Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 5th December 2016 - Into Winter we go

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
2 minutes ago, Gavin Hannah said:

Wow, just clicked though the 00z run 1040mb High pressure .. are you kidding me.

You mean this one? Not out of the realms of possibility Gavin, as I said in earlier post this isn't the first output to show such an outcome.

gfs-0-384 (2).png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Tomorrow somewhere in the uk should reach 15/16c 60f..BBQ and shorts weather between early / mid Dec..not bad huh!:D

hgt500-1000.png

• Like 5

Posted
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Much improved output this morning imho, that 96-144 absolutely critical.Need the azores high to get north of the UK...

Morning @northwestsnow I made a gif so everyone could see the critical timeframe. I think you've hit the nail on the head.

tempresult_ebh0.gif

Edited by Seasonality
  • Like 4

Posted
12 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

Tomorrow somewhere in the uk should reach 15/16c 60f..BBQ and shorts weather between early / mid Dec..not bad huh!:D

hgt500-1000.png

Good stuff. Hoping for another mild December like last year. Makes commuting and working easier.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

ECM

5th to 11th

Temperatures above average - rain below average

MonthlyAnomalies_T2m_20161205_w1.pngMonthlyAnomalies_Rain_20161205_w1.png

12th to 18th

Temperatures remaining above average - rain below average in the far south above average in the north-west and a weaker signal elsewhere

MonthlyAnomalies_T2m_20161205_w2.pngMonthlyAnomalies_Rain_20161205_w2.png

19th to 25th

Weaker signals for the temperature may be below average for the ROI, NI and Wales but elsewhere no strong signal - rain above average in the west weaker signals for the east

MonthlyAnomalies_T2m_20161205_w3.pngMonthlyAnomalies_Rain_20161205_w3.png

26th to 1st

No strong signals for the temperature - rain below average for the south above average for the far north of England, Scotland, ROI and NI

MonthlyAnomalies_T2m_20161205_w4.pngMonthlyAnomalies_Rain_20161205_w4.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
15 minutes ago, snowy weather said:

Makes commuting and working easier.

Can't argue with that part:D

First mild spell of winter 2016/17 is almost upon us, it's already reached knockers woodshed.

00_15_uk2mtmp.png

00_39_uk2mtmp.png

00_39_mslp850.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Steve Murr said:

Note the proper anomaly-

IMG_9859.PNG

That is the anomaly of 1 run and therefore will obviously be much larger. The previous post that you commented on showed  a mean anomaly in this position which, being an average of 21 runs, was much smaller of course. You dismissed this as just showing slightly less low pressure which for the mean was of course true. In practice though it was showing some runs (6/7) with HLB set against many runs that were climatically normal.

Looking at the mean anomaly at this time shows something similar if a little stronger  due to the increased number of runs now showing HLB.

gens-21-5-384.png

In my view relatively small mean anomalies in the mean can be of significance but do not necessarily mean one of the smaller number of runs is going to come to fruition. Same with other long range products such as EC46. A small +ve deviation from the climate mean can be significant but does not necessarily mean HLB is going to set up shop in this precise region. This is the EC46 3rd week which was put up yesterday evening - shows something very similar apart from also having some lower heights to the SE. Also much as IF alluded to with everything aligned NW-SE

ec-ens_nat_taem_gh500_anom_2016120500_504.png.4f05f4bc1aad8c6004689255af017e7d.png

Note: if we do see a black hole on the mean charts then we are in business

gens-21-5-384.png

Edited by swilliam

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
15 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

ECM

5th to 11th

12th to 18th

Temperatures remaining above average - rain below average in the far south above average in the north-west and a weaker signal elsewhere

19th to 25th

Weaker signals for the temperature may be below average for the ROI, NI and Wales but elsewhere no strong signal - rain above average in the west weaker signals for the east

MonthlyAnomalies_T2m_20161205_w3.pngMonthlyAnomalies_Rain_20161205_w3.png

26th to 1st

No strong signals for the temperature - rain below average for the south above average for the far north of England, Scotland, ROI and NI

MonthlyAnomalies_T2m_20161205_w4.pngMonthlyAnomalies_Rain_20161205_w4.png

15 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

ECM

5th to 11th

12th to 18th

19th to 25th

MonthlyAnomalies_T2m_20161205_w4.png

Apologies for quoting twice.  The quoting system still isn't working properly on my phone.

I wonder what's causing the noticeably higher temp anomalies over the GIN area on W3 & W4 of those charts, especially when compared to W1 & W2?

Posted
19 minutes ago, swilliam said:

gens-21-5-384.png

Not at T+384 it won't. :closedeyes:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:
32 minutes ago, swilliam said:

gens-21-5-384.png

The anomaly I quoted on the day ( check back ) was in a different non favourable place & there was no euro low heights -

Also that mean would now be around T276 - which is still there at that time but still not in the right place -

IMG_9860.PNG

- move onto the t384 mean & its better positioned with slightly lower euro heights-

however at 384 its a little to far out to get excited about-

Edited by Steve Murr

Posted

No significant changes in the ten day time frame. By the end of the EPS a trough to the NW and over Iberia/NW Africa. Positive anomalies to the NE but only slight ridging over Scandinavia. Ergo an upper flow from the westerly quadrant and temps around average.

ecm_eps_z500a_5d_nh_11.pnggefs_z500a_5d_nh_41.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, johnholmes said:

If these charts are anywhere near accurate in the time scales shown then pretty much all the LRF outputs look to be on dodgy ground. Professional and amateur, at least up to Christmas. Much head scratching as to what caused this. The tropical storm over Sri Lanka and SE India has been mentioned but I rather doubt that. One storm seems unlikely to have such a long term effect to me. I could be wrong so please drop your views in here please.

Hi,

I guess it depends. Don't they base it on the most likely from a cluster of options? So, a better question may be was there a cluster showing the referenced outcome and did it become more pronounced after that tropical storm? 

If it was there but was in a minority cluster and that cluster became bigger after that tropical storm, I'm not sure if there is much head scratching to be had, as it was then always known to be a possible outcome.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, High Winds.

According to the GFS and ECMWF, a fairly mild outlook with a brief interlude of cooler conditions on Sunday before a return to mild conditions seems likely.

gfs-1-24.png gfs-1-48.png gfs-1-72.png gfs-1-72.png gfs-1-120.png gfs-1-144.png gfs-1-168.png gfs-1-192.png
ECM0-0.GIF?06-12 ECM0-24.GIF?06-12 ECM0-48.GIF?06-12 ECM0-72.GIF?06-12 ECM0-96.GIF?06-12 ECM0-120.GIF?06-12 ECM0-144.GIF?06-12 ECM0-168.GIF?06-12 ECM0-192.GIF?06-12

Unfortunately, it seems that a mild more than a cold Christmas period is likely and as others have stated in the previous thread, milder conditions are likely to win due to our position and being surrounded by warm seas. However, as you can see from the last chart on both the GFS and ECMWF, I still think there's a chance of colder conditions being present for Christmas.

Edited by Grimers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Mean pressure remains high into Christmas week - only a handful of the ensembles take pressure sub 1020mb

prmslLondon.png

The period from tomorrow to Sunday looks the mildest with temperatures more spring-like than anything else

t2mLondon.png

• Like 4

Posted
7 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Mean pressure remains high into Christmas week - only a handful of the ensembles take pressure sub 1020mb

prmslLondon.png

The period from tomorrow to Sunday looks the mildest with temperatures more spring-like than anything else

t2mLondon.png

Temps look pretty cold on that chart from the 18th, and I would think it will at least be frosty in any clear sky.  A slight realignment of the high could start bringing something a fair bit colder still, not sure any snow just yet as the uppers around the high don't look conducive..  

Over to the 06Z to see if it strengthens the idea!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, High Winds.
2 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Temps look pretty cold on that chart from the 18th, and I would think it will at least be frosty in any clear sky.  A slight realignment of the high could start bringing something a fair bit colder still, not sure any snow just yet as the uppers around the high don't look conducive..  

Well, I'd think if that chart is showing uppers then it'd be too warm for snow anyway.

Edited by Grimers

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Yes Ali, looks like cooling nicely. I'm surprised there isn't more excitement this morning. GP hinted at this turnaround yesterday and the other pros have been sticking to their guns. Colder blocked second half of December looking to be on track.

• Like 3