Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussions 12z 30/11/16

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Well show me a t394 chart that verifies and I'll give you this weeks lottery numbers. Perhaps in 20 years time. At the moment there isn't even a trend there.

It's not whether a T+384 chart verifies, in detail, PIT - it's whether the overall pattern maintains? Should we get to December 13, and the GFS charts verify - it's Bob's yer uncle?

Otherwise, it's 'Oh Sheet'!:good:

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
1 minute ago, Ed Stone said:

It's not whether a T+384 chart verifies, in detail, PIT - it's whether the overall pattern maintains? Should we get to December 13, and the GFS charts verify - it's Bob's yer uncle?

Otherwise, it's 'Oh Sheet'!:good:

It could be that there is a dramatic change at short notice Ed, like flipping a switch..it's happened before!:drunk:

• Like 2

Posted

The next EC and GLOSEA updates could bring a bombshell on here, or delight (if someone posts them that is) I think of all the times coldies want cold it would be late Dec, the signal has been quite pesistant so if that starts disappearing I for one won't be too happy!! 

Anyway, that's not happened yet so hopefully the pub run will deliver us a classic FI treat. 

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Matt H just killed Santa!  Appreciate the honesty and lack of spin. I think the post sums up a discussion we had in here the other night with Crewe Cold who I don't think is about this evening.

There are absolutely no certainties with weather modelling, and regardless of the massive investment in super computers theres simply no way currently of forecasting accurately at longer range.

I think the only recent winter which went bizarrely smoothly in terms of longer range signal was winter 2009/2010. I think its clear that our current background signals aren't as strong as that. With that in mind theres more fluidity to what we'll get and just as we might have had stronger foundations at the time of the last ECM 46 one suspects a few bricks have been removed.

We'll just have to see what transpires over the next week but Matts update might lower expectations.

This isn't a dig at Matt at all, as I happen to think it's better to update forecasts as new data becomes available rather than stand by them and watch them fail ...but

Doesn't that make a complete mockery of seasonal forecasts?

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Matt H just killed Santa!  Appreciate the honesty and lack of spin. I think the post sums up a discussion we had in here the other night with Crewe Cold who I don't think is about this evening.

There are absolutely no certainties with weather modelling, and regardless of the massive investment in super computers theres simply no way currently of forecasting accurately at longer range.

I think the only recent winter which went bizarrely smoothly in terms of longer range signal was winter 2009/2010. I think its clear that our current background signals aren't as strong as that. With that in mind theres more fluidity to what we'll get and just as we might have had stronger foundations at the time of the last ECM 46 one suspects a few bricks have been removed.

We'll just have to see what transpires over the next week but Matts update might lower expectations.

Nyet Nick - Matt H has 'killed' nothing...This might be my last statement, this year, but it's nae winter yet!:good:

• Like 3

Posted

Is there a new model out called dejavu? im sure ive been here before, before, before, before..

As nick said, as sobering ( and probs inevitable) as matts post is, it might help lower expectations.

Fwiw im convinced we are looking at a sinking high and period of mobility.After that, who knows, imho there is way touch energy in that god damned atlantic to allow for any retrograde, for as far as the eye can see..

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, KasimWeatherQuarnford said:

When is the next update?

Someone said Friday for the EC I think.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, KasimWeatherQuarnford said:

When is the next update?

EC46 - run midnight, released 10pm fully tomorrow, GLOSEA is much more regular.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

The next EC and GLOSEA updates could bring a bombshell on here, or delight (if someone posts them that is) I think of all the times coldies want cold it would be late Dec, the signal has been quite pesistant so if that starts disappearing I for one won't be too happy!! 

Anyway, that's not happened yet so hopefully the pub run will deliver us a classic FI treat. 

I'm probably just being pessimistic but I'd be amazed if they kept the signal for cold weather.

Anyone else just think it's kind of inevitable? 

• Like 4

Posted

While we are talking about longer range modelling, Matt only really talked about the sinking, is there any sign of any Greenland height rises by d15 on the eps clusters?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

Oh yes - it could certainly all go wrong. That's why we longer-range meteorologists spend our lives spouting 'ifs' and 'buts' or words to that effect. I won't lie, it does get old after a while :laugh:

Essentially what has to be done is using broad-scale atmospheric phenomena that connect across large distances to see whether or not the dice might be loaded toward a cold and/or snowy number (it's a weird old dice), and if so, by how much. Yet even a penny stuck in the perfect place doesn't remotely guarantee that the desired number(s) will come up.

This is where the phrase 'cautious optimism' really comes into its own. It's the best we can do until relatively short notice!

I wonder though of Matt could clarify what it is he's seeing in the NWP output that's causing him so much concern in the face of longer-term signals? Thanks in advance :hi:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

I am no killjoy but when you see CFS rolling out horror charts like these for Winter you know it may be a long winter where the word "potential" will be a byword for disappointment:

Deccfsnh-2-12-2016.pngJANcfsnh-2-1-2017.pngFEBcfsnh-2-2-2017.png

• Like 2

Posted
46 minutes ago, MattHugo said:

However, here comes the negative thoughts as things stand; Depending on how model guidance (plus other variables) progress within the next week or so I am beginning to lean towards a possible failure in terms of northern blocking becoming dominant. Clearly a lot of the info for a blocked Dec was discussed within the Winter Forecast but this is a quickly evolving situation now and my optimism for the likes of the EC Monthly et al, to come to fruition are, overall, waning now and I think the possibility of something far more 'typical' for a Dec month is gaining some weight, but we shall see.

These background signals always amount to nothing. Same every year with long range forecasts. Hocus pocus crystal ball stuff. If everyone would stick to the reliable time frame there would be no meltdowns in here lol. Not a go at Matt just illustrating that LR FC are useless full stop IMO

Edited by Abyss
  • Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Johnp said:

This isn't a dig at Matt at all, as I happen to think it's better to update forecasts as new data becomes available rather than stand by them and watch them fail ...but

Doesn't that make a complete mockery of seasonal forecasts?

No and I'm not a great lover of longer range forecasting. Science only moves forward by pushing those boundaries, if people don't try and learn more and figure out what went wrong and why then progress won't be made. However I do think to a degree we're trying to solve an impossible puzzle. I think more progress will be made in the two week range but theres just too much chaos in the atmosphere for accurate seasonal forecasting. Now of course we do have things that are easier to forecast which can act as a base line going forward however when you add the subsequent variables that can come into play during that forecast period its incredibly difficult especially when dealing with the UK which can often be at the periphery of the cold.

• Like 4

Posted

Anyone got the longer range ECM EPS? The warm up is clear, but this was expected it's the ones to day 15 that would be good to see if any colder ones cropping up.

IMG_3664.PNG

And Matt ISN'T saying the long range models for a blocked end Dec are wrong , he is just letting us know he isn't so confident. 

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 2

Posted

Chin up folks - winter only begins tomorrow and even though the latest NWP outputs are poor, we know how these can quickly flip.

I am optimistic that the second half of December will deliver some proper wintriness to the UK.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Ali1977 said:

Anyone got the longer range ECM EPS? The warm up is clear, but this was expected it's the ones to fmday 15 that would be good to see if any colder ones cropping up.

IMG_3664.PNG

eps_pluim_tt_06260.png

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Nyet Nick - Matt H has 'killed' nothing...This might be my last statement, this year, but it's nae winter yet!:good:

It was a joke and Matt took it that way! Are you still droning on about not winter yet? lol

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, Tom Jarvis said:

Erm ppl got reports of snow in London 

eh? not possible, uppers getting on for +5°, classic inversion

h850t850eu.png

• Like 1