, I know!) the weather, on the day, will be exactly the same should I torture myself twice each day?:D

Aren't we gluttons for punishment?:good:

• Like 7

Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

My favourite 'silver lining' is the obvious one: irrespective of what the models, the ensembles, the experts or the MJO forecasts suggest, the weather will do whatever it'll do...If I choose not to view a single model run between now and Christmas (hardly likely, I know!) the weather, on the day, will be exactly the same should I torture myself twice each day?:D

Yuh don't say :whistling:

inspiring stuff Ed :rofl:

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Yes we are Ed but its all in the thrill of the chase, it didn't take long for the encouraging signs to return, hopefully we are on course for a cold christmas and new year, would make a nice change!:santa-emoji:

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny days with the odd cloud.

Some good and clear posts this morning. To all those who have contributed to this forum with good explanation's of what they mean, Thank you.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Yes we are Ed but its all in the thrill of the chase, it didn't take long for the encouraging signs to return, hopefully we are on course for a cold christmas and new year, would make a nice change!:santa-emoji:

Of course. And I'll be torturing myself just the same as everybody else!:cold:

• Like 5